Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
China is powering ahead of us in the adoption of renewable energy and what's more they are creating the quantity of scale to provide us with the likes of affordable batteries and solar. Meanwhile they make most of the stuff we consume.

As for the "3rd world" as you call it, they don't have the huge carbon deficit we have. It is us that should be leading from the front.
Unfortunately, China does not put out accurate information, it does not have accurate information. Provinces are tasked with certain efforts, like greening barren land, this is what they are supposed to do.

However, this is what they sometimes do instead.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Despite the hyperbolic frothing at the gash from various media, commentators and other 'anti-them' figures, I'm not sure JSO has actually 'ruined' any of the sporting events it was involved in. A minor bit of disruption here and there – and a LOAD of coverage of the actual act, but nothing about the cause – but no more than that.
JSO protested at Wimbledon, The Open and The Ashes all with almost zero disruption. But all were comprimised by the weather this year.

Its a reminder nature will always have the last laugh....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is this the next non PC term to get offended about?
I was corrected at school by my geography teacher for using the term “third world” in 1989.

It originated from some bizarre configuration back in the 50’s where if you were neither part of the west (first world) or the communist blocs (second world) you could be lumped into a non-descript, indistinct group of nations without their own separate identiies, known as the third world. Much like the term “the dark continent”.

It has been rather offensive for a number of decades now. Mainly for dismissing an entire group of separate, sovereign nations and territories as some kind of ungovernable rabble with interchangeable customs and cultures.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The supreme irony of people flying into fires caused by climate change eh?!

The average idiot that still booked a Greek/Italian/Spanish etc holiday only a few weeks ago deserves those Apocalyptic scenes in my view. Totally predictable.

This latest example of human stupidity is why I’ve argued for a very long time that it is now completely pointless to do anything but enjoy yourself as best you can, with whatever time is left before mass migration, starvation, wars and natural disasters cause collapse of civilisation. As predicted by David Attenborough too. Because if you tried/still want to do anything about climate change, you’re screwed. For many others don’t, inc most governments. Beyond words I mean. Endless words, talking and tokenism.

Mankind cannot be saved from itself. It’s the other animal species that have the misfortune to share this planet with us that I really feel sorry for.

We’re all going down in this proverbial boat, starting with the poorest. Naturally.
I’m afraid I rather agree with you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Other forms of enjoying self are available you know. I wouldn’t advise anyone to head to the Med region in summer. Despite the inferno that’s lasted for 2 weeks now, travel agents here have said people are still booking up to go there. Even if you haven’t been paying attention for several years now, you’ve got to wonder when people will get it into their stupid heads (it’s ok to call someone stupid if they do something stupid btw) seeing enormous fires and record busting temperatures year on year each summer: and still head there. Mostly by plane toboot, for added irony!
People simply don’t believe it. Maybe they will when they see it for themselves.

I’m convinced the majority of people think global warming just means a bit hotter in summer and some bushfires in remote places they’ve never heard of.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I was corrected at school by my geography teacher for using the term “third world” in 1989.

It originated from some bizarre configuration back in the 50’s where if you were neither part of the west (first world) or the communist blocs (second world) you could be lumped into a non-descript, indistinct group of nations without their own separate identiies, known as the third world. Much like the term “the dark continent”.

It has been rather offensive for a number of decades now. Mainly for dismissing an entire group of separate, sovereign nations and territories as some kind of ungovernable rabble with interchangeable customs and cultures.
Weirdly, having gone my life without considering the term "3rd world" remotely offensive (albeit unnecessarily broad brush as as you say), this is the 2nd time in a week I've read/heard somebody called out for using it.
Although considering the alternative suggested on the other occasion was "developing world" I'm not convinced we're making a significant improvement.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Weirdly, having gone my life without considering the term "3rd world" remotely offensive (albeit unnecessarily broad brush as as you say), this is the 2nd time in a week I've read/heard somebody called out for using it.
Although considering the alternative suggested on the other occasion was "developing world" I'm not convinced we're making a significant improvement.
Again “developing world”seems to now be problematic, as they say.

I suppose it’s a move away from dismissing distant lands as some backwards, uncouth rabble.

Can’t see an issue with “developing world”. To me it seems accurate. I think terms that are not overtly offensive and describe something anyone could recognise are useful.

There were no such people as “The Celts” yet we use that term to describe a vast group of largely unconnected people who lived similar lifestyles. It’s useful.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I suppose it’s a move away from dismissing distant lands as some backwards, uncouth rabble.

Can’t see an issue with “developing world”. To me it seems accurate. I think terms that are not overtly offensive and describe something anyone could recognise are useful.

There were no such people as “The Celts” yet we use that term to describe a vast group of largely unconnected people who lived similar lifestyles. It’s useful.
I’m not sure the term third world is that offensive, it’s just demonstrates ignorance. The world is a different place now from 1985

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

To my mind, "developing world" seems as sweeping a generalisation as "3rd world", or any other term that groups countries together by their economic position.
Also, it seems to suggest there's a finished state that nations develop to, at which point they stop developing.
Just to be clear, it doesn't really bother me in the least. At this point I'm just trying to gracefully back out of this thread without inadvertently writing anything that looks really racist to anybody without access to my internal dialogue. :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To my mind, "developing world" seems as sweeping a generalisation as "3rd world", or any other term that groups countries together by their economic position.
Also, it seems to suggest there's a finished state that nations develop to, at which point they stop developing.
Just to be clear, it doesn't really bother me in the least. At this point I'm just trying to gracefully back out of this thread without inadvertently writing anything that looks really racist to anybody without access to my internal dialogue. :lolol:
You’re right.

If it’s any consolation I think in about 20 years the term “FUBAR” will be the most appropriate term for any and all countries!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
People simply don’t believe it. Maybe they will when they see it for themselves.

I’m convinced the majority of people think global warming just means a bit hotter in summer and some bushfires in remote places they’ve never heard of.
This. Last summer most of SW France was on fire amongst many other places. These aren’t the localised or even regional wild fires of my childhood anymore. Pressure on environment has never been greater, yet still, still, people go about their business as if not happening. For the record, there’s no way I’d visit the Med now in summer. Seen it that way for a long time. Because I read and listen to the news. And don’t expect the government to do everything for me in an emergency. People can help themselvss by paying attention and not flying into an inferno.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Despite the hyperbolic frothing at the gash from various media, commentators and other 'anti-them' figures, I'm not sure JSO has actually 'ruined' any of the sporting events it was involved in. A minor bit of disruption here and there – and a LOAD of coverage of the actual act, but nothing about the cause – but no more than that.
I would imagine the ‘minor bit of disruption’ is more luck than judgement. With the invasion on to the square at the recent test match the perpetrators could have damaged the wicket and caused the match to be abandoned. Protests at recent horse racing meets or the motor racing Grand Prix where protesters invaded the track could have been catastrophic - not just for those protesting but for those taking part in the sport.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I would imagine the ‘minor bit of disruption’ is more luck than judgement. With the invasion on to the square at the recent test match the perpetrators could have damaged the wicket and caused the match to be abandoned. Protests at recent horse racing meets or the motor racing Grand Prix where protesters invaded the track could have been catastrophic - not just for those protesting but for those taking part in the sport.
I think the 'could have' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. The JSO folk would've had to do a lot of damage for a match to be abandoned. As noted above, there was far more 'damage' to the pitch done by precipitation than protesters. I'd also say that the actual disruption was completely blown out of all proportion by the media and TV anchors getting shouty and angry. Had they not mentioned it, there would be MUCH less coverage of everything to do with them. Funny how those people haven't figured that out – I guess they need to constantly have a target and Huw Edwards is REALLY old news now.

It also strikes me that the protesters don't seem to be the type that would put themselves in harm's way. And I mean real harm, as in getting run over by a racing car travelling at c.100mph as opposed to being twatted and kicked by an angry anti-protester type.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Imagine disrupting a sports event, causing criminal damage and forcing a match to be abandoned!

abc

Jan 6, 2007

A significant part of my economics degree course focused on 'less developed countries' or LDCs. The phrase 'third world' was never used though they were an excellent band back in the day. But I think we only need to get hung about titles such as these AFTER we have sorted a few of the world's more serious problems.

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Local fire services are saying arson/accident looks likely
Generally the case with most wildfires around the world. It is the extreme dryness caused by climate change that is enabling fires to take hold and spread, but they are invariably started by humans (arson, campfires, bbqs etc). Climate change is caused by humans too. And yet we have an expectation that the same humans will take the action needed to solve it. Difficult to be too optimistic............

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Imagine disrupting a sports event, causing criminal damage and forcing a match to be abandoned!
George Davis wasn't innocent , his conviction was quashed as it was deemed to be unsafe by the then home secretary . Got nicked after release for further armed robberies though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here