Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The supreme irony of people flying into fires caused by climate change eh?!

The average idiot that still booked a Greek/Italian/Spanish etc holiday only a few weeks ago deserves those Apocalyptic scenes in my view. Totally predictable.

This latest example of human stupidity is why I’ve argued for a very long time that it is now completely pointless to do anything but enjoy yourself as best you can, with whatever time is left before mass migration, starvation, wars and natural disasters cause collapse of civilisation. As predicted by David Attenborough too. Because if you tried/still want to do anything about climate change, you’re screwed. For many others don’t, inc most governments. Beyond words I mean. Endless words, talking and tokenism.

Mankind cannot be saved from itself. It’s the other animal species that have the misfortune to share this planet with us that I really feel sorry for.

We’re all going down in this proverbial boat, starting with the poorest. Naturally.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

The average idiot that still booked a Greek/Italian/Spanish etc holiday only a few weeks ago deserves those Apocalyptic scenes in my view. Totally predictable.

This latest example of human stupidity is why I’ve argued for a very long time that it is now completely pointless to do anything but enjoy yourself as best you can, with whatever time is left before mass migration, starvation, wars and natural disasters cause collapse of civilisation. As predicted by David Attenborough too. Because if you tried/still want to do anything about climate change, you’re screwed. For many others don’t, inc most governments. Beyond words I mean. Endless words, talking and tokenism.

Mankind cannot be saved from itself. It’s the other animal species that have the misfortune to share this planet with us that I really feel sorry for.

We’re all going down in this proverbial boat, starting with the poorest. Naturally.
So you're arguing that people should enjoy themselves as best they can, whilst calling people who booked a holiday to Greece/Italy/Spain average idiots. These people are just taking your advice, doing what they want and not worrying about the consequences. And yes I have flown (not much) in the past year before anyone asks.

I completely agree with you about other animal species having the misfortune of sharing the planet with us, although we're only doing what any organism tries to do - reproduce and pass their genes on as much as possible. We are to the planet what a plague of mice are to an Australian grain barn - millions of the buggers everywhere just eating and reproducing. We think we're cleverer than other animals, but we're still too stupid to see how this is probably going to end. Maybe I'm underestimating us.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
this isn’t a political issue it’s a societal one

This absolutely.
I don't think anyone posting on this thread is disputing the seriousness of the climate change problem or the need for urgent national and international action to mitigate it. The lives of millions of people are at risk and some would argue the very future of the human race. Ultimately 'the planet' will be fine as it has undergone massive changes over billions of years and it will no doubt issue a sigh of relief if humans become extinct like the dinosaurs. JSO and most people are thus looking to politicians to take the necessary actoion to save our lives and our future.
However, the economic and social cost will be enormous, long lasting and, if it is going to be effective, it will impact everyone's income and lifestyles. However, if any politician proposes such action the majority of people will vote against them. It’s the nhs syndrome - everyone wants more money spent on it but they will vote against any party that promises to raise taxes to pay for it. The politicians can’t win.
So JSO need to be targeting everyone one of us rather than the politicians so that we, the public, accept that we have to vote for change and accept the costs involved.
It is indeed a societal issue because the politicians can and will only do what we the public will accept. JSO have to get society to vote for change, the politicians will then follow.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Since climate change doesn't care which party one supports, it would be good if all parties agreed an aggressive, joint plan that would run for 30 years no matter which party is in power. The election manifestos can then be compared on the remaining issues (of which there are many) ... but the green/renewable energy/ decarbonisation etc projects are protected and just keep going.
Yes, I know it's not going to happen...nurse is coming with my medication...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So you're arguing that people should enjoy themselves as best they can, whilst calling people who booked a holiday to Greece/Italy/Spain average idiots. These people are just taking your advice, doing what they want and not worrying about the consequences. And yes I have flown (not much) in the past year before anyone asks.
Other forms of enjoying self are available you know. I wouldn’t advise anyone to head to the Med region in summer. Despite the inferno that’s lasted for 2 weeks now, travel agents here have said people are still booking up to go there. Even if you haven’t been paying attention for several years now, you’ve got to wonder when people will get it into their stupid heads (it’s ok to call someone stupid if they do something stupid btw) seeing enormous fires and record busting temperatures year on year each summer: and still head there. Mostly by plane toboot, for added irony!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
This absolutely.
I don't think anyone posting on this thread is disputing the seriousness of the climate change problem or the need for urgent national and international action to mitigate it. The lives of millions of people are at risk and some would argue the very future of the human race. Ultimately 'the planet' will be fine as it has undergone massive changes over billions of years and it will no doubt issue a sigh of relief if humans become extinct like the dinosaurs. JSO and most people are thus looking to politicians to take the necessary actoion to save our lives and our future.
However, the economic and social cost will be enormous, long lasting and, if it is going to be effective, it will impact everyone's income and lifestyles. However, if any politician proposes such action the majority of people will vote against them. It’s the nhs syndrome - everyone wants more money spent on it but they will vote against any party that promises to raise taxes to pay for it. The politicians can’t win.
So JSO need to be targeting everyone one of us rather than the politicians so that we, the public, accept that we have to vote for change and accept the costs involved.
It is indeed a societal issue because the politicians can and will only do what we the public will accept. JSO have to get society to vote for change, the politicians will then follow.

Absolutely.

No government will force people to sacrifice.

People are free to do this voluntarily.

Give up your cars, meat consumption, foreign travel, regular retail consumption.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Since climate change doesn't care which party one supports, it would be good if all parties agreed an aggressive, joint plan that would run for 30 years no matter which party is in power. The election manifestos can then be compared on the remaining issues (of which there are many) ... but the green/renewable energy/ decarbonisation etc projects are protected and just keep going.
Yes, I know it's not going to happen...nurse is coming with my medication...
Sorry this isn't compatible with the Tory Tuffon Street relationship

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This absolutely.
Brilliant post.

Governments aren't going to change until people push the environment higher up their voting priorities list. 13 years of voting Tories in demonstrates where people's heads are at. Voting for a stronger economy to line the pockets of the elite is way above voting for decent climate action no neither party fully embrace progress in this area.

Perhaps it is the electorate not the government that JSO are protesting against?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The political system will not deliver effective climate action. Politicians will run scared of the uninformed masses who vote for what they perceive benefits them (see Uxbridge re ULEZ). JSO doing a great job of publicising the issue that is an absolute emergency. May not work but no better strategy yet in place or offered on this thread. Continuing to burn fossil fuels ends in Armageddon for much of humanity.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Local fire services are saying arson/accident looks likely

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
This absolutely.
I suspect most people in society understand that the UK’s contribution to man made climate change is negligible and even if we went through a “year zero” Pol Pot style revolution overall it would make no difference.

Let JSO go to China, India or 3rd World countries and tell their electorates they need to de-industrialise so they can be poorer. Maybe countries like Cambodia should pull stumps on it tourism sector?
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501312355/cambodia-aims-for-high-tourist-boom-in-2023/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I suspect most people in society understand that the UK’s contribution to man made climate change is negligible and even if we went through a “year zero” Pol Pot style revolution overall it would make no difference.

Let JSO go to China, India or 3rd World countries and tell their electorates they need to de-industrialise so they can be poorer. Maybe countries like Cambodia should pull stumps on it tourism sector?
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501312355/cambodia-aims-for-high-tourist-boom-in-2023/
China is powering ahead of us in the adoption of renewable energy and what's more they are creating the quantity of scale to provide us with the likes of affordable batteries and solar. Meanwhile they make most of the stuff we consume.

As for the "3rd world" as you call it, they don't have the huge carbon deficit we have. It is us that should be leading from the front.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I don’t think you fully understand the need for global action in this particular instance. This isn’t an issue that has any knowledge of, or respect for, national borders.

We’re all going to have to decarbonise, regardless of location. JSO are banging the drum over here, but most developed nations have climate activists who are trying to keep the issue at the forefront of people’s minds.

Your argument for British exceptionalism is ludicrous, the idea that “we shouldn’t bother even trying until everybody else has finished transitioning.”

I also take issue with your false assertion that our emissions are “negligible”.

Here is the data for emissions per capita, as you can see, we’re well within the top half of global emitters.

Frankly, your contributions to this thread appear detached from reality, riddled with outright inaccuracies, and I can’t tell whether you actually believe what you post and are deluded, or you’re just a wind-up merchant.

I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you’re absolutely unwilling to engage with reality by default, then maybe do some basic fact-checking prior to posting.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The political system will not deliver effective climate action. Politicians will run scared of the uninformed masses who vote for what they perceive benefits them (see Uxbridge re ULEZ). JSO doing a great job of publicising the issue that is an absolute emergency. May not work but no better strategy yet in place or offered on this thread. Continuing to burn fossil fuels ends in Armageddon for much of humanity.
At the core of it we have two issues, firstly a publicly that is poorly informed. This is not helped by a large section of our media eroding action of climate change spreading misinformation (this should actually be made illegal) and one billionaire media proprietor that doesn't believe it in or all.

And secondly self interest, many people that aren't prepared to make sacrifices at all, the Americans are probably the worse of all.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
f*** me!!

Still they can't complain, someone chucked some orange dust about while I was trying to watch the snooker.

Meanwhile it wasn't JSO that ruined that Ashes series it was the weather...

Reactions: abc

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
China is powering ahead of us in the adoption of renewable energy and what's more they are creating the quantity of scale to provide us with the likes of affordable batteries and solar. Meanwhile they make most of the stuff we consume.

As for the "3rd world" as you call it, they don't have the huge carbon deficit we have. It is us that should be leading from the front.
This my view of our wonderful country.

Rather than retreat into our own little islands letting the foreign owned media dictate the opinions and concerns of the uneducated masses, we need to take back control and start making this country great again. Rather than looking to flounce international law on things like immigration and borders in Northern Ireland, it’s time we returned to the good old British values of honesty, integrity and leading by example.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
why do they report it on the news?
They would soon get bored with no publicity, or better still spray them with paint and see how they like it

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Meanwhile it wasn't JSO that ruined that Ashes series it was the weather...
Despite the hyperbolic frothing at the gash from various media, commentators and other 'anti-them' figures, I'm not sure JSO has actually 'ruined' any of the sporting events it was involved in. A minor bit of disruption here and there – and a LOAD of coverage of the actual act, but nothing about the cause – but no more than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here