Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Gannon made redundant !

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Stochport's new owners, if they get one, might employ Gannon. Just because he turned Brighton down does not make him a bad person or bad manager. He had the decency to come down to talk to Dick Knight and gave him a quick reply. He could have jumped ship but chose to stay at the club he played for and stayed loyal to them. Loyalty is a quality that some on NSC seem to lack and those people should be ashamed of themselves. Good luck to the man. I doubt that he will stay unemployed for long.

How can he be made redundant as that means that they can not advertise his job or re-employ somebody in that capacity again for some time.
They could make all their strikers redundant. Just pack the team with defenders and hope that they can survive in this division with 46 goal-less draws.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Feel for their fans,imagine it was this club that was being dimantled bit by bit,for the sake of 500k,not that bothered about mr gannon as he is a decent manager and will no doubt find another club,him turning us down maybe the best thing thats happened to this club in the long run,cant fault the guy for seeing out the season with stockport when he could have gone to a number of clubs.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I trust Gannon hasn't just reached the end of a contract then?

Unlike the majority of employees, football folk are usually on fixed term contracts, therefore can be released as soon as they expire. How long did Gannon have?

And once again, where's the need to take the piss out of the bloke, he really hasn't done anything wrong (although I'm sure he himself is questioning that right now).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bit of a no brainer really.
Knight: Hello Jim, would you Like to manage a team with potential and lead us to the new stadium when completed, have job security for a least a couple of years or till the fans get pissed off with you; rather than stay at a club who are doomed to administration which cannot be stopped, cannot pay wages and may go into oblivion.
Gannon: No
:shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As Drew spoke about, the fact that he's been made redundant surely means that if they appoint someone else as "Manager", then they're breaking the law and Gannon will be able to sue them? Like David Brent on the Office, he was made redundant and then they gave his job to Gareth, so he sued and won! There is a precedent here! I wonder what the Stockport fans must be feeling now. :(

Short term contract at his own request I understand.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Southampton are rumoured to be inrested...as they are getting new owners within next 24 hours

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody keeps on about the points deduction and Leeds but the biggest culprits that got the rules changed were Boston who were losing their last game of the season 2 - 0 at halftime and virtually certain to be relegated as they had to win plus some other team lose so they went into administration at half time on the last day of the season.

Granted they were going out of the league but if they could do it any team in Div 1 or The Championship could do the same.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hopefully nothing will change for the guy. He would have got another job this summer anyway and it is just as likely that that will remain the case.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Where has all this animosity to Gannon come from. His reasons for turning down the Albion were that his family were settled in the North West, that he wanted to remain loyal to Stockport. He had the courtesy to listen to Dick Knight, but decided it wasn’t for him.

I remember Nobby Horton coming out with exactly the same reasons why he wanted to leave us and go back to the North West and manage Port Vale. Is Nobby Horton a wanker…….of course not.

Gannon did what he thought was best for his family and for his club. Admirable if you ask me.

So, its turned out that he has lost his job. No gloating matter. I doubt very much if he will stay unemployed for long

In some respects I would have preferred Gannon as manager. Slades record of keeping teams in the same division after being in serious bother is second to none. But he hasn’t tended to get teams out of divisions. Can he take teams only so far. i.e a motivator, rather than a tactician? Well time will tell

I for one wish Gannon well

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Where has all this animosity to Gannon come from. His reasons for turning down the Albion were that his family were settled in the North West, that he wanted to remain loyal to Stockport. He had the courtesy to listen to Dick Knight, but decided it wasn’t for him.

I remember Nobby Horton coming out with exactly the same reasons why he wanted to leave us and go back to the North West and manage Port Vale. Is Nobby Horton a wanker…….of course not.

Gannon did what he thought was best for his family and for his club. Admirable if you ask me.

So, its turned out that he has lost his job. No gloating matter. I doubt very much if he will stay unemployed for long

In some respects I would have preferred Gannon as manager. Slades record of keeping teams in the same division after being in serious bother is second to none. But he hasn’t tended to get teams out of divisions. Can he take teams only so far. i.e a motivator, rather than a tactician? Well time will tell

I for one wish Gannon well

Totally agree with the vast majority of that. However I am glad things turned out the way they did with Slade. I think he will be able to get us out of this division

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Steve Coppell has said that even if Reading go up this season he might well retire and if he does Gannon would be a good replacement. Stockport were right up there in Div 1 before their financial problems came to light and were one of the best teams that we played this season. They were better than us last Saturday.Gannon will go on to bigger and better things if he decides to stay in football. An assistant manager's job in the premiership to learn the ropes in managing a top side?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here