Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen the first penalty

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Second pen was nailed on and can't believe Greer is not getting more stick. Terribly asleep marking and when he realises Murray is free behind him his response is a shocking two handed shove.

They had a penalty appeal in the first half that could have been given when Greer did the same to Murray.

He looks like he's trying to protect himself by pushing with his hands when going up for the header. If he doesn't stop that look forward to many more penalties where that came from. Especially in the return fixture.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Red card: 100% correct decision, he doesn't get the ball, he takes the man out and denies a goal scoring opportunity
1st penalty: probably went down slightly easily but at the end of the day 99.9% of people would have done the same. Kuszczak did make contact.
2nd penalty: stone wall

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I am more concerned about the way we GAVE THE BALL AWAY YET AGAIN which led to them winning a penalty.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Sorry, but that was nothing that anyone with blue and white blood wouldn't have done at that stage with the game obviously well beyond us. He should have stamped on the fucker while he was down as well.

And then our captain would have been banned for a while, leaving us even more in the shit with players out.

There was no need for him to do it - end of.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Red card: 100% correct decision, he doesn't get the ball, he takes the man out and denies a goal scoring opportunity
1st penalty: probably went down slightly easily but at the end of the day 99.9% of people would have done the same. Kuszczak did make contact.

1st penalty? TK didn't touch him, Murraybasically trod on him then went down.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just watched it and both were penalties and the red card correct - we got what we deserved

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a chance that would be overturned

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Sorry, but that was nothing that anyone with blue and white blood wouldn't have done at that stage with the game obviously well beyond us. He should have stamped on the fucker while he was down as well.

Good idea. Another straight red and 3 match ban.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Red card was a definite red card no question about it. Yes the pass from Bruno was not the best but Dunks control was awful and the tackle deserved a red card. The first penalty debatable sometimes given sometimes not a difficult decision for the ref. Their 2nd one nailed on penalty no dispute. The result was poor but was disguised and caused by the red card without which anything could and may have happened.

If you change this all around and the same scenarios happened to Palace against us we would all be saying definite red card and 2 definite penalties.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I can why the ref gave the first penalty, but in slow motion I reckon Murray initiated the contact.

No doubts about the red card or second pen in my mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me, seeing it on the football league show:

-Red card was right, though on first viewing I did think the fall was a little theatrical)
-The corner they scored from should have been a goal kick
-First pen was a dive, murray made the contact, not Kuszczak. But those are often given at home.
-Second pen was a clear pen. Greer turned to murray and just pushed him. How anyone can argue with that is beyond me.

I understand from the commentary and fans that we didn't start that strongly, but I don't know if that means we would have lost if we kept 11 men on the field. How often do games start with the home team on the front foot before the away team get back into it? How many times do we hear people talking about how a team "just needs to keep it tight for 20mins, silence the crowd" that was something we did with 10 men, even if we weren't getting our foot on it and controlling the game.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Sadly, this is the correct answer.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The odd thing in all this is, if the referee deemed that Kuszczak's challenge on Murray was a foul, which he obviously did, he should have also given him a red card for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. You can't get much clearer than a striker taking the ball round the keeper in the six yard box.

I was half expecting a red and was pretty relieved when it was only yellow, not so much for that game which was already lost, but more for the prospect of having Brezovan in goal for however many matches a suspension is for these days. I did rather wonder if the referee chickened out slightly, having already sent one of our players off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have just watched the FL show with my sons and re run it a number of times and I am convinced that the ref blew and pointed for a free kick just outside of the box prior to Kuszczak bringing down Murray or am I mistaken

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Personally I thought Brighton were very good and didn't look like they had 10 men. CMS missing the one at the start of the second half was a real let off. Just a shame for you that you made 3 really dumb mistakes. Dunk hacked down Bolasie for god knows what reason, Bolasie had already pushed it too far. Kuszczak went for Murray despite Murray having gone too wide to score. And what the hell was Greer doing on that shove? He deserves a fine from Poyet for bloody idiocy.

Like I said, I thought you played very well for 10 men but you brought it on yourselves.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For me, seeing it on the football league show:

-Red card was right, though on first viewing I did think the fall was a little theatrical)
-The corner they scored from should have been a goal kick
-First pen was a dive, murray made the contact, not Kuszczak. But those are often given at home.
-Second pen was a clear pen. Greer turned to murray and just pushed him. How anyone can argue with that is beyond me.

I understand from the commentary and fans that we didn't start that strongly, but I don't know if that means we would have lost if we kept 11 men on the field. How often do games start with the home team on the front foot before the away team get back into it? How many times do we hear people talking about how a team "just needs to keep it tight for 20mins, silence the crowd" that was something we did with 10 men, even if we weren't getting our foot on it and controlling the game.

Sums it up neatly..unfortunately the grieving process still needs to unwind

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Personally I thought Brighton were very good and didn't look like they had 10 men. CMS missing the one at the start of the second half was a real let off. Just a shame for you that you made 3 really dumb mistakes. Dunk hacked down Bolasie for god knows what reason, Bolasie had already pushed it too far. Kuszczak went for Murray despite Murray having gone too wide to score. And what the hell was Greer doing on that shove? He deserves a fine from Poyet for bloody idiocy.

Like I said, I thought you played very well for 10 men but you brought it on yourselves.

Hack? no...but right decision by ref by letter of law
Murray good dive and we know it because he's got a record for it (did it enough for us)
Greer shove most blatant penalty in years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here