Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Two things.
First, their defence was completely out of shape when Veltman played the ball. It was out of shape as a result of a dreadful goal kick. That's not going to repeat itself too often.
Second, I've had repeated confirmation that at least one of Arsenal's CB is rapid. Unlike two of our CBs, whose lack of pace is rarely acknowledged on here

The highlighted part is true, but Welbeck also was through on goal via a similar ball in the same game. I really do like the fact that from time to time we do go long, it keeps the defence honest.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, what!?

Remember the young centre back we just sold them? He's probably the quickest centre back in the whole league.

Is he? Quick thinking maybe, and undoubtedly an excellent defender, but I never had him down as outstandingly quick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is he? Quick thinking maybe, and undoubtedly an excellent defender, but I never had him down as outstandingly quick.

Ben White? He's very, very quick, relative to most centre backs. 'Outstandingly' is probably slightly overstating it (he's not Lamptey!) but yes, yes he is.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Just read the last couple of pages on here and cannot believe some of our fans seem to be relegating Veltman's part in our stupendous last minute goal !:eek:
It was the only option ! I would love to see them try to cushion volley a ball that was coming at some pace and angle from their goalie and drop it in the right place for one of our forwards to run onto . If that part had not been done to perfection there would not have been an equaliser for us all to go mad about !!!
Going to stop now before i say something i might regret :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just read the last couple of pages on here and cannot believe some of our fans seem to be relegating Veltman's part in our stupendous last minute goal !:eek:
It was the only option ! I would love to see them try to cushion volley a ball that was coming at some pace and angle from their goalie and drop it in the right place for one of our forwards to run onto . If that part had not been done to perfection there would not have been an equaliser for us all to go mad about !!!

You keep going sunshine.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I haven't seen a single post relegating Veltman's contribution to the equaliser. Who are these fans!? :mad:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Veltman played that brilliantly. Time was tight, it needed a first time pass at the right weight into the path of a forward. Performed to perfection. It was one of the best passes I can remember a Brighton player ever making. All credit to Maupay for getting on the end of it and scoring well. Happy days.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Veltman played that brilliantly. Time was tight, it needed a first time pass at the right weight into the path of a forward. Performed to perfection. It was one of the best passes I can remember a Brighton player ever making. All credit to Maupay for getting on the end of it and scoring well. Happy days.
Zaha being a lazy **** meant he was under no pressure when attempting that pass.

A little effort from the **** and veltman doesn't make that pass.

Makes it even more delicious

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He just paid back his £900k transfer fee. Again.

That volleyed assist and he meant it, was a thing of beauty.

Schooled at Ajax and it shows.

I had the misfortune of seeing a few pages of the match day thread earlier when we were losing (it seems to be like a bear pit for many of the moaners - I can’t personally post during a match as I’m engrossed!) and someone was saying he’s not been anywhere near as good this season - can’t see any difference myself.

Ps - some of the other comments about the team etc were painful - yes we didn’t play that well but the overreaction on the match threads is embarrassing really from some!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The highlighted part is true, but Welbeck also was through on goal via a similar ball in the same game. I really do like the fact that from time to time we do go long, it keeps the defence honest.

Yes, the ability to mix things up is important. That pass from Sanchez was also delicious, but Welbeck is quicker than Trossard and Maupay (neither of whom are slouches) so there aren't many occasions to take advantage of such a situation, and then you have to factor in that passes over such a distance are trickier to execute.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yes, the ability to mix things up is important. That pass from Sanchez was also delicious, but Welbeck is quicker than Trossard and Maupay (neither of whom are slouches) so there aren't many occasions to take advantage of such a situation, and then you have to factor in that passes over such a distance are trickier to execute.

Also his drop kick to Moder on the right wing was outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had the misfortune of seeing a few pages of the match day thread earlier when we were losing (it seems to be like a bear pit for many of the moaners - I can’t personally post during a match as I’m engrossed!) and someone was saying he’s not been anywhere near as good this season - can’t see any difference myself.

Ps - some of the other comments about the team etc were painful - yes we didn’t play that well but the overreaction on the match threads is embarrassing really from some!

I sometimes do whine in match threads, but imo nothing too bad compared to some others.

But then when I don’t post at all when we’re not playing well and it later all works out well with a win, I feel relieved that I hadn’t posted knee-jerk moans early doors.

My hunch about those who look to criticise Veltman is that they benchmark him to Lamptey. Two totally different types of RB - Lamptey is a great attacking player with much to learn defensively, whilst Veltman is brilliant defensively and the consummate team man.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I sometimes do whine in match threads, but imo nothing too bad compared to some others.

But then when I don’t post at all when we’re not playing well and it later all works out well with a win, I feel relieved that I hadn’t posted knee-jerk moans early doors.

My hunch about those who look to criticise Veltman is that they benchmark him to Lamptey. Two totally different types of RB - Lamptey is a great attacking player with much to learn defensively, whilst Veltman is brilliant defensively and the consummate team man.

Its weird. I dont see how anyone can complain about Veltman.

Obviously a few of you are batshit crazy who picked him as player of the season ahead of Bissouma, but far less batshit crazy than those who feel there is any reason to complain about Veltman. If he was a little quicker and better at crossing the ball, he would be considered one of the best RBs out there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Obviously a few of you are batshit crazy who picked him as player of the season ahead of Bissouma, but far less batshit crazy than those who feel there is any reason to complain about Veltman. If he was a little quicker and better at crossing the ball, he would be considered one of the best RBs out there.

I think I see what you did there, and even got a generous thumb for it. Admire the mischief, agree with the analysis, but might refrain from the use of language

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Veltman is excellent defensively. If he was quicker and better offensively, he wouldn't be at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here