Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
IN a world where there are far too many minutes silences, I would like to see a minutes applause for John at the next home game. A Hall of Famer for certain and part of the fabric of the club. I too disagreed with much of John's writing but the day we all agree on football and 'see the same game' would be time to pack it in. Cheers John.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
RIP Vinners

vinners.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Oh , precious memories. I have half a rain forest of John Vinicombe Albion reports in my loft. He was a one off. I remember us being 4-0 down at Swindon when , fortunately, the match was abandoned. Somehow in his review John managed to draw some positives from that performance !.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Like others, John was the argus link to brighton for me, and I've never felt the same about argus sports report/news since he stopped doing them.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Integral part of my Albion loving history, couldn't wait to get the after-match report on a Saturday evening and used to hover outside the newsagents like a stalker waiting for it. Can't think why anyone would have a bad word for him.

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
Used to stand on the North West Terrace,in front of the press box,a and often used to talk to John.Always a man who had something to say,a true Albion legend RIP.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As someone has already posted, I would have loved it if he had produced an autobiography - warts and all. What tales he would have been able to tell. A Nottingham journalist wrote an award winning book about his relationship with Clough - just think what a book by JV would have produced!
We do have happy memories of reading his reports, and his legacy of the books he wrote about the Albion. I have a copy of "Up and Away" signed by the team promoted to Div 1.
RIP Albion legend.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Very sad news.

As many have said John's reports were as much a part of supporting the Albion in the 70s and 80s as any player, manager or Director.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago and he seemed to be a really nice guy.

I look forward to listening to his interview on Roar.

RIP.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
His reports were an integral part of my Albion obsession as a lad. Travelled back on the same train as him from an away game at Man City once and had a great chat with him.

RIP John.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
John Vincombe, Jack Arlidge - names that for many of us were forever linked with the Albion in the days when the Argus was a paper worth reading. Whatever we thought of their reports, especially when we'd been at the games, they were always worth reading. Oh for the days of the "Classified" on a Saturday evening!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
When I lived in North America from '71 to '86 my Dad or friends used to send me the Monday Argus with John's write up on Albion's games. Helped to keep me in touch in the days before the interweb. Always enjoyed his reports. R.I.P.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here