Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job Interview

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Offer to suck him off anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
be confident,
dont bullshit
make sure your CV is accurate and you have evidence to back up your quallies
look the interviewers in the eye

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nope, an unfit 18 year old male, Web Journalist position....

Ah...here's where I can help. I run a news-driven website so I do lots of interviews with young journalists.

Make sure you know the website in question inside out and back-to-front.
Learn everything you can about the company.
Have knowledge of recent news stories, both generally and in the relevant sector
Have a list of websites that you look at regularly - list of newspapers/magazines always helps
Have a sample of some work and be prepared to answer questions on them
Be punctual

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I had an interview on Monday.

They asked me what sort of school I'd been to. Not sure whether they were impressed or disappointed with my comprehensive education.

I should have made a copy of my application form, cos when I got into the boardroom, I forgot all the bullshit I'd included on my form. I would reccommend that you make a copy and refresh your memory before you go in.

Good luck.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Also very importantly, these days for professional indemnity insurance etc etc, companies are obliged to run new starters through CRB checks etc.....therefore one of the things they will check is your qualifications.

We "caught" 5 people in the last few months putting stuff down they had not done!!!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Oh, and remove anything incriminating off Facebook. Apparently employers check social networking stuff these days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also very importantly, these days for professional indemnity insurance etc etc, companies are obliged to run new starters through CRB checks etc.....therefore one of the things they will check is your qualifications.

We "caught" 5 people in the last few months putting stuff down they had not done!!!

Yeah, that's an important point. I love it when people put down they speak French or German so I can then propose we conduct the rest of the interview in that language.
One bloke I interviewed couldn't get out of the room fast enough when I spoke to him in German. :D

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Next week I have a interview for a job I don't stand a chance in getting. Anyone have any tips on how to make a good impression?

What is the point in going for something you have no chance of getting?

Oh, and remove anything incriminating off Facebook. Apparently employers check social networking stuff these days.

You're correct Gina - my wife's had such feedback from her HR Dept on an interviewee she saw a few weeks ago.
My son was also advised to do this by his University Careers Dept (Exeter).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This may sound a bit "No shit sherlock", but wear a suit, or at the very least a shirt and tie, and nice shiny shoes. You would not believe the amount of people (especially young people) I've seen turning up for interviews inappropriately dressed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ah...here's where I can help. I run a news-driven website so I do lots of interviews with young journalists.

Have a list of websites that you look at regularly -

I think most 18 year old lads would have to be selective about this bit!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have a list of questions ready...write them down if necessary.

What's your policy on 'duvet days'?
When do you want me to start?
Will I be able to choose my own car?
Is that receptionist single?
What's your job like?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're correct Gina - my wife's had such feedback from her HR Dept on an interviewee she saw a few weeks ago.
My son was also advised to do this by his University Careers Dept (Exeter).

Surely just set your account to only let people who are your friends view your account? Sorted

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham

Make sure you know the website in question inside out and back-to-front.
Learn everything you can about the company.
Have knowledge of recent news stories, both generally and in the relevant sector
Have a list of websites that you look at regularly - list of newspapers/magazines always helps
Have a sample of some work and be prepared to answer questions on them
Be punctual

Good list plus another obvious one
Why do you want the job?
amazing how many errs and ums come with that one

Good luck

Have a list of questions ready...write them down if necessary.

Good tip. It's bloody rubbish to sit there fielding a bunch of shite questions from someone who already thinks you beneath them, or as fodder for their intimidating questionaire.

Have one of your own, and make sure they are prepared to put any of their own promises in writing. REQUIRE things of the employer, no-one got far in ANY relationship without self-respect and the command of respect from others.

Be a little less "I have no chance" about this job too - obviously someone has to do this work, and if you WANT the job, you must be envisioning yourself doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here