Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Five supporters of the Just Stop Oil climate campaign who conspired to cause gridlock on London’s orbital motorway have been sentenced to lengthy jail terms.

Roger Hallam, Daniel Shaw, Louise Lancaster, Lucia Whittaker De Abreu and Cressida Gethin were found guilty last week of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance for coordinating direct action protests on the M25 over four days in November 2022.

Hallam received a five year sentence on Thursday, while the other four were each sentenced to four years.
Yes, we need more posh people in prison to raise the tone.

Seriously, yes, I think so - maybe slightly harsh, but nowt to complain or protest about.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
they can end their actions now the government stop new licences, right? right?
It remains to be seen whether that policy is compatible with one of energy independence.

Even on a bright day like today we import a good deal of our electricity from abroad, and goodness knows how long it'll take to bring enough nuclear online to replace the gas power stations. Do we really want to be importing foreign gas in the meantime, instead of using our own resources?

Think on that in terms of it's impact on UK economy AND our environmental impact.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good, might make others think b4 causing havoc
I doubt it because they feel their protest is political.

Now, the government has said no more drilling licenses to be issued, they probably won’t need to protest.
We shall see.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No wonder our prisons are full

This is just a peaceful protest. It happens in a civilised society. These prison sentences for this crime are what you would expect from an authoritarian dictatorship.

People get less for GBH, sexual assault, domestic violence

The happy clappy stuff went on for years and nobody listened. They have my every sympathy

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
When the sea is boiling I wonder if the judge will take some time to reflect?
Well he'll be dead.

Or even if he's not, less read papers telling him other people are at fault, or Or some other cognitive dissonance will kick in to absolve himself of any blame.

And to be fair, he's carrying out the sentences guidelines handed down by the tory government

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm clearly a yoghurt knitting urban liberal who constantly gets offended on behalf of others.

But...

After seeing their behaviour outside St. Thomas' Hospital where my mother was a cancer patient and making so much noise those in the ward couldn't sleep...

They can f******* do one and I've told them directly.

To be fair I've spoken to a local leader down here and he apologised for their actions when I told him what happened. They are a rag bag of people to be honest, a number of the protestors are quite elderly.

But they have lost the public. I have 100% support in what they are trying to achieve but 0% support in the way they are going about it.

Do I agree with the prison sentence ? Of course not, completely ridiculous for that sort of crime.

I've have them doing community service helping the emergency services and the NHS, the twats.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
At a time when we’re having to release violent offenders because the prisons are full I’m sure this is a worthwhile endeavour…

Not saying I have a major issue with the sentences for these knobheads, just saying I’d rather lock a few rapists up instead.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yea. They absolutely should be punished for the chaos they have caused and if anything this should be a deterrent for others

References to proportionality to other criminal custodial sentences tells me that it’s these sentences that are too lenient, not those of the protestors.

I have wondered why sentencing guidelines / legislation have never been offered a public opinion referendum to make changes, due to the national outrage, but I suspect it could equally be just as dangerous in the hands of many

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is just a peaceful protest.

Unfortunately having witnessed it first hand, is it bollocks.

My mother had live in carers when she finally got home who were delayed by their actions.

I'm really really sorry those carers have to get in car to get to rural Sussex, but unfortunately.....

Their argument being that whatever is left of my mothers life is less important than climate change. History will take that view, but currently I'm dealing with my mum so f**** off.

It's ok for people's lives now to be at risk (those at the end of their life) as long as future generations are ok. That's the ideology.

A weird form of eco eugenics that's deeply individualistic and anti-societal.

That's clearly their position else they wouldn't be stopping ambulances getting into hospitals. Daily Mail ? - nah, I saw it first hand.

When I spoke to the morons they weren't even that big evil "office block" opposite Westminster they were protesting outside was a major London hospital.

And lastly - what the f*** is it with their bloody drums ? Keeping all the facing wards awake that day. Twats.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It remains to be seen whether that policy is compatible with one of energy independence.

Even on a bright day like today we import a good deal of our electricity from abroad, and goodness knows how long it'll take to bring enough nuclear online to replace the gas power stations. Do we really want to be importing foreign gas in the meantime, instead of using our own resources?

Think on that in terms of it's impact on UK economy AND our environmental impact.
and a fair chunk of that imported energy is from Netherlands, which has similar gas/wind mix to us. however this misses the main point of our largest energy consumption of gas for heating. we have to build out so much extra electric capacity to replace that. then double it to cover EV replacing petrol and diesel.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm clearly a yoghurt knitting urban liberal who constantly gets offended on behalf of others.

But...

After seeing their behaviour outside St. Thomas' Hospital where my mother was a cancer patient and making so much noise those in the ward couldn't sleep...

They can f******* do one and I've told them directly.

To be fair I've spoken to a local leader down here and he apologised for their actions when I told him what happened. They are a rag bag of people to be honest, a number of the protestors are quite elderly.

But they have lost the public. I have 100% support in what they are trying to achieve but 0% support in the way they are going about it.

Do I agree with the prison sentence ? Of course not, completely ridiculous for that sort of crime.

I've have them doing community service helping the emergency services and the NHS, the twats.
A balanced view, and one I agree with.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is no fossil fuel use by 2030.

No air travel, no mass car ownership. No shipping. No consumerism. No plastics.

It is utterly bonkers.

Mass car ownership and plastics are clearly two things that is we got rid of, the world will be a better place I'm afraid.

If you authentically pro capitalism and free market, the removal of such things will create an opportunity to create an alternative.

Otherwise (to me) you sound like a 1970s union leader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here