Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen the first penalty

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Keeper didn't need to go for it though. Murray had screwed up.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
Won the ball? I have only seen one replay but Dunk was seemed to be nowhere near the ball....I will have a look at it again though. However once a foul was given it could only be red.

I was directly in line with Dunk at the match and thought he had got the ball and the Palarse player made the most of it. Watched it on FLS last night and have to say that Dunk was nowhere near the ball. Poor pass from Bruno and poor control from Dunk put him in a no win situation.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My 2 cents having just seen the incidents on Sky.

Red card - a little harsh, but the other way round at The Amex, we'd all have been screaming for a red.
Pen 1 - Clever play by Murray. Left his back leg out to be clipped and deffo made the most of it. Soft penalty, but the other way round at The Amex, we'd all have been screaming for it
Pen 2 - definite pen

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My first thoughts (from immediately in line with the incident, and a clear view) was that it was a sending off. And Dunk wasn't surprised when it came.

After the match, we were debating whether Dunk should have just let him through to score (or have Kuszczak possibly make a brilliant save) and keep 11 Albion players on the pitch. As CMS might tell you, it IS possible to miss chances like that.

Fergie tells his players to let the play through

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Just watched the football league show.

Sending off-no complaints straight red in my opinion.

1st penalty-clear dive
2nd penalty-penalty, what was Greer thinking?Especially as captain.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Gutted by the clear red card for Dunk I was praising his first touches against Bristol on Tuesday but that was poor by his standards and a very poor decision to lunge in. Thought yesterday the 1st pen was a definite and the 2nd was no way -although I was at the other end of the ground.

Having just re-watched it I'd swap that not sure the 1st was looked to me like Murray made the contact and then went down. As for the second what was Greer thinking? Was it so that his poor heading wasn't tested?

Still poor performance by the Stripes yesterday even with 10 men. The passing was off and the creativity wasn't there as our shape changed due to goin down to 10 men... Poor game...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Red card correct
2nd Pen obviously correct
1st pen - Murray kicked TK with his front leg up near TK's left armpit, having pushed the ball way too far ahead. Should have been a free kick to us and a yellow card to Murray for cheating.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After the match, we were debating whether Dunk should have just let him through to score (or have Kuszczak possibly make a brilliant save) and keep 11 Albion players on the pitch.
In the 80th minute, you take the red card then try and hold on for 10 minutes. In the 7th minute, you let him go. But he tried to win the ball, and was bloody close to doing so - just not close enough.

Should it have been a red card:
Dunk went for the ball and missed, but it wasn't dangerous, so this boils down to whether or not it was a goal-scoring opportunity. Greer could not have got across in time, which makes Dunk affectively the last man. But would Bolasie have got to the ball before Kuszczak? Having watched it a fair few times, I don't think so. I think Kuszczak would simply have collected the ball. So while I don't blame the ref, I don't think Blolasie could have scored, so it shouldn't have been red.

Obviously if Dunk had never gone for the challenge, Bolasie wouldn't have knocked it on so far, but Dunk was allowed to go for the ball, and if he'd pulled out at the end Bolasie would have already knocked it on to Kuszczak.

DWF

Banned
Sep 28, 2011
Red card: 100% correct decision, he doesn't get the ball, he takes the man out and denies a goal scoring opportunity
1st penalty: probably went down slightly easily but at the end of the day 99.9% of people would have done the same. Kuszczak did make contact.
2nd penalty: stone wall

Agree, if the keeper comes flying out he has to get the ball, any contact with the striker will always result in a pen. Your keeper should thank the defender that got back on the goal line, as that saved him a red.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
In the 80th minute, you take the red card then try and hold on for 10 minutes. In the 7th minute, you let him go. But he tried to win the ball, and was bloody close to doing so - just not close enough.

Dunk went for the ball and missed, but it wasn't dangerous, so this boils down to whether or not it was a goal-scoring opportunity. Greer could not have got across in time, which makes Dunk affectively the last man. But would Bolasie have got to the ball before Kuszczak? Having watched it a fair few times, I don't think so. I think Kuszczak would simply have collected the ball. So while I don't blame the ref, I don't think Blolasie could have scored, so it shouldn't have been red.

Obviously if Dunk had never gone for the challenge, Bolasie wouldn't have knocked it on so far, but Dunk was allowed to go for the ball, and if he'd pulled out at the end Bolasie would have already knocked it on to Kuszczak.

Just been talking to a Leeds supporting mate of mine( I know, I know) said the same about the red, Goalie would have got the ball so it was NOT a clear goalscoring opportunity thought it was very harsh.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia

Just been talking to a Leeds supporting mate of mine( I know, I know) said the same about the red, Goalie would have got the ball so it was NOT a clear goalscoring opportunity thought it was very harsh.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well at least that makes two of us. Like I said, I don't really blame the ref, it's only after watching the replay from the side a few times that I 'think' Kuszczak would have got their first (which IMO makes it no booking, just a free kick).

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Red card- 100% correct
First pen- Murray was clever and made sure there was contact, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't, but the keeper made contact, and after pushing the ref, should have joined Dunk.
Second pen - Stonewall

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Under which of these offences do you think the red card was 100% correct.
A player, substitute or substituted player is dismissed from the field of play and shown the red card if he/she commits any of the following offences:
Serious foul play
Violent conduct
Using offensive, racist, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
Spitting at an opponent or any other person
Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper inside his/her own penalty area)
Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick (known as a professional foul or "last hope"/"last man" foul)
Receiving a second caution (yellow card) in the same match

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Post-match ian holloway said "Was it a penalty or not, who knows? I thought the second one definitely was.". That to me is the sort of comment a manager says when he doesn't think it was a penalty, but can't really say "yeah, my man dived there. Bought it, didn't he?"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Under which of these offences do you think the red card was 100% correct.
A player, substitute or substituted player is dismissed from the field of play and shown the red card if he/she commits any of the following offences:
Serious foul play
Violent conduct
Using offensive, racist, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
Spitting at an opponent or any other person
Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper inside his/her own penalty area)
Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick (known as a professional foul or "last hope"/"last man" foul)
Receiving a second caution (yellow card) in the same match

Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here