Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I guess it depends on whether you believe the original source of the Ajax claim!

Well they might have been right. He really wasn't as good defensively in Ajax. The Netherlands is pretty much the only place you still do man-man defense meaning your physical & technical ability will be a lot more worth than your tactical know-how, which is clearly his biggest strength. He is fairly slow, won't outmuscle many, can't cross the ball, can't dribble, can't shoot, won't do slick through passes... but he reads the game and his opponents extremely well. He fits in a system where he can make independent decisions based on what the team needs in any given moment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well they might have been right. He really wasn't as good defensively in Ajax. The Netherlands is pretty much the only place you still do man-man defense meaning your physical & technical ability will be a lot more worth than your tactical know-how, which is clearly his biggest strength. He is fairly slow, won't outmuscle many, can't cross the ball, can't dribble, can't shoot, won't do slick through passes... but he reads the game and his opponents extremely well. He fits in a system where he can make independent decisions based on what the team needs in any given moment.

I'm sorry but here is the proof that you've never watched him live in the premier league. I know you watch an awful lot of football with a lot of people I have never heard of, and I do appreciate you contributing your views on a lot of these obscure players, even if you were less than compos mentis a lot of the time. We were all young once :thumbsup:

But, having watched every minute of Joel's home performances and a couple away, I can only say that if you think Joel is 'slow' and 'can't outmuscle many' then you have no idea of what he is like as a player in real life. (But I can understand why you may think that if you've never actually watched a Premier League game on the telly with associated narrative). Sorry :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sorry but here is the proof that you've never watched him live in the premier league. I know you watch an awful lot of football with a lot of people I have never heard of, and I do appreciate you contributing your views on a lot of these obscure players, even if you were less than compos mentis a lot of the time. We were all young once :thumbsup:

But, having watched every minute of Joel's home performances and a couple away, I can only say that if you think Joel is slow and 'can't outmuscle many' then you have no idea of what he is like as a player. (but I can understand why you may think that if you've never actually watched a Premier League game and only seen it on the telly). Sorry :shrug:

Agreed. Hard as nails and in the ‘seven’. Rarely bullied off the ball.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Extremely good summary - well judged.
You should be a pundit :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But, having watched every minute of Joel's home performances and a couple away, I can only say that if you think Joel is 'slow' and 'can't outmuscle many' then you have no idea of what he is like as a player in real life. (But I can understand why you may think that if you've never actually watched a Premier League game on the telly with associated narrative). Sorry :shrug:

I agree. Though I would say that initially the physicality surprised him, but he adapted very quickly and is a mainstay of the team IMO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not a slight on [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], but you have to be at games to truly player watch, especially defenders. TV follows the ball.

Veltman’s concentration for 90 minutes, positioning, sensing danger before it happens, is all exceptional.

As well as being deceptively strong and a master in dark defensive arts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a slight on [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], but you have to be at games to truly player watch, especially defenders. TV follows the ball.

Veltman’s concentration for 90 minutes, positioning, sensing danger before it happens, is all exceptional.

When Jnr was much younger he played the Biss role.
But attempted to play with all the flair of Groß (but without the ability).
So was constantly losing the ball.

For the first half of a game at the AMEX we only watched Stephens.

A masterclass in KISS ensued, Jnr got the message, and played considerably better the next morning.

You just don't get that watching on TV although I'm sure in the completely pointless Player Rating Thread he got 4/10 didn't pass forward!!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When Jnr was much younger he played the Biss role.
But attempted to play with all the flair of Groß (but without the ability).
So was constantly losing the ball.

For the first half of a game at the AMEX we only watched Stephens.

A masterclass in KISS ensued, Jnr got the message, and played considerably better the next morning.

You just don't get that watching on TV.

I used to watch Stephens. In his Championship and first two EPL seasons, he was the master in protecting the CB’s, sensing vulnerabilities, then passing it simple to a creative player. Unsung work.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. I'd be hard pressed to say if Veltman or Gross is the bargain of our PL era. Both have been an outstanding bit of business by the club and have both been, overall, solid and reliable players and mainstays of our fantastic improvement under GPotts.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The old Cruijffian saying works well here: "Speed is often confused with insight. If I move earlier, I appear faster". Same goes for strength... if you go in to a duel knowing exactly what to do, you're going to look stronger than you are. IMO there is no chance that Veltman physically speaking is stronger or faster than for example Michail Antonio. He is just a lot smarter.

As for the condescending shit, let me throw you some back... it is quite established that a man in his 30s is very likely to have superior cognitive functions than someone in his 60s or 70s, so any time you do the "we were all once young" you're really should be adding "...but now I'm pretty ****ing far past my peak and might be speaking in my nightcap".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Plus you're not influenced by the commentary.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The old Cruijffian saying works well here: "Speed is often confused with insight. If I move earlier, I appear faster". Same goes for strength... if you go in to a duel knowing exactly what to do, you're going to look stronger than you are. IMO there is no chance that Veltman physically speaking is stronger or faster than for example Michail Antonio. He is just a lot smarter.

As for the condescending shit, let me throw you some back... it is quite established that a man in his 30s is very likely to have superior cognitive functions than someone in his 60s or 70s, so any time you do the "we were all once young" you're really should be adding "...but now I'm pretty ****ing far past my peak and might be speaking in my nightcap".

You don't do yourself any favours posting shite like this.

At the end of the day, you are not going to convince anyone on here that you have a better view and analysis of Veltman watching TV than we do live. We know what we see.

You should try it sometime (watching Brighton live) and then someone might actually care about your opinion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Plus you're not influenced by the commentary.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Weststander make player ratings based on radio commentary...

Anyway, there's some things that are difficult to see on TV but we're past the 1970s when everyone had a small fat screen where you'd be lucky if you could see anything. I see most of the pitch when I watch football on my biggest screen. Most likely I have a far better view than 90% of the people in any stadium.

As for Stephens.. no need to watch him live to see his brilliance. Just shut your ears when someone call him Sideway Stephens or shit like that, and watch him play instead and you'll see he is (or rather was) a brilliant defensive playmaker.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm pretty sure I've seen Weststander make player ratings based on radio commentary...

Anyway, there's some things that are difficult to see on TV but we're past the 1970s when everyone had a small fat screen where you'd be lucky if you could see anything. I see most of the pitch when I watch football on my biggest screen. Most likely I have a far better view than 90% of the people in any stadium.

As for Stephens.. no need to watch him live to see his brilliance. Just shut your ears when someone call him Sideway Stephens or shit like that, and watch him play instead and you'll see he is (or rather was) a brilliant defensive playmaker.

Rubbish, the camera follows the ball with a relatively small % of the pitch in view.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You don't do yourself any favours posting shite like this.

At the end of the day, you are not going to convince anyone on here that you have a better view and analysis of Veltman watching TV than we do live. We know what we see.

You should try it sometime (watching Brighton live) and then someone might actually care about your opinion.

I know what I see as well.

I've been to 60+ stadiums. Not many times did I get a better overview than I would on telly.

People care a ****load about my opinions by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here