Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
For everyone claiming that Milner is this season's Lallana or Welbeck, we signed Welbeck and Lallana in 2020 when they were 29 and 31 respectively. Milner is 37 ???
When we signed Lallana he hadn’t played more that 15 league games in a season for 3 seasons at Liverpool.
Milner hasn’t played less than 22 league games in a season for 12 years.
Most often he plays over 30, plus plenty of minutes in the Champions League.

He’s obviously not the future stars we’re used to, but it’s about balance and finding value that other clubs ignore. Milner’s age is why he is available to us but I would guess the data profile for him is aligned with a much younger player.

At Forest on Wednesday the game noticeably started to slip away from us and being able to have brought Milner on at that stage would have been exactly what we needed.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Succession planning,lallana is being groomed as our next coach and milner is his assistant.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Some frankly ridiculous comments saying no thanks. Would hate to do a cross compare of those against anyone crying out for squad depth on the other thread.

Has he been worse this season? Probably, but so has their whole team. Has he been picked less, yes, but Klopp has realised he needs to transition to a younger team. Remember their target is to win everything and exist on a different level to us.

He covers multiple positions, is a model pro and he would be FREE.

To buy a squad player that is good enough to get anywhere near our squad would mean spending 10 million plus. I think we all agree that by squad player (for us next season) inherently means not another wonderkid, but some more experience for tougher times. Like say the semi final and away at Forest.
Go for it. You will find your pre conceived idea doesn’t really tally with the facts. I was very much in the camp arguing that squad depth isn’t a problem and that but for a bit of bad luck in front of goal the other night we would have beaten Forest.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Naylor confirming we are after Milner, this paves the way for Jordan Henderson to join when his Liverpool contract expires in 2025 and Adam Lallana has taken over as manager.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It's interesting that we seem to be going very early with our transfer business this year. What with Pedro seemingly a done deal, Milner a real possibility and Alex Scott on the cards, I am assuming we are trying to give RdZ a good pre season to prepare the squad

I think we do need to think about the defence though. Assuming Colwill is off and Van Hecke also? But when (hopefully) Veltman signs a new contract Tony and RdZ will still have to work out who else we need in defence.
Surely, back up for Pervis is essential and another centre half?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's interesting that we seem to be going very early with our transfer business this year. What with Pedro seemingly a done deal, Milner a real possibility and Alex Scott on the cards, I am assuming we are trying to give RdZ a good pre season to prepare the squad

I think we do need to think about the defence though. Assuming Colwill is off and Van Hecke also? But when (hopefully) Veltman signs a new contract Tony and RdZ will still have to work out who else we need in defence.
It was mentioned on another thread that Van Hecke had said in the press that we were going to exercise the years option on his contract. I've not seen the report myself but I can't see us wanting to lose him when we know we need to get a Colwill replacement.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Some frankly ridiculous comments saying no thanks. Would hate to do a cross compare of those against anyone crying out for squad depth on the other thread.

Has he been worse this season? Probably, but so has their whole team. Has he been picked less, yes, but Klopp has realised he needs to transition to a younger team. Remember their target is to win everything and exist on a different level to us.

He covers multiple positions, is a model pro and he would be FREE.

To buy a squad player that is good enough to get anywhere near our squad would mean spending 10 million plus. I think we all agree that by squad player (for us next season) inherently means not another wonderkid, but some more experience for tougher times. Like say the semi final and away at Forest.
Squad depth great but having someone’s grandad sucking worthers originals at halftime isn’t that expiring 😬

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Players like Milner seem the obvious choice, given the number of very young potential stars at our club. Need more than one wise old head at the club to help develop younger players in the right way.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Talksport did quite a long piece on Milner to BHA early this morning, in addition to mentioning that we know our PL status is assured so are ahead of many clubs (of similar stature in the lower half of the table) in actioning transfer targets. All good.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
FjY1Ek.gif

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Go for it. You will find your pre conceived idea doesn’t really tally with the facts. I was very much in the camp arguing that squad depth isn’t a problem and that but for a bit of bad luck in front of goal the other night we would have beaten Forest.
Yes we had the better of the game against Forest but we were also clearly knackered. We were far more open than usual and they had good chances. I put that down to having virtually the same team as the semi against utd. Plus, being tired isn't just an ability to run and up and down in straight line. At what point do you say missing chances was because we were tired, or Dunk having a stinker, or not being able to manage the game as well as usual?

De Zerbi didn't change the team up because we don't have enough options, it's also why subs are generally later than earlier. The club must clearly feel the same by virtue of being linked with Milner who would be here to add squad depth. No one thinks he's coming here to start.

Last edited:

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Squad depth great but having someone’s grandad sucking worthers originals at halftime isn’t that expiring 😬
What's the harm in having him here for a year or two if he's up to the standard? Considering all positivity that comes with him. As I said before a squad player would cost a lot of money now that we've reached the heights that we're at. I'm sure the club would like to put that money into improving the starting XI.

I bet you he's still quicker than Gross, and by all accounts will beat anyone for fitness. Versatile, experienced, still excellent technically as he's never been blessed with pace and beating people.

I honestly don't get it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here