Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m not victim blaming. If that’s the best you can come up with.
I mean you were literally saying the protestors bought it on themselves. That’s the dictionary definition of victim blaming, just because you don’t like being called out for it that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I mean you were literally saying the protestors bought it on themselves. That’s the dictionary definition of victim blaming, just because you don’t like being called out for it that doesn’t mean it’s not true.
no i didn’t say that at all. I was putting forwards an example of you can see how it happens. I’m not condoning either the motorist or the protester. Fairly simple if you take the time to consider

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, to be equitable the law should be upheld and admonished evenly.

Protestors actions, I would have thought is arguably ‘behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace’. If that did prove to be so, then the counter is the person dragging them out of the way was acting in a way to stop the said action.

Playing devils advocate here, could protestors who directly delayed a motorist from say job of work and thereby causing a financial loss to motorist be accountable for a damages claim?

By my take on this is if you’re stupid enough and daft enough to enrage people to such a degree that they become apoplectic don’t be surprised if you get hurt.
Looking at the law, it is not a criminal offence to be likely to cause a breach of the peace. You would be bound over to keep the peace.
Physical assault is a criminal offence, and some actions are more ABH.
Notwithstanding, this government has now made it a criminal offence to demonstrate peacefully. There again, their donors include oil companies.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Looking at the law, it is not a criminal offence to be likely to cause a breach of the peace. You would be bound over to keep the peace.
Physical assault is a criminal offence, and some actions are more ABH.
Notwithstanding, this government has now made it a criminal offence to demonstrate peacefully. There again, their donors include oil companies.
Thank you for clarifying.
Its very concerning the gentle erosion of our rights isn’t it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the law says obstructing the highway is an offence. section 137 of Highways act 1980 to be precise. this is why regular demonstrations seek permission.
it would be good if people responded to protestors by citizens arrest. unfortunely they are usually trying to get somewhere so cant really detain them. or failing that, we could spray them down with that orange paint they are fond off. i recall somewhere road users poured milk over them which is especially nice a hour or two later.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They instigated a protest and they were the victims of assault.
Just because you commit one crime, doesn’t mean you can’t be the victim of a subsequent crime.

Would the incident have occurred if they were standing on the side of the road?

If the answer to that is no then they instigated the incident through their actions.

For every action there is a recation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If the answer to that is no then they instigated the incident through their actions.

Clearly you don’t understand law.

They instigated a protest. The drivers instigated the assault.

Committing a crime in response to someone else’s crime/action is very rarely excusable in the eyes of the law.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Clearly you don’t understand law.

They instigated a protest. The drivers instigated the assault.

Committing a crime in response to someone else’s crime/action is very rarely excusable in the eyes of the law.

I understand what happens when a bunch of fuckwits try to block people from going about their day.

This incident never happens without these dummies blocking public access.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Yes, the protesters brought it on themselves. Simple and factual.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the "action" is global warming.

jesus tb, think it thru

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I understand what happens when a bunch of fuckwits try to block people from going about their day.

This incident never happens without these dummies blocking public access.
I’m not saying I disagree with your sentiment or your logic. I’m merely saying that the law won’t support violence against them. And I happen to think that’s correct.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes, the protesters brought it on themselves. Simple and factual.
And thus another victim blamer crawls out of the woodwork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here