Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not a slight on [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], but you have to be at games to truly player watch, especially defenders. TV follows the ball.

Veltman’s concentration for 90 minutes, positioning, sensing danger before it happens, is all exceptional.

As well as being deceptively strong and a master in dark defensive arts.

In the first half of the match at the Emirates (ie, when we were defending our end) I watched Dunk - a phenomenal performance. The concentration, the constant checking on the positioning of his colleagues, checking on the Arsenal forwards, etc. It was fascinating. You’re right, you never get those insights when you watch the match on TV

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rubbish, the camera follows the ball with a relatively small % of the pitch in view.

I'm not entirely sure you can argue about the view of the pitch we have at The AMEX with someone who's never been.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. I'd be hard pressed to say if Veltman or Gross is the bargain of our PL era. Both have been an outstanding bit of business by the club and have both been, overall, solid and reliable players and mainstays of our fantastic improvement under GPotts.

Physical strength is not necessarily related to ripped muscles. Veltman isn’t a bench press tart, core strength is key.

Allied to his knowledge of the game. No better place to learn than Ajax.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is no way that watching a game on tv gives you the same information as watching a player live does. None, unless you have a player cam and then you don’t get a decent view of the overall game.

Opinion based on watching from the halfway line with some, not too much, elevation

Why do clubs and managers actually send someone or go to games miles away otherwise. Even when the games are live on tv

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rubbish, the camera follows the ball with a relatively small % of the pitch in view.

Relatively small I wouldn't say.

Obviously there are things that are easier to spot live, and there are things that are (usually) easier to spot on television. If for instance I stand behind one of the goals it is pretty much physically impossible that I get a better view on what is happening on the other side of the pitch. There's zero logic to claiming the opposite.

I'm sure your parents do. On here, not so much.

Well, that is your personal individual take. Some care, some don't. Both are equally fine with me. You do as you please.

Anyway, with the most common opinion here being that you can't have opinions on anything unless you see it live in the stadium, I guess there will be no opinions during the World Cup as no-one seems to be going to Qatar. No critisism against Maguire, because how could you judge him when you're not in the stands? Or is this idea that watching football on TV is borderline useless only a case when you're disagreeing with someone?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Relatively small I wouldn't say.

Obviously there are things that are easier to spot live, and there are things that are (usually) easier to spot on television. If for instance I stand behind one of the goals it is pretty much physically impossible that I get a better view on what is happening on the other side of the pitch. There's zero logic to claiming the opposite.

You’re forgetting that those of us who watch most of the actual games live then watch the TV coverage afterwards, so we have both perspectives.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know what I see as well.

I've been to 60+ stadiums. Not many times did I get a better overview than I would on telly.

People care a ****load about my opinions by the way.

Are many of the ****loads, Brighton supporters who actually go to matches home and away?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You’re forgetting that those of us who watch most of the actual games live then watch the TV coverage afterwards, so we have both perspectives.

As opposed to being told what we saw by people who weren't there to see it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As opposed to being told what we saw by people who weren't there to see it.

It’s most evident in the ‘player ratings’ thread usually……..people not there being unaware (for example) of the amount of work Maupay puts in

‘Worked so hard, created so much space for Welbeck with his off the ball running…..8’

‘Didn’t score again. Not involved in play. Get rid. 3’

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s most evident in the ‘player ratings’ thread usually……..people not there being unaware (for example) of the amount of work Maupay puts in

‘Worked so hard, created so much space for Welbeck with his off the ball running…..8’

‘Didn’t score again. Not involved in play. Get rid. 3’

You know your preaching to the choir over that point.

That thread is the most self-aggrandizing, pompous, look at me, echo chamber thread on here.
Let that sink in for a minute!

"On here"

My input alone should make that statement redundant, and yet I stand by it.

A genuine one was:-

'Groß - 4, did nothing'.

In a game where he had an 8 performance due to his assist and creating the winning goal.
The poster responded 'oh was that Groß, I thought it was someone else'.

For me it's an ideal thread to say 'I thought x was superb today'.
But to individually mark every player while pretending to be some pseudo intellectual reporter of the GAME is so so silly

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
7C68AC18-6B6C-43F1-8757-B8769C9363B1.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here