Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Veltman - 200 + appearances in 19 years at Ajax - 22 Dutch caps as recently as Nov - unreal we just do this shit now and don’t blink an eyelid x REMember these days true fans who have seen us through thick and thin - they won’t be here forever !!!!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont understand. On Greyhound going Potter said was because would not get game time because we had Lampty and Montoya. As far as CHs without Duffy we have Dunk,Burn,Webster and White also a couple of outstanding under 23s

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then wait to trawl up the same tired shite just like with Ryan.

That worked out well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He looks like a very good signing but I wish I was saying that about a striker rather than another defender.

Window has been open 3 DAYS....and we have two CL-experienced players we didn’t have last week....and not splashed the transfer budget on either.

Patience.........

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only one more cap for Holland than Propper, and he's not certain of a starting place next season.

His club pedigree is far higher than any defenders we have at the moment.

We've got nobody who has reached the latter stages of the Champions League. On that logic, the conversation should really be, who out of Dunk, Webby, White etc gets to play alongside Veltman.

It's not like, we're getting a player on their way down. 28 is probably as good as you're going to be as a centre back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe the plan is to push Ben White to midfield?

It's hard to believe this fella has arrived as a starter - let that sink in for a moment. :ohmy:

He's here to seamlessly replace, or at best rotate, with the chosen starting XI.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can see some young centre backs being sold on though. Though not White. I can see players like Baluta, Ostigard thinking they don't need to spend the next few years being loaned out to get game time and would prefer to find a permanent club. I reckon Clarke too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dont understand. On Greyhound going Potter said was because would not get game time because we had Lampty and Montoya. As far as CHs without Duffy we have Dunk,Burn,Webster and White also a couple of outstanding under 23s

Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Montoya go, and Veltman is more RB than CB. If we’re playing 3 CBs and two WBs, we’ll also need 5 first team ready CBs. With Veltman and Burn able to cover both CB and FB it makes perfect sense as a signing I reckon, particularly for when we revert to a back 4. Also, that quality of player for a 900k fee is just insane in today’s market.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
When you think about it, aside from Montoya there’s not actually that much elite level experience in our defenders.

Yes Dunky, but it’s still only his 3rd season in the PL. Webster is new, as is Lamptey, as is Burn, as is... Ben White.

Guys, we’ve just signed a Champions League player, Ajax’s RB, to help pass on some experience to our defence. And for 900k. Outstanding business by the club.

Burn played in the PL with Fulham

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
His club pedigree is far higher than any defenders we have at the moment.

We've got nobody who has reached the latter stages of the Champions League. On that logic, the conversation should really be, who out of Dunk, Webby, White etc gets to play alongside Veltman.

It's not like, we're getting a player on their way down. 28 is probably as good as you're going to be as a centre back.

Don’t forget Matt Clarke.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Veltman - 200 + appearances in 19 years at Ajax - 22 Dutch caps as recently as Nov - unreal we just do this shit now and don’t blink an eyelid x REMember these days true fans who have seen us through thick and thin - they won’t be here forever !!!!

Well said.

I am astonished there is some negativity towards this signing?! I probably shouldn’t be judging by the negative comments about Lallana too but this is a fantastic piece of business.

Great work by the club the last few days.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You have to be a pretty talented ball playing defender to hold down a first team spot in a Champions League Ajax team right?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, apart from being a bargain, it is at the very least a surprise move - didn't expect any defensive incoming unless it was a LB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Window has been open 3 DAYS....and we have two CL-experienced players we didn’t have last week....and not splashed the transfer budget on either.

Patience.........

But only 1 extra centre back - That doesn't sit at all comfortably with me.
We're still 3 short (4 if GPott decides to play rush goalie)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Top defender from a top Dutch side at peak age. It’s a no brainer and I don’t really care who he replaces. This is a quality signing.
We don’t even know if Potterball has a White in midfield yet. Let’s get a brilliant squad together that can be rested between games In what will be an intense season. Well done Albion.
Who’s next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here