Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Terry Retires from International Football

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
good riddance. I really don't want my son to grow up with Terry as some kind of role model. Regardless of what he did for England, his off the field behaviour cannot be ignored.

And wasn't he also married when he shagged Bridge's girlfriend?

Would you prefer Rooney as a role model?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hang on, no we could have Rooney, Gerrard (punch ups a plenty) and Cole as England role models... we could remind ourselves of Bobby Moore and his endless affairs... Gazza, well enough said there, Hoddle and his obsession with fortune tellers, where do we stop exactly?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is a shame, he has always given his all for england which is more than can be said for rio ferdinand, typical of the f.a to mishandle an awkward situation, at the end of the day he was cleared in court and that should have been the end of it.

Technically, he wasn't cleared of the incident, it was that the jury were not convinced beyond reasonable doubt that he had said it. The FA don't have such a high burden of proof, much like the civil courts and as others have said, the criminal court takes precedence over the FA so the FA couldn't have done something sooner without possible accusations of sub judice and if they had found him guilty and punished him they could have been held in contempt, I believe.

Now ex-, his ex when the news came out. But when the alleged affair happened, she and bridge were in a relationship.

Wasn't the point that JT was supposedly a friend of WB and knew that he was devastated by the breakup which was probably due to him moving to Man City and she wanted to stay near London. He then abused that friendship (and his marriage) and then concealed it with super injunctions and the like with possible rumours of abortions etc.

You always seem to pop up in these John Terry threads and always post the same stuff. You know people don't like, in fact the vast majority of people don't like him, why let it wind you up so much or even come onto these threads at all?

You seem incapable of understanding why people might not like the guy. It could be for any of the following, take your pick:

• He is the front man for a highly unlikeable club surrounded by unlikable characters (Cole, Drogba, Lampard etc) what exactly has Lampard done. Seems to keep himself to himself and doesn't make the front pages?
  • He's the first player in a ref's face when something happens
  • That he got fined by Chelsea for mocking American tourists after 9/11
  • That he was involved in a nightclub brawl which he amazingly got off
  • That he feels he can do whatever he likes that he parked his Bentley in a disabled bay
  • That he was videoed accepting money for private tours
  • That he had a affair with the girlfriend of a team mate.
  • That he sarcastically racially abused Anton Ferdinand

For me the football stuff doesn't matter,which ever way you dice it up he's an extremely unpleasant character. I don't care whether he is very good at kicking a ball I don't like the bloke. It's not a trade-off "Oh because he throws himself into tackles I can forgive him for X" it doesn't work that way.

And yes I would feel the same way if he was a Brighton player. The fact he's a footballer is immaterial, he's appears to be a total arse of a person.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

Having traveled to see most of the int'l competitions of the last 20 years he has stood out from the crowd as giving 100% every time I have seen him play. Always grateful for the support, win or lose. Couldn't give a crap about his personal life, he was/is a very good player and I for one will miss him in an England shirt.

He didn't give 100% all of the time though. The Bridge issue was divisive, as was his outburst in South Africa. These both affected the well being of the team. Had he really wanted to give England the best possible chance he would not only have played well but also have made efforts to reign himself in with the other stuff. But he couldn't be bothered; his needs were clearly greater than England's.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have the rules changed. Didn't think you can retire from International football. If you are fit to play for your club then you have to be available for international duty otherwise you can face sanctions from Fifa. Obviously this doesn't take into account 'gentlemen's agreements' between player and national manager.

In this particular case, can't say I'm disappointed as the guy, and possibly his family are trash.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wasn't the point that JT was supposedly ...

isnt it funny how the rest of this is pure conjecture and inference based on nothing but heresay regurgitated through media and internet grapevines.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] I didn't say he had done anything wrong I just think that he's regarded as a fairly unlikable character. One of those things that go with being in a successful team whilst at the same time being in a underachieving England team. It just doesn't make you very popular and you come across as smug and arrogant. Look at Gary Neville.

The point was that Chelsea aren't liked for a number of reasons (perceived buying success, supporters, style of football, players at the club etc) and John Terry is seen as the figurehead and leader of that team. If you want a reason why people don't like him, that's one straight away. Granted it's by default, almost guilt by association in fact but added to other incidents it builds up to make him extremely unpopular, hence not an outpouring of sadness that he'll no longer play for England.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He didn't give 100% all of the time though. The Bridge issue was divisive, as was his outburst in South Africa. These both affected the well being of the team. Had he really wanted to give England the best possible chance he would not only have played well but also have made efforts to reign himself in with the other stuff. But he couldn't be bothered; his needs were clearly greater than England's.

Like Gazza you mean? Who enjoyed getting pissed the night before games?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
isnt it funny how the rest of this is pure conjecture and inference based on nothing but heresay regurgitated through media and internet grapevines.

Yep, and a few meatheads on here like to go with the Daily Star type sensationalism.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ok - so everyone on here who agrees Terry is good riddance is a meathead who reads the Daily Star?

Didn't accuse anyone of anything fella, my take on this rather sorry thread... can you show me where I accused anyone of that? I'm being sensationalist like the meatheads on this thread (I think).

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I reckon he knows he will be found guilty by the FA and is jumping before he is pushed.

But this is good news as it is embarrassing to have such a odious person representing my country.

I agree. I'm glad he's saved Hodgson from having to make an awkward decision.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
John Terry signs for Brighton
Remarks on NSC: Great signing, best we ever bought, misunderstood... etc, etc, etc... I do wonder how we have 22,000+ season ticket holders.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
John Terry seems to divide opinion whatever he does or says. England's problem is that they don't have the quality to replace him adequately. Caulker and Jones may be ready in 2014 but will we qualify?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here