Jimmy Greaves (briefly)
Mark Hughes
David Platt
Becks
Er....
Gaz.....no

We don't have the language skills.
Plus, the money is better here.

John Charles was the greatest export. British, but Welsh. Does that count?
Gazza was superb at Lazio. McManaman won the Champions League twice with Real.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gazza was superb at Lazio. McManaman won the Champions League twice with Real.
Gazza graced Lazio with 47 appearances in 3 years, half of them in the first season. He scored 6 goals. Superb you say? ???
He was a big star in the monkey-tennis league, though - 39 goals in 104 appearances. And he played an imaginary flute!

Macca indeed scored a goal in a CL final, but "it is believed that McManaman also forced himself to reinvent his game and transform himself with a versatility that enabled him to play utility roles in the side, thus helping him shake off a nickname he was initially given by the Spanish press, El Cartero ("the postman"), which suggested that his delivery was unpredictable. It was widely regarded as a credit to McManaman that he managed to constantly reinvent himself to be effective and useful in a squad that was widely regarded at the time as the "best team in the world" under the Galácticos policy." Hardly 'superb'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Macca indeed scored a goal in a CL final, but "it is believed that McManaman also forced himself to reinvent his game and transform himself with a versatility that enabled him to play utility roles in the side, thus helping him shake off a nickname he was initially given by the Spanish press, El Cartero ("the postman"), which suggested that his delivery was unpredictable. It was widely regarded as a credit to McManaman that he managed to constantly reinvent himself to be effective and useful in a squad that was widely regarded at the time as the "best team in the world" under the Galácticos policy." Hardly 'superb'

What a dreadful, random stream of contradictory drivel. In one single sentence it attempts to cast shade at McManaman, whilst simultaneously noting that he was a useful part of the best team in the world. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a dreadful, random stream of contradictory drivel. In one single sentence it attempts to cast shade at McManaman, whilst simultaneously noting that he was a useful part of the best team in the world. :shrug:
Are you arguing with wikipedia? ???

Good luck with that :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
wikipedia isn't a person :shrug:

Any fool can opine on matters they may or may not be well qualified to judge.

As proven here.
I gather you're a Macca fan.

I'm not.

To be very honest

:wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I gather you're a Macca fan.

I'm not.

To be very honest

:wink:
I can't abide the bloke (as a pundit / broadcaster).

But to suggest to exclude him from a list of British overseas football successes, on the basis that he was merely 'useful' and 'effective' in the best team in the world, is - to put it politely - stupid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I liked him as a player, even enjoyed his unpredictability. However, these days, I just wish he'd stop talking.

There was fly-on-wall ManU documentary circa 1997, with actual changing room footage of Fergie. Despite them at that time having a far superior team, his big thing was stopping McMananaman. I think a few expletives were aimed at defenders, the hairdryer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't abide the bloke (as a pundit / broadcaster).

But to suggest to exclude him from a list of British overseas football successes, on the basis that he was merely 'useful' and 'effective' in the best team in the world, is - to put it politely - stupid.
I wasn't suggesting exclusion. And success is relative. I was merely reporting comments that are facts.

How do you stand on Gareth Bale? I think he won 4 Champions' league medals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wasn't suggesting exclusion. And success is relative. I was merely reporting comments that are facts.

How do you stand on Gareth Bale? I think he won 4 Champions' league medals.
No you were not - you were posting opinions cribbed from wiki, that were entirely subjective, rather than 'facts'. Appearances, goals, assists and medals are the only facts.

Bale was one of Real Madrid's most important players at a time of great success. The relationship soured in his final season, but the FACTS are unarguable. He's probably the most successful Brit abroad of all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

As proven here.
It’s like the phrase that’s crept in recently - ‘according to Twitter we’re interested in x player’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No you were not - you were posting opinions cribbed from wiki, that were entirely subjective, rather than 'facts'. Appearances, goals, assists and medals are the only facts.

Bale was one of Real Madrid's most important players at a time of great success. The relationship soured in his final season, but the FACTS are unarguable. He's probably the most successful Brit abroad of all.
Oh, for goodness' sake. Here are some facts, then.

1. McManaman.

1698685587747.png

2. Gazza Bale:

1698685754647.png

3. Let's compare with Harry Kane:

1698685862426.png

McM......seems to have been a bit part player even in his last season with Liverpool. Injuries? Didn't exactly set the world alight when he came back to the UK (Citeh). m'eh.

Bale....pfui. We have all seen what he can do but his facts at Madrid are unimpressive. He didn't play often enough.

Kane, by contrast shows what success looks like (at Spurs, and so far it is looking good in Germany)

I am not saying that McM and Bale are shite, but I also do not see any evidence that they were a rip roaring success either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As proven here.
I think you underestimate Wikipedia. And this is a very exhaustive page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McManaman

I remember remarking to a colleague how good a Wiki page was for a particular topic. He is a world expert on that topic. His reply was "It should be good - I wrote it".

??? :wink:

(I a being a tad provocative about McM, to be very honest. Apologies for that. My recollection was that he looked very good early on at Liverpool, but tended to blow hot and cold, a 'spice boy', flattering to deceive, and that letting him go to Real Madrid (where they love El Beatles) looked like a shrewd bit of business. Yes I saw him score the third goal in the European Cup Final, and I actually wanted to like him as a player, but found it a tough ask. As for Bale, he has had his flashes of brilliance in Spain, but he has grossly underachieved in comparison with what we might have expected from him, a man of extreme talent. He may have lots of medals but Harry Kane has presently none; Bale has benefitted from 'being there', whereas Kane suffered from being at Spuds. The bottom line is that if we are struggling to name ten great British exports to Europe, when we can easily name ten amazing imports (probably ten each from several countries) then it is fair to say we are not a great exporter of players to foreign leagues. That was my only point, before you came a-quibbling).

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My Spanish colleague (based in Madrid) who is a Real supporter absolutly loves Jude Bellingham. He was messaging me this moring, as you can imagine he was very happy about Jude scoring the 92nd winner over Barcelona over the weekend.

He is always congratulating me on Brighton reults, even saying to me the the tatics that Fulham played were beacuase Brighton are such a fantastic team and other teams are scared to play against them.

Only seems fair that I help fix his netowrk issue :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here