Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
WTF is going on with Zaha's shorts?

That looks very peculiar.

I reckon he had rolled them up in preparation for the final whistle, when he knew the TV cameras would be on him, and he could showcase his thighs.

Just when we all thought he couldn't be more of a tosspot than we already knew :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

That's exactly how I feel! Maybe I just didn't notice? But I'm sure the narrative around him wasn't that he was particularly quick. I might be wrong though - I am only going by watching the games on TV which is notoriously different to in person. I'm not willing to die on the hill of this argument either way.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Are you talking about Ben White? I feel like I've entered a parallel universe. He's not Duffy slow, but he's hardly quick.

I think you've accidentally entered the universe from your parallel one. If you pop back to your parallel one, he's probably back to be just a bit quicker than Duffy. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Veltman is excellent defensively. If he was quicker and better offensively, he wouldn't be at Brighton.

What if there comes a time, soon, when most of us can't use that excuse when describing an Albion players shortcomings.

It'll be a very sad day indeed. :lol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Are you talking about Ben White? I feel like I've entered a parallel universe. He's not Duffy slow, but he's hardly quick.

I'm with you on this. Ben White has decent pace.

The way I see it, he's an excellent covering defender. Great fitness and happy to track back to cover risks where others may not. I think footballing brain and work ethic makes him look faster than he is.

Anyway, it's academic as (if we don't have Lamptey), we don't have anyone with anything more than decent pace in attacking positions. We've got nobody who'll skin him on the ground ..... but we may have someone who'll do him in the air :)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Its weird. I dont see how anyone can complain about Veltman.

Obviously a few of you are batshit crazy who picked him as player of the season ahead of Bissouma, but far less batshit crazy than those who feel there is any reason to complain about Veltman. If he was a little quicker and better at crossing the ball, he would be considered one of the best RBs out there.

Think it's raised expectations.

To start with he arrived as a £900,000 back up CB with a reputation for making mistakes in the Dutch league.

Then we discover he's actually a slick, reliable, Roll's Royce of a player, with a combination of skills and experience that allows him to adapt quickly in new positions and is easily good enough as a starter in the premier league. And a handsome chap to boot.

So previously we expected too little. And now we expect too much - and when he has a very slightly less good game (which is about as bad as it ever seems to get for him) there's an over-reaction (not from me, but I do understand how that happens).

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A nice little 2 minute interview with Joel.

What an asset to the club this lad is. He's smart, a decent player and seems a very nice, humble person.
We now seem to accept him as a cornerstone of the squad a bit like Lewis Dunk. He was a very astute signing, possibly one of our best that has gone under the national media's radar.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/tv-shows/soccer-saturday/12485432/veltman-on-life-at-brighton

Bright, balanced, witty. The man's a great signing and has been a huge asset. A very Potter player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can see an increased role for Veltman with Lamptey converting to a winger, super solid versatile player who tackles as hard as anyone in the modern game.

Except for the brick wall next to him! :rave:

As [MENTION=21239]Originunknown[/MENTION] says we've definitely got our monies worth.

Got to be one of the modern era Premier League's best bargains.

Right up there with...

... Groß

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here