Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JPT match next week

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. Also how many grounds in Sussex are up to football league standards, which I would guess they'd need to be to host a completive game.

Probably only Withdean at the moment although some could be improved but I wouldnt think Worthing or Eastbouirne Borough are anywhere near up to League standard. Crawley may be near to.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Anyone who says the JPT is a waste of time is talking out of their arse. Last year I went with a mate, who is a Donny Rovers fan, to Cardiff to see the final against Bristol Rovers. Try telling the 60,000+ fans that watched that it was a waste of time. I understand Donny earnt £1m in prize money and gate receipts. Just think what we could do with £1m.

I will be there Wednesday night but I would be surprised if the crowd is over 2,000. How many tickets do you think we would sell if we got to Wembley?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I agree Andy.
I went to the Wrexham v Southend game a couple of years ago at the Millenium stadium. Fran Hagarty and I were part of the Wrexham signed shirts procession around the pitch before the game (wearing our Brighton shirts) along with fans from other clubs.
It was a brilliant experience (not as good as our playoff final) and very enjoyable. Wrexham won 2-0 in extra time.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone who says the JPT is a waste of time is talking out of their arse. Last year I went with a mate, who is a Donny Rovers fan, to Cardiff to see the final against Bristol Rovers. Try telling the 60,000+ fans that watched that it was a waste of time. I understand Donny earnt £1m in prize money and gate receipts. Just think what we could do with £1m.

I will be there Wednesday night but I would be surprised if the crowd is over 2,000. How many tickets do you think we would sell if we got to Wembley?
I am not talking out of my arse, you went to the FINAL. Speaking as a Big Game Charlie that could well be worth going to and yes of course we'll sell more tickets. I will probably go myself if we get there. However as I mentioned earlier I went to one of the early rounds last season (Boston); it was just AWFUL and I will not be repeating the experience. Feel free to attend and I hope you enjoy it, but don't criticise those who don't share your passion. See Hiney's post about 'uberfans'.

Well I think that's just our different perspectives. The fact that it's not a prestigious competition is precisely why I'm not interested; as I said I rate the FA Youth Cup higher even though that doesn't involve our 1st team. Because it's a two-bob trophy I can't really get that excited about the prospect of a Wembley final either - although I'll probably go. For me the early JPT games are little more than mid-season friendlies.

I don't think all football matches ARE equal, which is why I went last night almost out of a sense of duty whereas I was looking forward to the Leeds game. Perhaps sadly I think the attendance figures prove more people think like me than they do you.

Storer68 - But they were crap when they won them.

and if you keep to your theory there's no point any of us going to the FA Cup as we are always totally shit at it (apart from one year in 105)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
and if you keep to your theory there's no point any of us going to the FA Cup as we are always totally shit at it (apart from one year in 105)
That's not what I'm saying at all! The FA Cup is the EXACT opposite of the Johnsons Piss Pot; I don't know how you can begin to compare them! The FA Cup is (still) a national institution with a global audience for the final. The 1st Round and 3rd Round are up there with the Grand National in the terms of Great Sporting Days. FA Cup Final tickets are like goldust and even though we've got no chance of winning it we could still get through the first two rounds and end up with a visit to the Emirates, Anfield or Old Trafford. I would willingly swap the JPT final for a 3rd round match at a big Premiership club and I'm sure I'm not alone.

At best the JPT will just be a series of crap teams, poor crowds and then a final in a two-thirds full Wembley. There is NO comparison.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I wouldn't go regardless of the price. I'm not interested in a competition where the criteria for entry is you have to be rubbish. Wake me up when we get to the final. I'd rather watch the Youth Team.

you idiot, its a competition for lower leagues who don't always have a chance of
getting far in the carling/fa cups, and i see your not a fan when it comes to the early rounds but it they get to the final you will probably claim to the no1 fan and claim its the best trophy in the world::rant:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
you idiot, its a competition for lower leagues who don't always have a chance of
getting far in the carling/fa cups, and i see your not a fan when it comes to the early rounds but it they get to the final you will probably claim to the no1 fan and claim its the best trophy in the world::rant:
Was it too much of a strain to read the whole thread then? I'm guessing yes. I despair of some of you sometimes but I'll pander to you tiny concentration span:

1 - I know it's a competition for lower league clubs. I know we probably won't win the FA Cup but I'd rather get to the 3rd round of that and go to a big Premiership club as opposed to getting to the final of the JPT. Just my personal preference

2 - No, I'm not the #1 fan but yes I would, probably, go to the final after not bothering with the early rounds. I would also guess that I won't be the only one who will do this. Remember the 30,000 at Cardiff?

3 - I'll never claim it's the best trophy in the world. Ever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1 - I know it's a competition for lower league clubs. I know we probably won't win the FA Cup but I'd rather get to the 3rd round of that and go to a big Premiership club as opposed to getting to the final of the JPT. Just my personal preference

I would sooner reach the JPT Final at Wembley, as to do that we have to win the Southern Final first. Even if we got through to round 3 of the FA Cup there is still 64 teams left in the cup so it is more likely that we would draw a team like Stoke away or West Brom rather than one of the top 5 or 6 in the country.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I agree Andy.
I went to the Wrexham v Southend game a couple of years ago at the Millenium stadium. Fran Hagarty and I were part of the Wrexham signed shirts procession around the pitch before the game (wearing our Brighton shirts) along with fans from other clubs.
It was a brilliant experience (not as good as our playoff final) and very enjoyable. Wrexham won 2-0 in extra time.

I saw bristol city beat carlisle a few yers ago- it was the biggest pile of wank i'd ever seen.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I would be going but have got tickets for the Sex Pistols in Brixton that night.

If they move it to the Tuesday I can go!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I went to one of the early rounds last season (Boston); it was just AWFUL and I will not be repeating the experience.

Same here. That was the game that killed the piss pot stone dead for me, and probably many others. The thing was an insult to those attending, and from that point on it just became a big fat nothing. Care about the FA Cup and the League Cup for sure, but not that patronising bit of silverware for losers. Wembley final or no Wembley final, I for one refuse to give a shit.

derek furlong

Mar 16, 2007
worthing
I think the club have already identified this competition as a means of some much needed success/publicity,hence the full first team will be playing their socks off next Wed', to reach the area Final.

Same here. That was the game that killed the piss pot stone dead for me, and probably many others. The thing was an insult to those attending, and from that point on it just became a big fat nothing. Care about the FA Cup and the League Cup for sure, but not that patronising bit of silverware for losers. Wembley final or no Wembley final, I for one refuse to give a shit.

I think the club would welcome a trip to Wembley to put some much needed cash into the bank....for losers or not I'll be there if we are fortunate enough to make it. What would it be worth to the Albion? £250,000 or more if the other finalist happens to be Dirty Leeds? I'd be happy with that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

Miseryguts.

:kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here