Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jermaine Jenas sacked…

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
That's a good point. I had only half an eye on the kerfuffle after the Edwards conviction because the usual suspects were using it as as a stick to beat the BBC with (boring), but assumed they had done something wrong to justify the late demanding of repayment of salary.

Having now checked the facts it seems there was no wrongdoing by the BBC and the criticism was indeed just more campaigning by the 'defund the BBC

I'm saying Jenas wasn't a PR car crash (so it is not 'another'), and it looks like Edwards was also processed appropriately.

My regard for the BBC is undiminished.:shrug:

It is a car crash for the individuals, of course.
You can admire an institution without being wilfully blind to its failings too. They screwed up in spades over Edwards. There were lots of complaints from BBC underlings (see the Newsnight investigation) before finally the parents of a teenager went to the papers because the corporation ignored their concerns. And that was before the cops charged him with having nonce pictures. Now, somewhat belatedly, the new chairman wants him to repay £200K of his £450K salary. Does that really suggest everything was ‘processed appropriately’?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Slightly OT but I work in theatre as a stage manager, and on my first day with the actors every time without fail, I do my little introduction (who I am, what I do for green actors etc). Part of that is saying along the lines of “I will never initiate physical contact with any of you, unless it is for your own safety. Such as moving you out of the way of set pieces or lights etc when I don’t have time to ask”.

This actually goes down really well in the theatre world, and a director came over and said once “I think you’re going to do really well here”… :)

Some work places such as theatre are all about trust and “safe spaces”, and it just takes one person being pervy to ruin the whole process.

Obviously, in practice it’s reciprocal hugs all the time, but simply addressing it early on as something of an “authority figure” (in the stage space at least) really sets a good tone.

That said, actors consensually screw like bunnies :lol:
This is why I always make a point of standing in the way when I’m in your theatre. 😏

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can admire an institution without being wilfully blind to its failings too. They screwed up in spades over Edwards. There were lots of complaints from BBC underlings (see the Newsnight investigation) before finally the parents of a teenager went to the papers because the corporation ignored their concerns. And that was before the cops charged him with having nonce pictures. Now, somewhat belatedly, the new chairman wants him to repay £200K of his £450K salary. Does that really suggest everything was ‘processed appropriately’?
I'm not willfully blind to its failings.

But I an not a member of 'yet another example of the disgrace that is the BBC that should be defunded' gang either.

I replied because I am not impressed by snidey comments about the BBC that map to the latter trope.

I don't want the BBC turned into an advert-funded private company. Could do better? Probably. That's all.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Via The Scum. An awful choice by his crisis management/PR consultants.
Agree. Blaming the BBC, whining that HR said he couldn’t contact the two girls to apologize. Maybe keep your head down and/or show some contrition.?

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
I'm not willfully blind to it's failings.

But I an not a member of 'yet another example of the disgrace that is the BBC that should be defunded' gang either.

I replied because I am not impressed by snidey comments about the BBC that map to the latter trope.

I don't want the BBC turned into an advert-funded private company. Could do better? Probably. That's all.
I agree.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Reported he sent a dick pick to his colleague 🙄

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And much younger and in more junior roles than Jenas. The workplace power dynamic.

If this is true

Sending a 'dick pic' to someone you've met, had a one (maybe two) night stand with when you're a kid, to my mind, a pretty classless and stupid thing to do.

To do it to someone you work with completely unwarranted (and particularly if you are senior to them) is nasty, sexist, bullying which should be called out immediately. Only a complete c*** would do such a thing and should never be left in a position of responsibility again :mad:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If this is true

Sending a 'dick pic' to someone you've met, had a one (maybe two) night stand with when you're a kid, to my mind, a pretty classless and stupid thing to do.

To do it to someone you work with completely unwarranted (and particularly if you are senior to them) is nasty, sexist, bullying which should be called out immediately. Only a complete c*** would do such a thing and should never be left in a position of responsibility again :mad:
Not sure he was in a position of ‘responsibility’, more just one of ‘look at me, I’m famous and can do what I want’. Agree it’s the behaviour of a complete ***t though. Sure he’ll use his upcoming time out of the spotlight to focus on his life choices

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure he was in a position of ‘responsibility’, more just one of ‘look at me, I’m famous and can do what I want’. Agree it’s the behaviour of a complete ***t though. Sure he’ll use his upcoming time out of the spotlight to focus on his life choices

A position of power.

Going by reports from junior staff on Strictly, some celebs/dancers treated them with aggression and like shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here