Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just had a look through, can't see a "Navarro is crap" thread?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Radio Sussex have recently taken to prefacing the team list with something along the lines of "...and Poyet sticks with his slightly unbalanced looking midfield of Bennett, Crofts, Navarro and Dicker ...". Presumably this is because they would like/expect to see a wide man?

Presume therefore that Navarro is taking some flack for GP's tactics. Wonder why Gus sends this four out - what is his strategy?

They're more defensively-minded than if you had, say, Cox or Carole out wide.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
There are plenty of teams who have a "lopsided" midfield, Spurs and England are prime examples. Football doesn't have to be played in straight lines in a rigid 4-4-2

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
There are plenty of teams who have a "lopsided" midfield, Spurs and England are prime examples. Football doesn't have to be played in straight lines in a rigid 4-4-2

True, but in Brighton's example, doing so nullifies one of our better players in Dicker and removes one area of the pitch as an attacking area. Maybe Poyet wants McNulty to push on and play both LB and LM, with a CM covering him when he pushes forward but im not sure it makes us a more potent attacking threat or more solid defensively.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I like the formation Gus is playing at the moment, I think we look a much better passing team and we seem to be creating more chances and more space with the 3 central midfielder playing.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I like the formation Gus is playing at the moment, I think we look a much better passing team and we seem to be creating more chances and more space with the 3 central midfielder playing.

Well its certainly working at the moment so cant really complain. Sure its going to help at Withdean too on a narrower pitch. I just like seeing wingers rampaging down the wing, thats all.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Like you've mentioned already, Navarro was shit under Slade, hence the negative view of him from some posters.

He has improved, and I think he presence in the team allows the the midfield to function well, with Crofts and Dicker able to get forward more. Having said all this, I think we will need to find a player better than him for that postion if we are serious about going up next season.

Yes he has improved, but he was so shit earlier in the season it would have been difficult not to improve. At his best he is an average mid table league 1 player, that's why MK let him go, as their ambition is higher than that and I would hope ours is too!

With Crofts, Dicker and Navarro, we must have the slowest midfield in the country, whatever there strengths are, it is certainly not pace. Watching them trying to chase back to help out the defence is a joke. There is a lot more to football than just being able to make a nice pass every now and then. If we are looking to be a mid table championship side in a couple of years, which is what TB has been saying, non of these 3 will still be playing for us.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Poyet's old teams are Chelsea and Spurs and they are the first two examples I think of with that kind of midfield. I'm not a fan of it either but without intimate knowledge of the fine details about the formation he gives to the players I can't really see how some people are experts

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I'm unsure of the point of this thread. Up until about three weeks ago, Navarro had been shit all season. Against Villa he was OUTSTANDING. Dicker has been outstanding all season and is for me is level-pegging with Forster for player of the season. The reason there wasn't a "Navarro is shit" thread is because he wasn't shit. Isn't that fairly straightforward?

For me, I would be happy to see the central midfield pairing of Navarro and Dicker with Crofts left on the bench. Worked pretty nicely against Wycombe....

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Also, WW, given that you regard Dicker as "shit" because he doesn't directly set up enough goals, why do you regard Navarro so differently when he hasn't set up a single goal all season? Please explain....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Also, WW, given that you regard Dicker as "shit" because he doesn't directly set up enough goals, why do you regard Navarro so differently when he hasn't set up a single goal all season? Please explain....

ok, "shit" is probably harsh, but Dicker doesn't create goals or retain posession.

Navarro IS good at breaking up attacks, whatever people think.

Dicker is good for the pretty football Poyet seems to want to play, but I don't think he's particularly effective. And I certainly don't think he's player of the season!!

Not surprised to see that yet again all the Dicker fans take the opportunity to Navarro and praise Dicker, even though this was a thread about Navarro. I didn't even mention Dicker!!:smile:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
ok, "shit" is probably harsh, but Dicker doesn't create goals or retain posession.

Navarro IS good at breaking up attacks, whatever people think.

Dicker is good for the pretty football Poyet seems to want to play, but I don't think he's particularly effective. And I certainly don't think he's player of the season!!

Not surprised to see that yet again all the Dicker fans take the opportunity to Navarro and praise Dicker, even though this was a thread about Navarro. I didn't even mention Dicker!!:smile:

You truly believe that, on the whole, Dicker doesn't retain possession well?!?? SERIOUSLY?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You truly believe that, on the whole, Dicker doesn't retain possession well?!?? SERIOUSLY?

:lolol:

No. That was a typo. Should have said "regain" !!

Retaining possession is what Dicker, last Saturday aside, is actually good at.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

This basically, i dont care if we play 8-1-1 if it is winning us games and seeing us playing pretty attractive passing football, we are winning games with his current tactics and while the team sheet may not read how some would like, villa showed that the football can be attractive and effective, i recomend people give navarro and this formation at least a month (assuming poyet sticks with it) and see what the results are like, i fully expect them to be good, seeing us push up into midtable.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On the subject of Navarro, he got an 8 in the Argus but a 6 in the Mirror! Very chalk and cheese type of player. Not my type of player, as I may have suggested once or twice!, but I think both he and Dicker are a bit unfortunate that they're both playing so well. Personally, I think it's doing neither of them any favours. They both play a similar role in a different way in my opinion, and I think we'd be better off playing one or the other but all the time they're both playing in a winning team, it's not much of a problem.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Because McNulty is poo at LM.

Maybe give him more of a run there before ruling it out completely though, I think he could be a good left winger, in theory. But it'd be a new role for the guy and he would need a bit of a run in the side there to adjust and get used to the role. Bear in mind he'd been playing at centre back when we signed him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here