Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Loved his reports growing up. Remember seeing him on the 'Seagull Specials' over the years.

Funny how Sully was always man of the match though.

RIP - JV

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
RIP JV, part of my growing up with the Albion. As a teenager I must admit I never questioned his reports - if JV wrote it, it must have been true!

Used to look forward to getting the Argus on a Moday, just for his report. Afraid to say I don't have any of his books.

Along with the 35p entrance fee, 10p programme, the North Stand surges, terrible Goldsone toilets, another part of my Albion supporting history has gone.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
John was my neighbour for a while when I lived in Hove. He was always passionate about Sussex sport. He was one of the old school sports reporters - a real Gentleman.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP, sad news

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
JV was a MASSIVE part of my childhood, and early Brighton days. I'll have to dig out my copy of "Up, up and away" tonight. That used to be my bedtime story.

"Can we have 'Ward, in and out' tonight mum?" a young Gritty would plead. I can see it now.

RIP fella.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A must read - RIP John

51l5KPQhstL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

super book that one!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Like so many other long standing Albion fans I grew up on JV's match reports and coverage of the club. Always enjoyable, if provocative.

A fitting tribute would be if the Argus and the club could combine to produce a souvenir book of the top match reports and other features (eg, I think I am right in saying that Lawro being the first £100k signing made the front page of the Argus).

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I used to like reading his column in the Sports Argus on a Saturday night. A very intelligent and knowledgeable chap who will be sadly missed.

RIP Vinners.

timinhorley

Oct 7, 2011
In the days before instant news and comment, JVs albion reports were required reading, even when losing 8-2 to Bristol Rovers. RIP John

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here