Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jobs

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Anyway 38 is no age, no age at all. You also have your kids who love you so you have a lot. You have only failed when you give up.

i started as manager of a local info and support centre, in midst of a challenging and deprived area, at aged 57. also my employers are very aware of my health background (mental illness, substance issues, etc). up front and open has worked for me many times before. at the end of the day my life experience is part of where i am today. i understand that not every employer sees things this way but enough do for me to at least keep the faith inpeople

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is true retail and coffee places will go for younger as they can pay them less, give less holidays and unfortunately, boss them around more. However places like B&Q have a policy of employing older people as they are more trusted by customers so there are places you can try.

If i were in your situation I would get my SIA licence. There are loads of jobs out there with this licence. Even if you just get a job as Front of house security, signing people in and out of offices etc, it is fairly well paid and not too taxing. I would be happy to put you in touch with some security companies if you go this route.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
im am close to giving up:facepalm: benefits are crap and the vulture money tree has died....never thought 5 years ago when i had a house and 25k in the bank i could ever end up like this...just shows you

Thing is, it's not your circumstances that give you who you are, but who you are being in the face of your circumstances. There is something to be had in separating out the two.

I had such a shitty time for about three years when I got made redundant about five times. It would have been OKish if I had been sacked for doing something wrong, but in each of them it was because of budget cuts in local government and regeneration programmes coming to an end and whole teams going. I felt powerless. It really felt like one thing after another which I had no control over and some aspects of how I felt remind me of some of the things you've said in your posts.

What really helped was a friend and colleague helping me to separate the things that I had collapsed together, and that just because a situation is in a bad way, it didn't mean that I had to give up or become depressed. So my questions to you, is what is your familiar way of dealing with your circumstances? What would be an unfamiliar way? What would be possible for you and your life if you could deal with things in an unfamiliar way?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
have you considered seasonal work like fruit picking? probably doesn't pay much but might be worth a little look around the web for information?

oh and don't feel bad or any sense of shame around having a spot of mental ill-health mate. it is very very common. think OCD, eating disorders, and depression, for example. 3 common things that affect loads of people all across the UK and are all a form of mental ill-health. don't feel bad for feeling bad buddy!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
thanks again for all the great advice and offers of free tickets.....can make Tuesday if any one has a spare free ticket:thumbsup:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Tesco at Holmbush were taking on people to do there on line deliverys if you can drive Vulture.Also they have just opened the new extra store in Durrington.Worth a try.Good luck, and u.s is correct.you are at a good age to employ.chin up mate. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here