Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joel Veltman

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Said it before but say I’ll say it again, look at our defensive record with him in the side, he’s a better defender than Lamptey, different kind of players of course.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Said it before but say I’ll say it again, look at our defensive record with him in the side, he’s a better defender than Lamptey, different kind of players of course.

On the other side of the coin, would you say we are better going forward with Lamptey?

Problem could be solved if one of them can play on the left!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
On the other side of the coin, would you say we are better going forward with Lamptey?

We need to sneak them both onto the pitch under a long coat - Lamptey at the bottom going forward; Veltman when defending.

The perfect crime.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Utterly extraordinary isn’t it? That we have 4 centre backs who are better than a current England international, whose only objective seems to be to find touch.

But, apparently, Mings is left-footed and, therefore, by Southgate's tortured logic, the best option for left CB, even though he used his left foot this evening almost exclusively to propel the ball out of play.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Not too sure if we need to get better going forward. We just need to score a few more when we get there.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Was Mings not lauded as a 'ball playing CB' at one stage? All I saw was a 'putting the ball into touch merchant' for the majority of last night.

I’m usually not one to lower the tone by just slagging off another player but I make an exception for Mings. He is an absolutely ****ing mug. The most Sunday league of PL centre backs. Basically a glorified El Abd. I mean, the difference between him and Burn is like night and day. Imagine the reviews Mings would get if he played a Dan Burn masterclass one day...but all I see mings doing is shouting at people when they are on the floor, telling people to “say on the edge of the box” and knocking it out of play. In 2021 I thought defenders were meant to be cooler than that. He’s the antithesis of a modern centre back imo. More Hackney Marshes than St George’s Park.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m usually not one to lower the tone by just slagging off another player but I make an exception for Mings. He is an absolutely ****ing mug. The most Sunday league of PL centre backs. Basically a glorified El Abd. I mean, the difference between him and Burn is like night and day. Imagine the reviews Mings would get if he played a Dan Burn masterclass one day...but all I see mings doing is shouting at people when they are on the floor, telling people to “say on the edge of the box” and knocking it out of play. In 2021 I thought defenders were meant to be cooler than that. He’s the antithesis of a modern centre back imo. More Hackney Marshes than St George’s Park.

El Abd was better at the defending part too. Mings is a total myth, awful player.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Bournemouth laughed all the way to the bank with that one. Without coming across as too edgy (and I did find it disgusting at the time), but I felt he only had his run with England due to him being racially abused, that and the fact he's relatively young still I guess.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Mings is a modern day Lescott, strong and imposing left footed defender. I think he's fairly handy without being Rio Ferdinand but he's hardly the clown being portrayed by the few in this thread, which was supposed to be about Joel Veltman who has proven a very useful and cheap addition.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not liking the slightly dodgy slagging off of Mings

Way better to getting back to celebrate the brilliance of our Joel, and the brilliance of our recruitment.

Topped off, of course with some idle speculation about how you incorporate, him Tariq, Lewis, Adam, Ben and Dan into the side when all fit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tyrone Mings is a decent chap. Very intelligent to, I was impressed with the way he spoke on the Higher Performance podcast.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
People lost respect for Mings when he stamped on Ibra and claimed ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then did exactly the same thing to Reading's Oliveira. You watch the Zlatan stamp and Mings is quite clearly looking down at him and makes no attempt to step around or over him, just puts his foot straight down on his head. Its either intentional, or very careless, both ways you look at it is worthy of the ban. He then does exactly the same thing to Oliveira but with more devastating results. It's difficult to see them both as 'accidents' as he claimed.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
And then did exactly the same thing to Reading's Oliveira. You watch the Zlatan stamp and Mings is quite clearly looking down at him and makes no attempt to step around or over him, just puts his foot straight down on his head. Its either intentional, or very careless, both ways you look at it is worthy of the ban. He then does exactly the same thing to Oliveira but with more devastating results. It's difficult to see them both as 'accidents' as he claimed.

Yeah it was clear he knew what he was doing, vile incident which he did again

That and the fact he’s not a great defender and people are salty he plays for England and not Dunk, who’s clearly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here