Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jobs

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Got nearly 10 years on me , that is a good age. Time is still on your side. Last job I applied for , 300 applications. Seriously try Ladbrokes, flexible hours and a fun environment, pay about £ 6-7 ph but £ 10 for unsocial hours roughly. I applied to Ladbrokes last summer, didn't even get a reply :laugh:, I reckon your age range is more what they are after.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have applied for about 8 jobs in the last 6 months, mostly part time work and haven't even managed 1 interview, most did not reply, I also strongly think if you are the wrong side of 45 your application goes directly to the shredder.

I know it's a dirty word on here *whisper* but have you tried a recruitment agency.

I have been applying online for jobs back in the UK for the last 18 months with no joy. Just by chance I came across what appears to be a decent agency who have got me interviews, and now 2nd interviews for three very good roles.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I doubt Brunswick has the first idea of the job market out there, its good just to get a job, any jobs, even cleaning toilets at the moment, the reality if the toilet cleaning job would have 100 applicants for it, also he clearly has never had depression and is the " pull yourself together " mentality.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have you thought about doing voluntary work ?

It will give structure to your days during the week and get you used to being back in work
It will look good on your cv (and show that you can be depended on)
It may lead to some opportunities
You may enjoy the work, knowing you are doing something useful

Good Luck

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know it's a dirty word on here *whisper* but have you tried a recruitment agency.

I have been applying online for jobs back in the UK for the last 18 months with no joy. Just by chance I came across what appears to be a decent agency who have got me interviews, and now 2nd interviews for three very good roles.

Like I say, go to Hays. At the moment they have government funding for free re-training. At the least it is going to look like you have been using your time wisely. If a potential employer sees that your health conditions haven't stopped you training they may give you a break?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I am registered with some. I am basically unemployed now and have been for 2 years, I do know how it destroys your self worth and self esteem so I know what Vulture is going through, the job market is horrendous. He needs to try Ladbrokes imo.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Have you thought about doing voluntary work ?

It will give structure to your days during the week and get you used to being back in work
It will look good on your cv (and show that you can be depended on)
It may lead to some opportunities
You may enjoy the work, knowing you are doing something useful

Good Luck

must say that i do agree with that mate. i know that it is not always a popular route, i certainly took that road though and it did lead to me working again. i also continued with the voluntary work up until my current ticker troubles

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I am registered with some. I am basically unemployed now and have been for 2 years, I do know how it destroys your self worth and self esteem so I know what Vulture is going through, the job market is horrendous. He needs to try Ladbrokes imo.

ditto to all you say US

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Like I say, go to Hays. At the moment they have government funding for free re-training. At the least it is going to look like you have been using your time wisely. If a potential employer sees that your health conditions haven't stopped you training they may give you a break?

Yes, and it's important to address the issue of health conditions with the employer about what it means and what it doesn't mean. You can gain people's respect in being up front and dealing with it openly so it doesn't become something that by default, they would use as a reason to reject your application.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
even costa coffee had 400 people go for ten jobs in their new store

That does not surprise me in LA im afraid, as you well know. will be same i imagine with new Iceland and lidl. i will definately ask around mate.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway 38 is no age, no age at all. You also have your kids who love you so you have a lot. You have only failed when you give up.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Good luck Vulture, hope you find something soon.

As a 16 year old who is going to College in the summer this thread has made me realised how screwed i'm going to be. :nono:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
That does not surprise me in LA im afraid, as you well know. will be same i imagine with new Iceland and lidl. i will definately ask around mate.

iceland will be my new next door neighbour they have already got new staff....lidl might be good.....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The facts are ex bank managers and people in my line of work or finance are applying to costa, mcdonalds, tesco for £ 6 an hour jobs. These places are more likely to go for younger people or studenty types.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I found it difficult to work in the public eye serving people because when i felt down i had to put a brave face on, something i just couldn't do.

Most of my work has been office and warehouse work through agencies. They're very understanding and certainly don't discriminate against people with mental health problems.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Anyway 38 is no age, no age at all. You also have your kids who love you so you have a lot. You have only failed when you give up.

im am close to giving up:facepalm: benefits are crap and the vulture money tree has died....never thought 5 years ago when i had a house and 25k in the bank i could ever end up like this...just shows you

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Exactly. When I did my CSCS course at the end the trainer took mine and a few of the older guys (me 32, others 37 and 39) contact details because if he had any work coming up he would rather have older, more responsible people working for him. The younger guys, 21, 25, 26 weren't asked.

So A) your age is not restrictive and B) doing training and voluntary work puts you in touch with people and make contacts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here