[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
‘Average’ according to this plank

[tweet]1556702028453228544[/tweet]

This is good, we don't want planks with pots of gold taking him away

Realistically, he's Dutch, so has had an education and is here with good reason. Like Gross, an intelligent player, which is a rarity on average, so responds well to working with a managerial team that can do more than shout.

As AOL studios rightly says, our best defender for some time, narrowly missed out on PotS due to hair. But clears the NDP with ease. AND makes the 7

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Nothing to see here, just Joel absolutely owning Manchester Utd...

[tweet]1557296396528910338[/tweet]

... To a phenomenally poor choice of soundtrack.

Joel was fantastic. Soundtrack - which floor do I get off on?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
‘Average’ according to this plank

[tweet]1556702028453228544[/tweet]

If 'average' means 28 appearances for your country, over 250 top flight appearances, several Eredivisie champions medals and played in the CL, yes he's bang average.

Unlike the Plank who's intelligence is well below average.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If 'average' means 28 appearances for your country, over 250 top flight appearances, several Eredivisie champions medals and played in the CL, yes he's bang average.

Unlike the Plank who's intelligence is well below average.

Below average for ManU tw@tterati, or just in general?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A couple of dozen caps for The Netherlands, a decade at, and over 200 games for Ajax, where he was made captain by ten Hag, considerable Champions League experience and a couple of seasons in the Premier League playing in what has been during his time the meanest defence outside of the big six, (with a better defensive record than United's). According to Man Utd fans that's average and Rashford should have him on toast without even trying and they wonder why so many of their talented young footballers struggle under the weight of unrealistic expectation. The place is poisonous and its not just the Glazers responsible.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A couple of dozen caps for The Netherlands, a decade at, and over 200 games for Ajax, where he was made captain by ten Hag, considerable Champions League experience and a couple of seasons in the Premier League playing in what has been during his time the meanest defence outside of the big six, (with a better defensive record than United's). According to Man Utd fans that's average and Rashford should have him on toast without even trying and they wonder why so many of their talented young footballers struggle under the weight of unrealistic expectation. The place is poisonous and its not just the Glazers responsible.
Veltman's played under Ten Hag before? Expect a low-ball bid from desperate of Manchester before the window slams shut!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Veltman's played under Ten Hag before? Expect a low-ball bid from desperate of Manchester before the window slams shut!

On the basis that Haag let him go in the first place, it’s looking unlikely that Veltman would leave and doesn’t do Haag’s judgement a lot of good.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Have we extended his contract yet? Don't want to loose him any time soon. Need him for a few more years.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
On the basis that Haag let him go in the first place, it’s looking unlikely that Veltman would leave and doesn’t do Haag’s judgement a lot of good.

Think it was more that Veltman wanted the challenge of the EPL and was allowed to leave as a reward for years of service to Ajax.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
True that it was JV who wanted to play in the EPL, rather than ten Hag who wanted rid. It seems incredible that either nobody else in our league was alert to the clause, or nobody else realised what a bargain he was. £900,000 for a player who could happpily be a more than reliable squad player for any club in the league and a starter for most.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What I find most incredible is that we had been told he was suspect defensively. We've seen evidence since he arrived that that is largely nonsense, he's solid and sharp in the tackle and reads the game like a book. I do think that our set up benefits him and his position as RCB in a 3 seems perfect for him but even at RB and RWB he's not been shown up at any point that I can think of. Obviously, at 900k he's arguably on of the best bargains we've ever signed and long may he reign.

He is exactly the type of signing Man Utd should be looking at. Not a huge fee, not a flashy player but a brilliant egg to add to the dressing room with undoubted quality. You don't have to spend tens of millions on players if you get the scouting right and get the right characters in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I find most incredible is that we had been told he was suspect defensively. We've seen evidence since he arrived that that is largely nonsense, he's solid and sharp in the tackle and reads the game like a book. I do think that our set up benefits him and his position as RCB in a 3 seems perfect for him but even at RB and RWB he's not been shown up at any point that I can think of. Obviously, at 900k he's arguably on of the best bargains we've ever signed and long may he reign.

He is exactly the type of signing Man Utd should be looking at. Not a huge fee, not a flashy player but a brilliant egg to add to the dressing room with undoubted quality. You don't have to spend tens of millions on players if you get the scouting right and get the right characters in.

You were only told he was suspect defensively if you believe the source of the comment.

I don't - you shouldn't.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

In Ajax and other Dutch teams, they usually play man-man instead of zone defence (which is the most common everywhere else these days) and for that you're technical and physical qualities are more important than your brain... which is his greatest asset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here