Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
What incredibly sad news. I knew John personally, I played cricket with his son bob for many years at kemp town and John would come along and watch and have a beer after the game. He would tell us tremendous stories, especially the way Albion directors treated alan mullery the second time he came here. He was a lovely man.

god bless John and the family.
dave

Totally agree Dave, dreadfully sad news. John was a legend and our cricketing days at Kemp Town together were undoubtedly made more special by the post game entertainment of 'an evening with JV'. He always had a captive audience with me and you around! As others have also stated, our childhood days of following the Albion revolved around his Albion reports. When I moved away from Brighton between 1976 to 1978 to live in Nigeria, my only way of following a great period for the club was Argus cut-outs which would sometimes take a month to arrive by post. Still got them all today in scrapbooks. Another significant piece of us 'older ones' Albion past has gone with JV's passing. RIP John, thanks for the memories and great stories.

Dave - If you hear when the funeral is let me know, Jugsy.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Blimey, sad news. Memories of cutting out his reports for scrapbooks. Do kids make scrapbooks still? Wish I'd kept mine.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
A real gent, very knowledgeable, and full of great stories reporting on the Albion. One of my favourite evenings was John being the invited speaker at a Historical Society meeting. If he has memoirs i hope they are printed, they would make fantastic reading. A great love of the Albion, althougha Bristol Rovers supporter. One of my favourite stories was a trip with the Albion (yes reporters travelled on thr bus/train in those days) to Torquay...... Jimmy Collins etc completely misbehaving. I will be digging out some of his old reports, probably Ward 4 Mellor 3 ..
RIP John a great man.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I wonder if the story will come out now about how jv used his knowledge of the Russian language to keep two Albion players out of jail following a pre season friendly in minsk?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Very sad news, what John Vinicombe didn't know about the Albion in the 70s and 80s wasn't worth knowing. John was The Argus and his tacit support to me during the dark days will always be fondly remembered by me. John, give our best wishes to Fred. In our new era, we won't forget either of you.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Very sad news, what John Vinicombe didn't know about the Albion in the 70s and 80s wasn't worth knowing. John was The Argus and his tacit support to me during the dark days will always be fondly remembered by me. John, give our best wishes to Fred. In our new era, we won't forget either of you.

Used to think he watched most of the games from the bar but very sad news !!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
:albion2: i remember 1 report in the argus in the 70s when albion lost 8 -0 and johns headline was unlucky brighton and i remember thinking at the time f*** me was we unlucky 8 times in the same match.:lolol:
RIP john you will be missed

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
It'd be good if The Argus could put together a collection of 'Vinicombe's Verdicts' with proceeds going to a charity of his family's choice and/or REMF. It would certainly be a lasting tribute to the man and, dare I say it, a fine toilet read.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
Hearing this takes me back to my youth when JV's reports were such a crucial part of the match day experience. I have his press cuttings somewhere chronicling the 'glory years' of the late 70s and early 80s. I feel a little bit of Albion's and my past have gone forever. Very sad.

RIP

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Very sad news. As others have said, John's reports were essential reading back in the 70's/80's when essentially his report was all you'd get to read about the match in those pre-internet and tv camera everywhere days. To me he was 'the voice of the Albion', I'm just so pleased that he got to see us at Falmer. RIP John, your part in Albion folklore will not be forgotten.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
RIP Mr Vinicombe, a true gent and part of the Albion experience, I hope the club are well represented in paying the appropriate respects.

Maybe a minute of applause before the next home game by way of a tribute.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RIP John
His match reports were essential reading if you had been to The Goldstone and wanted to see if you agreed with his write up , when we played away it was how we performed because in those days all you got was a brief summary on Radio Brighton every 15 or 20 minutes via a telephone call from the ground.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
end of an era ... just dug into my box of cuttings ... mostly john vinicombe ... and mostly 70s stuff / earyl eighties maybe : i find him in san diego for a seagulls v seagulls clash, in holland watching albion v the east german olympic team , v cambridge where a 15370 crowd was the lowest for 3 years, reporting about a transfer request from wardie when a "tentative enquiry from Verder Bremen" came in : (i now know it´s werder!) and plenty of classics ...

"THEY`VE DONE IT! Super Seagulls have roared into the first division."

I always thought he must have have a great life ...i hope he did!
Rest in Peace John Vinicombe...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sad news. John Vinicombe's match reports were a highlight in my youth following the Albion.

It was particularly special to get a match day Argus from Fred Oliver (good old boy) at the Goldstone or occasionally at the County Cricket Ground and I would turn straight to the sports pages to read JV's Albion news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here