Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Gillingham

A very poor performance not helped by a ref who decided early on that whenever their number 14 fell over, dived or fouled our players-he would award him a free kick. Every time.

The ref wasn't the reason we lost today but he certainly contributed to the result.

Despite being the fans favourite, Bas Savage should not be starting too many games...he was knackered not long after the start of the second half and should have been subbed sooner than he was. Much more effective coming on when the opposition players are tiring.

Also, can somebody explain why we kept going backwards?

Just not a good day for us and another away game without a point and another game without a goal. Bit alarming.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I have to say that for all ElAbds effort and tackles his ability to give the ball away in dangerous situations and his lack of concentration through 90 mins make him a liability.

The movement up front was poor until the substitutions.

On the plus side the confidence on the ball and the midfield movement was superb.

How a two handed hand ball in the area is not a penalty is beyond me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good day out bar the 90 minutes of pathetic football if we had any belief we were going to do something this season today proves we won't.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some of us knew THIS in June :angry::angry::angry:

I really think the manager needs to be in the dug out from the beginning I have no confidence in White

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
actually I thought Box to Box we passed quite well, however creativity was non existant and very very dissapointing!

I thought the frenchie did get in positions, but his crossing wa spoor...I am sorry but Baz is not a 90 minute man...el abd was dreadful and Hammond was awful.

Apart from that we played poorly and deserved nothing from the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
actually I thought Box to Box we passed quite well, however creativity was non existant and very very dissapointing!

I thought the frenchie did get in positions, but his crossing wa spoor...I am sorry but Baz is not a 90 minute man...el abd was dreadful and Hammond was awful.

Apart from that we played poorly and deserved nothing from the game.

Did you enjoy your fish and chips though :bigwave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I did thanks.....

BTW Sodje was the best player on the pitch by a country mile

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
I'd go along with the view that Sodje was superb - Forster was basically in his pocket all match, as evidenced by a truly awful dive in the first half. I think we need a range of blue and white striped bandanas for our back four.

What we lacked was any real drive from midfield. O'Callaghan tends to sit back and likes to play with the game in front of him, so I was looking for Hammond to really have a go from midfield, but he never really did that. Too often we wanted one more pass to make the perfect chance instead of taking a shot, with the result that by and large Royce had a comfortable afternoon.

Having said all that, I didn't expect to lose, and their goal was particularly soft. A nothing ball like that should be dealt with easily enough.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Right where do I start, why the hell did he play El-Abd at left back. When we have a naturally gifted left back on the bench in Sam Rents. Martot needs to adapt real fast, or he will not make it in England. But I'm still wondering why, we dropped Robinson for him anyway. because on Friday night he was immense and really should of started again today. When we got round the box today, we looked totally indecisive about shooting at goal. Royce only had one save to make, in the WHOLE entire game. And that was from George free-kick in the second half. Forster was non-existent all game, I've said this way to many times now and I'm literally getting quite sick of saying this. We need to give the ball to his feet, or we'll not see him score.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I was just about to post exactly what JSD has about Sodje - he kept Forster competely out of the match. As for Hammond being "awful" (DTG), was he actually on the pitch? I'll believe you, but I kept my vision on the ball for most of the match, and I didn't spot him anywhere near it once.

However, we did not deserve to lose that game, and at home a linesman would probably have had the balls to flag for the blatant handball (it was worse from him than the ref not to give it).

I'm just glad I live in SE London so only had a 30 minute journey home...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you should realise that there is a new FA guideline on handballs this season and when the ball strikes a players hand at speed like today that is classed as not deliberate so not a free kick / penalty.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Of course. The speed of the ball was responsible for the defender's decision to raise his hand as he went in.

:angry: (not at you BH)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Of course. The speed of the ball was responsible for the defender's decision to raise his hand as he went in.

:angry: (not at you BH)

It is a new directive which leads to more confusion

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'll be honest, it's the first I've heard. Does it include blocking powerful goal-bound shots on the line?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll be honest, it's the first I've heard. Does it include blocking powerful goal-bound shots on the line?

No idea and bound to cause further confusion

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They spent about half the match on the phone to each other.

So that would explain why we've signed close to bugger all this summer. Wilkins has decided to put the transfer budget to mobile phone bills!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here