Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The frustration for me is that Maupay loves those deliveries and those balls. So, why don't we play them more often? Turn a defence around and get him in behind. It's a simple tactic, but we have the players who can pull that sort of ball off and more and more teams play a high line. Arsenal will play high up the pitch on Saturday and their CBs are not the quickest. I would fancy two of Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck running in behind them to cause them problems and probably change their preferred tactics to counter what we're doing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The frustration for me is that Maupay loves those deliveries and those balls. So, why don't we play them more often? Turn a defence around and get him in behind. It's a simple tactic, but we have the players who can pull that sort of ball off and more and more teams play a high line. Arsenal will play high up the pitch on Saturday and their CBs are not the quickest. I would fancy two of Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck running in behind them to cause them problems and probably change their preferred tactics to counter what we're doing.

I think your wish will come true against Arsenal. Problem with playing that way is that you wont get the most out of Trossard.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Our most decorated player i reckon...

Ever?

Eredivisie: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2018–19
KNVB Cup: 2018–19
Johan Cruyff Shield: 2013, 2019
UEFA Europa League runner-up: 2016–17
FIFA World Cup third place: 2014
Eredivisie Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

At the end of the day, it should have been a relatively straight forward interception from the defender. Most centre backs in this league would lap that up all day long. It's success was the tiredness and pressure at the end of the game, perhaps completely switching off thinking the whistle was about to go. Not sure straight balls hit from the halfway line are going to have too much success generally without seriously working the opposition on the counter, or getting them out of position.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ever?

Bobby Smith runs him close

1960-61 - First Division (2)
1960-61 - FA Cup (3)
1961 - Charity Shield (3)
1961-62 - FA Cup (4)
1962 - Charity Shield (4)
1962-63 - European Cup Winners' Cup (1)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ever?

Six trophys, Welbeck got 8.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I hear Welbeck is a doubt, so maybe yes, Connolly and Maupay playing off White and Gabriels shoulder. Trossard in the hole

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sorry, what!?

Remember the young centre back we just sold them? He's probably the quickest centre back in the whole league.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Two things.
First, their defence was completely out of shape when Veltman played the ball. It was out of shape as a result of a dreadful goal kick. That's not going to repeat itself too often.
Second, I've had repeated confirmation that at least one of Arsenal's CB is rapid. Unlike two of our CBs, whose lack of pace is rarely acknowledged on here

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
:facepalm:

Trossard! You've just said it's the sort of game that doesn't get the best out of him!

Fits him just as badly. You'll get the most out of Trossard and Macallister the way Brighton usually play. If, on the other hand, the plan is to play the ball behind their backline, your number 10s usually suffer.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
At the end of the day, it should have been a relatively straight forward interception from the defender. Most centre backs in this league would lap that up all day long. It's success was the tiredness and pressure at the end of the game, perhaps completely switching off thinking the whistle was about to go. Not sure straight balls hit from the halfway line are going to have too much success generally without seriously working the opposition on the counter, or getting them out of position.

Yes should have been straightforward but defenders were caught flatfooted whilst Maupay was looking to go forward and gained a yard on them, we forced the mistake because the ball went forward, if that had been in the 90 mins the ball gets played sideways or back . Not saying we completely change mindset on something which has worked so far this season but we need to get the ball forward quickly when you can as Maupay, Wellbeck and Connolly all prefer that service rather than having to battle it out in the air against big centre halves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here