Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just who was your childhood Albion hero?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That 'owd fella who now works at the KC.

Brian 'Nobby' Horton.

Best captain the Albion ever had. He used to literally drive the team on from midfield and when he played well we were invincible!

He also used to live at the top of my road (Mill Rise, Westdene) and wink at my mum when he walked his dog in his flat cap.

Top player, top geezer, Albion legend.

PG

Freddie Goodwin is spot on: Lawrenson played at no. 10 against Notts Forest in November 1979, and kept that number (and the mid-field position which went with it) for each of the next twenty-nine games, concluding with the 0-0 draw against Everton at the Goldstone.

My favourite player? Probably Barry Rees. But Bill Cassidy and Wally Gould were good players, and Brian Powney was a reliable goalkeeper in the 1960s.

Its comments like these that make me feel old , as you realise certain memories have vanished forever and they are only from 30 odd years ago. Have I got Alzheimers or is it just middle age ?

The latter (hopefully); I have exactly the same experience.
Alec Dawson, Brian Powney, Stewart Henderson and Kit Napier were probably equal favourites with me at the beginning, didn't have a particular one until Alan Duffy came along. After him though, it was the Welsh wizard Sully.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Ah, that means you must have missed my last post on this thread

Help needed please about BHA squad in 1968 - North Stand Chat

I thought you probably just didn't know the answer.

Sorry, i was one of many involved in that thread but did miss your last posting.

It would have been Southern Soccer and filmed from the West Stand. SS could make even the best game look boring, even when Pompey beat fulham something like 6-3. mind you, pompey always played with a brown ball, which didn't show up too well in those old black & white days.

On our 1st season at the top, lawernson was injured early on. We had an awful spell and, following a 4-0 drubbing at Highbury in the LC, we faced Euro Champs Forest away in the next fixture.
Mullery signed peter Suddaby on a free from Blackpool reserves but also, back for that game, lLawrenson came back to play in midfield and wore No 10. We pulled off the shock of the season, winning 1-0 and ending their long unbeaten home record.

I don't remember this LC scoreline (was it that season when we also drew them in the FA Cup?), only the 0-4 reverse on the opening day. But I well remember the Forest game, especially John Robertson missing a pen (saved?). I had only just moved to Mansfield, and was the toast of my new (Stags-supporting) friends in the pub that night!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
John Ruggiero - no idea why though :shrug:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Steve Penny - I think I just felt sorry for him being injured all the time though. Plus the North Stand's chant.

I do remember getting especially excited about Justin Fashanu and Frank Worthington signing - 2 of the games big big names coming to the Goldstone in the mid 80's! I nagged my dad, who never liked football but took us all the same, into taking us to see them play when they signed.

Highly commended - Perry "safe as houses, the goalie in trousers" Digweed. Loyal club servant for many years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
anyone remember the forest away game where lawrenson was back from injury and we won 1-0. Forest hadnt lost at home for 100 years!

Best away day I ever had!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here