Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Why does he play?

How does he egt a starting place in the squad let alone the first eleven?

The guy is awful...He is still young but how long can we make that excuse about him..When Revell came on you could see the difference in skill,determination and overall ability...Its not nice to have to really applaud a substitution but the guy is rubbish game after game.....

If he went in the summer he will go to someone like crawley and slowly drift into non-league IMHO

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
No he wouldn't as Sussex have told him if he does not make it in the football league they would give him a contract as he is a superb cricketer. I think he just needs time. Jake was poor for the first season or so when he made the step up and I think Gatting will be the same. Everyone at the club says he is the best finisher by a long way so all he needs to do is learn more about getting into the right positions and how to jump for the ball. he holds up the ball well and looks to play others in so he needs to improve on other parts of the game.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The reasons he plays are that, despite lacking pace, he reads the game well, holds the ball, is strong and scores goals. He ran himself into the ground at Gillingham and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed for offside.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Give the guy a chance. Look how long it took with Robinson and he's still struggling now, despite obviously being good enough. I doubt he's on a massive wage, he needs at least another season after this one before you can start moaning about him too much.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Funny you should mention Revell, he was deemed not good enough and very much surplus to requirements at Cambridge. Amazing what a bit of time and nurture can do for a player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think that he needs more time and to be able to be used less frequently but the worry is his lack of pace.

He has shown a distinct improvement in the physical side of his play recently fending off challenges etc.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Barrel of Fun said:
17 starts and 22 substitute appearances. Bit too early to write him off, don't you think byf?

I personally think he's one of the worst looking forwards I have seen in a few years....He looks lightweight..rarely wins anything in the air..and if he does contribute it is a shock..as soon as we decide who should partner Savage and where to slot revell back in the side..the better!

larus

BensGrandad said:
Think that he needs more time and to be able to be used less frequently but the worry is his lack of pace.

He has shown a distinct improvement in the physical side of his play recently fending off challenges etc.

Pace isn't everything if you can read the game well. Just ask a certain Mr Sherringham.

I think he's shown steady improvement. I am just amazed at what some people expect from a young man moving up from youth team to first team. :nono:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
byf said:
I personally think he's one of the worst looking forwards I have seen in a few years....He looks lightweight..rarely wins anything in the air..and if he does contribute it is a shock..as soon as we decide who should partner Savage and where to slot revell back in the side..the better!

So what do you suggest we do? Get rid of him? Like Cambridge did to Revell?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
byf said:

Much too harsh and threads like this would do his confidence the world of good, if he read it, I don't think.

Would it not be better to offer some praise occassionally and pick out his strong points to encourage him.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
larus said:
Pace isn't everything if you can read the game well. Just ask a certain Mr Sherringham.

I think he's shown steady improvement. I am just amazed at what some people expect from a young man moving up from youth team to first team. :nono:

Now is it not important to play your best eleven....Revell sat on the bench is a real talent..this guy looks like he really does not offer us anything...he dissapears for long periods and really looked a joke at gillingham irrelevant of effort he's just not at the races.

As for expectation..if he cant perform to the standard required at this stage then why does he start?? for me he stands out for being poor..just IMHO though!

Les Biehn said:
Funny you should mention Revell, he was deemed not good enough and very much surplus to requirements at Cambridge. Amazing what a bit of time and nurture can do for a player.

And this was said by Mendoza 10 when he was signed:

who the fcuk is Alex Revell
22 year old prolific striker from Braintree

we have, Kazim-Richards, Robinson, Gatting, so what do you reckon we should sign?

just what we need, ANOTHER young striker with potential, we dont have one of them, so theres room for one in the squad. His DVD must be good )

Explains why most of us never made it to become a professional football manager.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
byf said:
Now is it not important to play your best eleven....Revell sat on the bench is a real talent..!

Revell has just come back from a nasty injury. It's really not that hard to work out why he's on the bench, is it?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Commander said:
So what do you suggest we do? Get rid of him? Like Cambridge did to Revell?

Use him in the last 10...fresh young legs chucked on and 110% effort running at defenses..exxactly how I would use robinson!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
byf said:
Use him in the last 10...fresh young legs chucked on and 110% effort running at defenses..exxactly how I would use robinson!

Which is probably what we will do once Revell is fully fit again.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Commander said:
Which is probably what we will do once Revell is fully fit again.

I hope we do.....If we could get revell back to the form he was b4 his injury and maybe bring in one other to replace the bowditch saga..then we will have a decent forward line..

Just dont rate Gatting and never have....How many times have you heard a massive chorus of boo's when a player has stayed on the pitch..ie gillingham away...also getting subbed at half time on saturday..he makes just no impact what so ever!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My concern about this reliance on the youth teamers is that they are not really getting the xperience they need. If you look at Wenger, he brings youngsters like wallcott etc in gradually, not just sling them in straight away and carry on playing them when it is obvious they are tired and losing confidence.

Cox is the perfect example of this. he should be playing 5 and then sitting out 5 so giving his young frame time to recover. I would apply this to gatting and robinson.

the problem with gatting is that he is becoming the next victim in the " I support Brighton and Hove Albion and I will abuse anyone I like" attitude of some fans. He is young...doing his best with not a very good team in the third division!

I think if we were not saturated with Prem football, and therefore compare everyone with these players, then we would see that gatting is actually a very good young player who is learing his trade. It will take time!

I would day to these "fans" lay off him, or his confidence will be so affected, we will lose a good talent.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think he's helped by the response of some of the "fans". Take for example the two idiots who were behind me on Saturday. They dished out constant abuse to Joe throughout the 1st half.

I know players need to have thick skins, but Joe's only a young lad, and needs our support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here