Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton on twitter

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Im not trying to say he didnt deserve the red card, he should have got 2. What I am saying though is you cant go around calling people vile when you dont even know them or anything about them that hasnt been reported in The Sun.

He can be a bit stupid at times but he was clearly targeted by City to get sent off. You could say that they were the ones cheating as they were struggling to beat QPR when they had 11 players so Tevez had a swipe at Barton knowing full well that he would retaliate.

Unfortunatly its part of Football, at any level. If you know that one of the best players on the other team will probably get himself sent off if you wind him up enough then you are going to do it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So by your reckoning Tevez should also have a 3 match ban for winding him up in the first place?

Eh? No, as Tevez had "something to lose" by his actions, as the ref could have presumably taken action against Tevez as he saw fit, but the actions of Barton were after the ref had given the harshest sanction he can, a red card. Bartons actions after being sent off have to carry an additional ban, ortherwise we will see players tring to get others sent off as they leave the field on a regular basis if they know they will get no further punishment for doing so, but MAY manage to provoke a reaction, and get his own sending off evened up.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Im not trying to say he didnt deserve the red card, he should have got 2. What I am saying though is you cant go around calling people vile when you dont even know them or anything about them that hasnt been reported in The Sun.

Well, not just The Sun to be fair. Most of the media carried the stories of fag-in-eye incident, and he was punished by his club. The assault in Thailand saw the club send him home, and enlist him on an anger management course, the subsequent assaults in street / cab / clubs have resulted in court cases, so hardly just a story in The Sun.

Sorry, but "vile human being" still fits the bill for me. How would you describe a guy who stubs out a cigarette in some young lads eye? Misunderstood?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunatly its part of Football, at any level. If you know that one of the best players on the other team will probably get himself sent off if you wind him up enough then you are going to do it.
Yep. All the more reason for that player to go on an(other) anger management course. All players try and wind each other up, and if they can get the opponent sent off, that's half the game won, so it goes without saying that to be a top player you need to rise above it all.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Eh? No, as Tevez had "something to lose" by his actions, as the ref could have presumably taken action against Tevez as he saw fit, but the actions of Barton were after the ref had given the harshest sanction he can, a red card. Bartons actions after being sent off have to carry an additional ban, ortherwise we will see players tring to get others sent off as they leave the field on a regular basis if they know they will get no further punishment for doing so, but MAY manage to provoke a reaction, and get his own sending off evened up.

You said that trying to get someone sent off should carry an extra ban. What was Tevez doing when he hit out at him first?

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I am not an apologist for Barton, but I think much of football is to blame here ......

Tevez clearly 'touches' Barton who then clearly 'touches' Tevez, Tevez then falls to the ground play acting as is demanded by modern footballers.

Barton is now aggrieved and knows what's coming.

Aguiera had been prompting the ref to send Barton off as were most City players and when he was given the red, he had not much to lose.

A knee to Agueiras leg wasn't enough to floor and 8 year old but typically enough to floor a fully fit professional sportsman, then Kompany 'Chest Butted' Barton, you see no head or arms raised here, thats a new one, before nearly getting properly butted !!!

Balotelli then comes off the bench to try to 'attack' Barton, but thankfully thinks better of it ....................

And so it went on .................

Out of 30 super fit athletes non were able to do any harm whatsoever to each other not one bloodied nose or bruised lip it was lamentable, not for Bartons 'violence' but for the play acting, posturing and haranguing of the ref by the City players.

Is Barton a pratt, maybe, but the rest are just as culpable in my book.

Dont get me started on Tevez conduct this season, that now of course most of football has forgiven ........... onwards and upwards !!!

Well said, Barton may have been a fool but not of the others involved come out with much credit either.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I see he's 'apologised' for 'offending' people. Why doesn't he just apologise for being a twat?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair mate, it definitely looked like he made good contact with Teves from the close angle I saw.

This is, in my view, completely accurate. Also it is a pleasant antidote to the usual trite outpourings of 'scum' and 'disgrace' - which are as boring as they are reactionary and sanctimoniously moronic. Largely based on prior prejudice for the player and a sensation that the common or garden armchair twat enjoys playing moral arbiter in front of facebook, twitter, their friends or an internet forum as if his specious opinion matters.

It just rankles, is all. SCUM! DISGRACE! ANIMAL! Football needs more a thesaurus and less sensationalism from pundits. It has taught idiots to react the same.

I dont know what Barton is like personally, he seems to up for a fight in a kebab shop, but at times is an articulate and interesting person.

I am not sure whether his kneeing of Aguero is really any worse than the odious play acting, haranguing of referees and relentless prompting of the ref to punish players usually in response to their own player faking it anyway.

I cannot help accepting a silly kick above a player rolling around on the pitch clutching his face when he hasnt been touched.

Its not really finding an excuse for him though.

What did he really do that was so bad yesterday? Tevez had a little swipe at him which he retaliated to, then he kneed Ageuro who went down like he just got hit by a car and then people just jumped in for no reason and of cause he is going to react like that.

It was stupid what he did, and was deserving of a red card (along with Tevez) but what is being said about it from some people on here (and in the media) is well over the top.

Just talking about the incident yesterday, I agree with all of this. Football is so full of fakery these days its almost nice to see someone not playing to the rules. Tevez punches barton who stays on his feet, Barton swings an elbow back at Tevez who collapses to the ground like the typical cheating fotballer these days. then a scrum surrounds the player after the red card and good on him for hitting out at these pampered idiots like Aguero, who collapses to the floor like the baby he is. Shame he couldn't get to Balotelli too. and shame the linesmen is so blinkered to all this he didn't see tevez's challenge but could see barton's oh so clearly

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
So after one of the most thrilling climaxes to a season that I can remember, the biggest thread of the day is about this insignificant bellend.

I used to think that he was reasonably talented as a footballer, and could understand why clubs took a gamble, despite his shortcomings as a human being.

He comes across reasonably well when interviewed - giving it the "I'm sorry or I've changed...throwing in the odd "I owe the club..."

But the guy is totally unprofessional. On and off the field. yesterday being a great example. so what if Tevez clumped him? No reaction and QPR have 11 men still - and a better chance of getting something from the game.

And Twitter just gives the knob enough rope to publically hang himself. Regardless of what he thought of Warnock...why post it? Any manager coming in, expecting support, will be sceptical of him.

What's the point of the tirade at Shearer? Other than to look an even bigger cock!

It's almost a shame that QPR didn't get relegated - am sure a few R's fans would have been less than impressed with him had that happened.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You said that trying to get someone sent off should carry an extra ban. What was Tevez doing when he hit out at him first?

Trying to get someone sent-off AFTER you have already been sent off, yes, that should carry an additional ban. Omnce again, Tevez hadn't already been sent off, so the powers to punish those actions were all still in the powers of the referee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

This is EXACTLY the case with John Terry either. I'm sure there's a good chance Terry isn't the nicest of blokes, but to be honest I don't really care and I don't decide to take the moral high ground on the tabloid stories. Same with Ashley Cole I think. As long as they play well for England, there's nothnig more I really care about - esp reading stories that are, at best, 30% accurate.

Jan 30, 2008
I am not an apologist for Barton, but I think much of football is to blame here ......

Tevez clearly 'touches' Barton who then clearly 'touches' Tevez, Tevez then falls to the ground play acting as is demanded by modern footballers.

Barton is now aggrieved and knows what's coming.

Aguiera had been prompting the ref to send Barton off as were most City players and when he was given the red, he had not much to lose.

A knee to Agueiras leg wasn't enough to floor and 8 year old but typically enough to floor a fully fit professional sportsman, then Kompany 'Chest Butted' Barton, you see no head or arms raised here, thats a new one, before nearly getting properly butted !!!

Balotelli then comes off the bench to try to 'attack' Barton, but thankfully thinks better of it ....................

And so it went on .................

Out of 30 super fit athletes non were able to do any harm whatsoever to each other not one bloodied nose or bruised lip it was lamentable, not for Bartons 'violence' but for the play acting, posturing and haranguing of the ref by the City players.

Is Barton a pratt, maybe, but the rest are just as culpable in my book.

Dont get me started on Tevez conduct this season, that now of course most of football has forgiven ........... onwards and upwards !!!
jokers the lot of them, just as sad as some of the grown men in the crowd wearing replica shirts looking like the world was about to end, BRING ON THE PANTOMIME SEASON !!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is EXACTLY the case with John Terry either. I'm sure there's a good chance Terry isn't the nicest of blokes, but to be honest I don't really care and I don't decide to take the moral high ground on the tabloid stories. Same with Ashley Cole I think. As long as they play well for England, there's nothnig more I really care about - esp reading stories that are, at best, 30% accurate.

While I understand your points, John Terry is clearly a negative influence in the England camp. Tried to start a mutiny halfway through the World Cup with NO support from the other players whatsoever, he manages to make everything about him, he completely acts as if he is bigger than the country he is representing.

For that reason, I really hope he isn't in the squad come Wednesday.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Whats dissapointing is on his day he is a bloody good player , but what he did yesterday cannot be condoned in any shape or form whatsoever , i think he will get the proverbial book thrown at him and rightly so .

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Just talking about the incident yesterday, I agree with all of this. Football is so full of fakery these days its almost nice to see someone not playing to the rules. Tevez punches barton who stays on his feet, Barton swings an elbow back at Tevez who collapses to the ground like the typical cheating fotballer these days. then a scrum surrounds the player after the red card and good on him for hitting out at these pampered idiots like Aguero, who collapses to the floor like the baby he is. Shame he couldn't get to Balotelli too. and shame the linesmen is so blinkered to all this he didn't see tevez's challenge but could see barton's oh so clearly

Good to hear someone taking the sensible alternative viewpoint and presenting it persuasively. Just seen MOTD a day late and have to say poor old Joey has been made a scapegoat AGAIN and now sadly we won't see him again for a while. A great bloke, one of a handful of Prem stars i'd want to go and have a drink with.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good to hear someone taking the sensible alternative viewpoint and presenting it persuasively. Just seen MOTD a day late and have to say poor old Joey has been made a scapegoat AGAIN and now sadly we won't see him again for a while. A great bloke, one of a handful of Prem stars i'd want to go and have a drink with.

As long as he doesn't stub a cigarette in your eye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here