Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Dont understand. On Greyhound going Potter said was because would not get game time because we had Lampty and Montoya. As far as CHs without Duffy we have Dunk,Burn,Webster and White also a couple of outstanding under 23s

Well he is hardly going to say the Greyhound is leaving because we have signed a Dutch international!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well said.

I am astonished there is some negativity towards this signing?! I probably shouldn’t be judging by the negative comments about Lallana too but this is a fantastic piece of business.

Great work by the club the last few days.

Not when you see where it's coming from.

When it's the same place as always, I'd be more astonished if there wasn't any negativity.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The other point here is that Lamptey is a player of incredible promise, but he's 19. It's unrealistic that he won't suffer dips in form. We need someone to be able to come in and cover the position. This season we've had to put Alzate there as an emergency measure.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was bored so logged on to NSC to see if there were any rumours of potential players not expecting to see anything - then WOW! potential was already here. A strange signing to be honest as others have said but if the fee was what was quoted why not. Welcome Joel.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Veltman - 200 + appearances in 19 years at Ajax - 22 Dutch caps as recently as Nov - unreal we just do this shit now and don’t blink an eyelid x REMember these days true fans who have seen us through thick and thin - they won’t be here forever !!!!

Yes mate. Not so long ago we were begging for cast offs from Swindon, Port Vale and Wycombe. I tried to explain this to my 8 year old recently and he just looked at me like I was on a wind up

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tbf I think you can safely have a punt at 900k at this level. Especially with his experience in the Champions League.

Not quite the same as the £18m or whatever we paid for Locadia.

Agree.

I also think Dutch football is generally quite poor, however, from the best team and £900k. Feels like good business.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Hang on, hang on.... Has anyone checked that MERSE has heard of him?!

merse.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What this says to me is that we fully expect 5 subs to be approved for next season and at least one big stoppage for Covid. This is a squad strengthening signing (though still expecting Duffy out, likely to Celtic and Montoya out or third choice RB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What this says to me is that we fully expect 5 subs to be approved for next season and at least one big stoppage for Covid. This is a squad strengthening signing (though still expecting Duffy out, likely to Celtic and Montoya out or third choice RB)

Good point too

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just a little tingle but feel we'll be moving on this season to the next level. Could be a good time to be an Albion fan (though from afar booooo). More to come......................

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It seems that Potter likes players who are pretty flexible. We've already seen that with Alzate and now we're seeing it with the defence. We have Burn who can play CB or LB, White who can play CB or DM and now Veltman who can play CB or RB. Throw in Lamptey who can play RB or further forward and we have a team that can change shape in the middle of the game. I know there's been talk of Maitland-Niles coming and it wouldn't surprise me to see him (or someone like him) to play LB or midfield.

I do wonder what it means for all our CBs. Clearly Duffy's on the way out and I suspect Clarke is back to Derby. But what about Ostigard, Dendoncker, Baluta and O'Hora. I suspect Roberts is out on loan but the others are a bit older.

What riches

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wasn't it approved a couple of weeks ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here