Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Gillingham

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Both teams were poor today but the gills nicked it as i felt they might due to new caretaker manager syndrome (Millwall away last year)
Id rather have Mayo at left back than El-abd and that is saying something!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Both teams were poor today but the gills nicked it as i felt they might due to new caretaker manager syndrome (Millwall away last year)
Id rather have Mayo at left back than El-abd and that is saying something!

I would rather put my own mother at left back, instead of Kerry Mayo!

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wilkins is a student of the game and I think that's some of the problem.

He shows too much respect for the opposition, trying to find ways to counter them rather than believing we are good enough for them to be worrying about us.

We should have gone for it today with Robinson on from the start.

Even after the 4-5-1 mistakes, he's still over cautious. Fans can accept defeat if the lads have a go.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Totall agree with Freddie Goodwin, I think sometimes we should just worry about us, not the opposition, as Clough once said ' I cant manage the opponents, so why worry about them'.

Also agree with all the comments and El -Alb, he is not a left back, he is not a midfielder, he is not a right back, maybe 5th choice centre back, he is awful, cant pass, no point in winning and just give it away. Baz yes agree, good sub, not 90 min player, he control is not good. The frenchie needs games, but not as good as Jake. The play today was so slow and no passion and the obly effort was shown near the end and Gillingham were probably the worse team we will play this year.................chips were nice though

So why is it we can see the problems and Wilkins cant, surely we are not all wrong ?, as we all seem to consistant that you play Rents, Jakie and Revell and drop Martot, El-Alb,Baz and not a bad side, which would have won today.

Ref yeah bad, but did not think that was a pen as it just hit him at speed and if it was against us we would have moaned, but should have had another one a bit later.

Same old story with away games this season. Have most of the possession, and lose. We dominated the first half, but didn't test the keeper at all. It was just too pretty, O'Callaghan is a great player but he was poor yesterday, going backwards or playing himself into trouble when he is far better playing the simple ball. Hammond looked ok when going forward, but he seems to be in awe of George and wants to just give the ball to him at times instead of playing forward and looking for players running into the channels.

I thought Bas did ok in the first half, but should have gone off 10 minutes earlier as he was clearly knackered. I agree that Robinson should have started but maybe Wilkins felt we were strong enough to win as it was and to give Martot another game to help him adjust to the pace over here.

My only real criticism of Wilkins is the same as many on here, El-Abd. He is very definitely not a left back. Why play him and have Rents on the bench? This really makes no sense to me at all. I honestly can't see what he offers that Rents doesn't.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Apart from the fact Leyton Orient are well clear the top. How the f*** did that happen??

as they signed the likes of sean thornton, adam boyd and wayne gray to boost their squad?

Sorry - but are you taking the piss?

We were beyond shit today. We had one chance - and Revell fluffed it.
El-Abd was WOEFUL - why the hell didn't he play Rents? And Whing seems to have been taken kicking lessons from Kuipers.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - we were immense last week, so why the hell did Robinson (the only player capable of adding any sort of movement to the team) not come on till the 70th minute? And why replace a left back with El-Abd?!?!

They scored against us AFTER Robinson came on. ???

One chance at scoring, against Gillingham - regardless of domination and superiority and all that stuff - is piss poor. Training. I say again; TRAINING!

Knee-jerk response to the Southend result was to start Savage - but we won that match when he came on and upset Southend's master plan. The spanner in their works, if you will. To put him on from the beginning of a game was not necessarily a good idea, and once again it doesn't play to the team's strengths, but it IS a simple response. Football is not simple - and if it is, then the opposition can negate our plans just as simply.

Robinson has to strike up a good passing rapport with Forster, and get into positions to collect from the likes of O'Callaghan and Cox as well as Forster - then they should get a plethora of chances. If this can't be arranged - then something is up with our training (at risk of repeating myself, but ffs - it's TRAINING! )

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Knee-jerk response to the Southend result was to start Savage - but we won that match when he came on and upset Southend's master plan. The spanner in their works, if you will. To put him on from the beginning of a game was not necessarily a good idea, and once again it doesn't play to the team's strengths, but it IS a simple response. Football is not simple - and if it is, then the opposition can negate our plans just as simply

very true - today we had NOTHING on the bench to come on and change it, with the exception of robinson who tends to blow hot and cold. at least with savage there, who on yesterdays performance is clearly not good enough to start, we have someone who can come on and offer us a chance to change the game

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
very true - today we had NOTHING on the bench to come on and change it, with the exception of robinson who tends to blow hot and cold. at least with savage there, who on yesterdays performance is clearly not good enough to start, we have someone who can come on and offer us a chance to change the game

Bit harsh on Revell???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We've won three, we've lost three. Name the player who started for all of the wins, but none of the losses.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yesterday was just so, so frustrating against a very poor Gillingham side (Sodje aside, who was best player on the pitch). I think it was the first time this season I really expected us to win, so to not even get a point is a real disappointment.

We completely bossed the first-half with Hammond and Hollywood George running the show. But, and this is the big but that has got to be put right in training, for all the possession we have, and for all the 40-yard raking balls for Cox and Martot to get in behind the full-backs, if there is no final product we will not score. End of. With all the good positions we found ourselves in (most notably Martot on several occasions), we should have been out of sight at the break. But woeful crossing and poor decision making led to a grand total zero shots on target. I think we only had two in the second half and one of them was a weakish free-kick. We can't rely on dodgy penalties to get us a goal every week.

Also, a few thoughts on a couple of players.
Whing – absolutely superb first-half display.
Bas – not for me, thanks. Revell has more energy, more threat and is a better header.
El-Abd – despite one dodgy back pass, didn't see much else he did wrong. Was hard in the tackle, won numerous headers and linked well with Cox. I'm not his greatest fan at all, but was no way near as bad yesterday as some have said.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Bit harsh on Revell???

possibly - but he is the sort of bloke who comes on, gives 100% but lacks the ability to make something really happen. since christmas, his goals have virtually dried up completely

ok, bas doesnt have that much skill, but there is just something about him that when he comes on he makes things happen. maybe its his unauthordox style. ones thing for certain, i have no confidence in revell coming off the bench and changing a game, and i dont think any of our strikers bar bas can do that - possibly wit hthe exception of elder, although having never see him play i cant really comment on it!

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Wilkins is a student of the game and I think that's some of the problem.

He shows too much respect for the opposition, trying to find ways to counter them rather than believing we are good enough for them to be worrying about us.

We should have gone for it today with Robinson on from the start.

Even after the 4-5-1 mistakes, he's still over cautious. Fans can accept defeat if the lads have a go.

Spot on. We should have played Robinson from the start, and probably Revell too. Last Friday proved we CAN at long last give certain sides a good stuffing. Apparently Dean White went to watch Southend stuff Gillingham 3-0 last weekend, so why the bloody hell do we end up giving Gillingham so much respect? It'll be interesting to see what we do at home to Yeovil next week - another big team which relies on physical presence. Hopefully we will try to get the ball down and play some fast attacking football. Hopefully we'll also get a decent ref.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here