Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
What I find most incredible is that we had been told he was suspect defensively. We've seen evidence since he arrived that that is largely nonsense, he's solid and sharp in the tackle and reads the game like a book. I do think that our set up benefits him and his position as RCB in a 3 seems perfect for him but even at RB and RWB he's not been shown up at any point that I can think of. Obviously, at 900k he's arguably on of the best bargains we've ever signed and long may he reign.

He is exactly the type of signing Man Utd should be looking at. Not a huge fee, not a flashy player but a brilliant egg to add to the dressing room with undoubted quality. You don't have to spend tens of millions on players if you get the scouting right and get the right characters in.

Point taken
Although tbf, without that nutty Prem release clause JV would've cost tens of millions

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Parts (most of it was about Ten Hag and his Eredivisie signings so I just left that out) of some Dutch interview with Veltman a couple of weeks ago:

You were not with the Dutch national team in the last international matches. Have you already put the World Cup out of your mind?
“No, you never get that out of your head. I've had a good season. Missed only two games, one due to covid and one due to a calf injury. Then you hope for a chance at Oranje, but I'm not going to say that I belong. Louis van Gaal knows me well, and so does his assistant Danny Blind. They know what to do with me. Just like Brighton, the Orange plays 3-5-2, but the competition in the back is fierce, with Stefan de Vrij, Matthijs de Ligt and Jurriën Timber. My versatility could be an advantage: I can play anywhere in defense, including as a back, including on the left. I showed that.”

Anyway, about Ajax: the club may still need a right back who can also be in the center of the defence.
“Funny, something like this already came up on Twitter: a number of fans wondered if it wasn't a crazy idea to bring Joël Veltman back. Nice to read, and I had great years in Amsterdam, but I'm in the right place at Brighton. I am happy here.”

Happy to constantly see him mentioning how happy he is in Brighton. And I hope king Louie brings him to the World Cup.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Parts (most of it was about Ten Hag and his Eredivisie signings so I just left that out) of some Dutch interview with Veltman a couple of weeks ago:

You were not with the Dutch national team in the last international matches. Have you already put the World Cup out of your mind?
“No, you never get that out of your head. I've had a good season. Missed only two games, one due to covid and one due to a calf injury. Then you hope for a chance at Oranje, but I'm not going to say that I belong. Louis van Gaal knows me well, and so does his assistant Danny Blind. They know what to do with me. Just like Brighton, the Orange plays 3-5-2, but the competition in the back is fierce, with Stefan de Vrij, Matthijs de Ligt and Jurriën Timber. My versatility could be an advantage: I can play anywhere in defense, including as a back, including on the left. I showed that.”

Anyway, about Ajax: the club may still need a right back who can also be in the center of the defence.
“Funny, something like this already came up on Twitter: a number of fans wondered if it wasn't a crazy idea to bring Joël Veltman back. Nice to read, and I had great years in Amsterdam, but I'm in the right place at Brighton. I am happy here.”

Happy to constantly see him mentioning how happy he is in Brighton. And I hope king Louie brings him to the World Cup.

Interesting that Joel said a few weeks ago, when asked about his first impressions of the man who made him Ajax captain. Was that he took some getting used to. He knew his stuff but that he was lacking in personality & his team talks were boring

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yet another brilliant performance yesterday,how has this bloke not got a song yet is beyond me,Moyes actually moved Antonio away from Veltmans pockets to save any further embarressment,to think we forked out less than a round of drinks for 5 people at the London stadium for Veltman is mind boggling.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yet another brilliant performance yesterday,how has this bloke not got a song yet is beyond me,Moyes actually moved Antonio away from Veltmans pockets to save any further embarressment,to think we forked out less than a round of drinks for 5 people at the London stadium for Veltman is mind boggling.

Our defence isn't just better with JV in it, it's more grownup.
Far less last ditch, backs against the wall incidents now. We defend like a top 6 team

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

His consistency of performance is remarkable. Crazy that he even plays for us

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No decent song for Groß is even worse. Tross too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Joel Veltman wooooha
Joel Veltman wooooooooohhhaa
He didn’t cost too much
He’ll kick you in the nuts.

Sorted.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He signed for three years two years ago. Has he had a new contract since, and if so, when is he signed to now?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He signed for three years two years ago. Has he had a new contract since, and if so, when is he signed to now?
Club have a year's option so effectively signed to 2024.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yoof near me, yesterday, were trying to start the old Batman theme 'nee nee nee (etc) Velt man'.

But I told them to be quiet or boooooooo.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Best signing since we've been in the Prem.

That's very impressive considering we signed Bissouma, Cucurella and Groß.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Saw him taking on liquids and one of those energy things only say 10 mins into the second half and was subbed shortly after….anything mentioned post match as to whether he was ill? Or was it purely tactical

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here