Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
It was John Vinicombe's match reports and excellent writing that helped get me interested in the Albion in the first place when i was growing up. A quite brilliant football writer and a sad loss to top quality journalism.

R.I.P. John.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Feeling quite moved right now. For me, JV was a huge part of the Albion scene, almost as much as the Goldstone. When I had a paper-round and couldn't go to the matches, the only compensation was reading his match reports for free!

RIP JV, well earned.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As with so many, part of my growing up years (although some would question my ever growing up). Many have said they weren't fans of his reporting and/or views but as a wet behind the ears kid I read it all religiously and without too much disagreement. What can't be questioned is his huge bank of information on the club.

RIP John.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Really sad to hear this.

Like so many others, I grew up with John's articles and reports being a very major part of my enjoyment of following the Albion in the 70's and 80's in particular. Where else could you go for Albion news?

This really does feel like a change of era in so many ways in all things Albion at the moment. That's almost completely a good thing but this news is the exception.

RIP John

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just reading in the Argus that he sadly passed away

I guess some would say his reports were questionable :lol: but he was part of my youth growing up supporting the Albion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very enjoyable reports and some were questionable as you say(indeed once I met him and asked if he had been watching a game in Hove park instead of the Goldstone)and I'v no doubt he had heard it all before.
RIP John

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
John Vinicombe was the 1970's/80's NSC, Seagulls.co.uk and all the other media we now have at our fingertips. Somewhere in my mums attic are all my scrap books from the 70's filled with his reports. A true fan and enthusiast. Hope St Peter lets him in wearing his Albion scarf.

He was never an Albion fan.

But a blue and white bar scarf might still be appropriate, as he was a Bristol Rovers fan.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Never met the man myself, but had occasion to call him while researching SBTS and Goldstone history. The expected five minutes soon became an hour, filled with some extraordinary Albion reminiscences. He turned out to be wonderfully indiscreet, with tales of personality clashes, behind-the-scenes skulduggery and even a couple of match fixings thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if, a long time from now, people will be coming up with fond recollections of the good old days of Andy Naylor…

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
A must read - RIP John

51l5KPQhstL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First Albion book I owned as a kid. Loved John, RIP old chap :thumbsup:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don't see how anyone could actually loath John Vinicombe - he was a really decent fella. As others have already posted, another integral part of our youth is now gone.

Respectfully - you miss my point. 'Love him or Loathe him' was the advertsing tagline that the Argus ran for the best part of 20 years.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
very sad to hear - like others have said big part of following the Albion in my childhood in the seventies now gone. RIP John.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here