Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The think that makes Enciso different is that its almost impossible to predict what he is going to do, most (all?) of our other players play to the system he doesn't . For some that is heresy for me it marks him out as potentially a great rather than good player.
Shoot.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Julio is generally great,with the occasional frustrating moment - very happy he's with us.
He matured quickly with us:
- high work rate
- some very good assists (remember one or two to Gross last year, or before)
- the occasional worldie
- takes excellent corners
- fantastic impact sub at least
What's not to like 🤷🏼‍♂️
For me, he just needs to be coached to shoot lower... they don't all need to go top bins.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He was fantastic fun last night. In the second half, he seemed to tell Lamptey 'I've got it from here' as he almost tackled him to take over the forward run he was on*. When he then passed to Lamps on the overlap and Lamptey tried to set him up with the cross, one of our lot laughed 'No way would I have given it back to him'. Mind you, he'd earlier said 'No way is he passing' when Sarmiento overlapped JE's brilliant turn and run for the second goal.

He was knackered when he was subbed, but had a look on his face like a seven year old being called in early for his tea when he saw his number. He looked almost about to scream 'BUT I HAVEN'T SCORED YET!' Okay he'll take more pot shots than Izqueirdo, and he'll sometimes try to beat three players instead of playing in a teammate, but he's absolutely the sort of player that makes football the magic tonic it can be.

* Be grateful if anyone has a clip of this.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He was absolutely awful yesterday and by far the worst sinner in the poor first half. The desperate, pointless shooting, the failed dribbles, the poor deciding passes (the few times he felt like pretending to be a team player). He was Crawleys best ball winner.

He was interesting in scoring a goal and quite clearly couldn't give a shit on whether that ambition hampered his teammates attempt to win the game or not.

Never becoming a starter for Brighton if he doesn't become more selfless.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He was absolutely awful yesterday and by far the worst sinner in the poor first half. The desperate, pointless shooting, the failed dribbles, the poor deciding passes (the few times he felt like pretending to be a team player). He was Crawleys best ball winner.

He was interesting in scoring a goal and quite clearly couldn't give a shit on whether that ambition hampered his teammates attempt to win the game or not.

You have no romance in your soul. :ROFLMAO:

That's the sort of attitude that picks Seb Coe over Steve Ovett, Steve Davis over Alex Higgins, Bryan Robson over Glenn Hoddle, Stephen Hendry over Jimmy White, Radiohead over the Fall, vanilla ice cream over a knickerbocker glory, marguerita over the speciality pizza, 'Terry and June' over 'The Young Ones', Paul Whiteman over Ornette Coleman, Tin Tin over Asterix, Swapshop over Tiswas, Peter Hitchens over Chirstopher Hitchens and Jim Carey playing Andy Kaufman over Andy Kaufman.

(I'd add the Beatles over the Kinks, but it might be a red rag to a herd of bulls).

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You've watched it again and you still think there's nothing wrong with the ball from Sarmiento!
I think you can argue it. There's only so much you can cut a ball back when you're running to the line. the more you try to play it back from the way you're running the more chance of a mis-hit. I'm happy to put this on the Sarmiento thread and debate.

What you can't argue is that Enciso is just ambling. Any sort of natural goal scorer recognises that there is a massive chance to get a goal, if only he can put in a sprint to get into the box. This in conjunction with the lack of getting back from offside positions meant I was disappointed with his performance and I admit, for the first time allowed myself to question whether the lad is a bit Marcus Rashford

I've nothing against Enciso and happy to give him the benefit that he's not match fit. I just think a manager will see this stuff and conclude others are currently more suited to a first team role

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024

Come off it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I just think it's only pointless when it doesn't go in. The one in the first half wasn't far off, he's obviously scored from further out before. Enciso is the only player we've had in the PL era who actually looks convincing from range

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think you can argue it. There's only so much you can cut a ball back when you're running to the line. the more you try to play it back from the way you're running the more chance of a mis-hit. I'm happy to put this on the Sarmiento thread and debate.

What you can't argue is that Enciso is just ambling. Any sort of natural goal scorer recognises that there is a massive chance to get a goal, if only he can put in a sprint to get into the box. This in conjunction with the lack of getting back from offside positions meant I was disappointed with his performance and I admit, for the first time allowed myself to question whether the lad is a bit Marcus Rashford

I've nothing against Enciso and happy to give him the benefit that he's not match fit. I just think a manager will see this stuff and conclude others are currently more suited to a first team role
He was IN THE RIGHT PLACE, in a big space, miles from any defender. Why would he want to 'put in a sprint' in order to get himself to the WRONG PLACE, where the defender had a chance to close down his eventual shot?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He was IN THE RIGHT PLACE, in a big space, miles from any defender. Why would he want to 'put in a sprint' in order to get himself to the WRONG PLACE, where the defender had a chance to close down his eventual shot?
Because, if he's further forward he gets there before the defender

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I love Julio Enciso and think he's potentially our best player if he can stay fit and get a real run in the team. I think our having a half dozen quality attacking options is great news for him so he can come into and out of the starting line up, he can play 20 mins against tired legs and make an impact and play 60 mins in other games. I think he's lost a year of development which is a real shame but I think he's going to catch that up really quickly and by the end of the season he will be so good it will be impossible to see how we can keep him for next season.

At which point, I'm sure there will be offers in the region of £80m and ultimately, I imagine him going to Manchester City.

I've upset myself.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003

I'm in agreement with a lot of what you've said, although i don't agree with the 'absolute awful' part.

I only watched on TV admittedly, but I thought (the wonder bit of skill notwithstanding) he was undercooked, greedy and too desperate to score when a pass would have been better. I don't think he was more than 5.5 out of 10 last night. Disappointing.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It was a terrible pass with all the time in the world, gave the defender every chance to get there.

I am very surprised by your comment(s)!
Yup. No fault from Julio in that situation. Poor pass and good save.
Is the data made available that shows distance players run in a game
Nope not any more. You have to pay good money to get access to that data.

I'm in agreement with a lot of what you've said, although i don't agree with the 'absolute awful' part.

I only watched on TV admittedly, but I thought (the wonder bit of skill notwithstanding) he was undercooked, greedy and too desperate to score when a pass would have been better. I don't think he was more than 5.5 out of 10 last night. Disappointing.
Well, awful as in compared to what he's should do and is capable of doing.

DJ Chi

Mar 10, 2023
I love Julio Enciso and think he's potentially our best player if he can stay fit and get a real run in the team. I think our having a half dozen quality attacking options is great news for him so he can come into and out of the starting line up, he can play 20 mins against tired legs and make an impact and play 60 mins in other games. I think he's lost a year of development which is a real shame but I think he's going to catch that up really quickly and by the end of the season he will be so good it will be impossible to see how we can keep him for next season.

At which point, I'm sure there will be offers in the region of £80m and ultimately, I imagine him going to Manchester City.

I've upset myself.
Agree with the development thing. In the game against Wolves last season just before he got injured, there was a 20 minute period at the start of the second half where he was unplayable, it was like we had prime Phil Foden in our ranks. If he can rediscover that balance he is potentially our best player, agree

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Whoosh. But he played in the second half...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here