Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has the world of football been pranked by the Albion?

Now every club are sending their scouts to Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Croydon, Bolivia and Cambodia while we hoover up all the young upcoming talent on our doorstep.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Decent player at this peak, but we're not relegation fonder or pushing for promotion out of the Championship.

Unless they have thoughts beyond his playing career, superb leader

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No better role model for our younger players. Having him alongside Lallana (with both of them probably eyeing coaching roles with us) means our kids have two of the best mentors in the game - and we’ve got a lot of young players. Milner has the fitness levels of someone 10 years younger, immense experience and huge versatility - if the numbers work then he’s a great addition to what is a fairly thin squad if we’re in Europe in any way next season IMO.

Milner also speaks Spanish apparently……

Last edited:

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Some frankly ridiculous comments saying no thanks. Would hate to do a cross compare of those against anyone crying out for squad depth on the other thread.

Has he been worse this season? Probably, but so has their whole team. Has he been picked less, yes, but Klopp has realised he needs to transition to a younger team. Remember their target is to win everything and exist on a different level to us.

He covers multiple positions, is a model pro and he would be FREE.

To buy a squad player that is good enough to get anywhere near our squad would mean spending 10 million plus. I think we all agree that by squad player (for us next season) inherently means not another wonderkid, but some more experience for tougher times. Like say the semi final and away at Forest.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Several times this season we’ve said about game management, and seeing the match out. Signing Milner would be a huge step towards that, even if it’s just to help portray calmness for the last ten minutes, coupled with the experience and versatility, add in the fact wages possibly wouldn’t be the highest, I think it could be a very astute piece is business. The question should be, why would he want to uproot to the other end of the country just for a season? He’s obviously got a few options more local to him, so maybe it is about his post playing career as well.
Exactly this, don’t see him moving south when Leeds are apparently in for him.

Unless of course there’s coaching aspects on the horizon

Surely to move he’d want minutes, Liverpool have offered him another year I believe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Surely to move he’d want minutes, Liverpool have offered him another year I believe.
Except at this moment in time, Brighton, in every conceivable way, are superior to Leeds both on and off the pitch. The comparison is very unkind.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For everyone claiming that Milner is this season's Lallana or Welbeck, we signed Welbeck and Lallana in 2020 when they were 29 and 31 respectively. Milner is 37 ???

luge

Dec 18, 2010

Coaching, project and Lallana is going round telling everybody how amazing it is at Brighton.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The silly season has started early. Considered too slow for the current Liverpool midfield and certainly doesn’t have Lallana’s technical ability. I would have thought de Zerbi ball would be about the most unsuitable move he could make.
Next ?
For every Enciso or Buonanotte, I think we need a senior pro-role model.

Groß and Lallana are so valuable, Milner will be another. We need these experienced and savvy players mentoring our teenagers on the pitch, in the dressing room and at our superb elite trading facilities.

Milner is the quintessential ‘model pro’. He might not get much game time but he’ll make the team and squad better overall.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
A buit torn on this, he seems a great guy, definitely someone that the team could learn from and has the experience to help the team if we get Europe.

My main concern isn’t as much his age it’s more that the past season or two he’s looked to be slowing down a bit and starting to feel it. If he’s like that at Liverpool, I am not sure how he’d cope with the RDZ 100mph style.

If we want him here as a coach and mentor type, then hire him as one? Does he need to be here as a player for that?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Model pro, has played at the top levels, great personality for the kids to look to, a good depth option with a wealth of experience.

Fine by me

And he's a serial winner, he's won the Premier League, Champions League and the League and FA cups too.

Lallana may move to a coaching role next season for all we know, so I think it's good to have 2 or 3 former elite pro/serial winners in the squad for the young players to look up too and also bring them down a peg or two if need be. Welbeck and Lallana fit that role perfectly, so too would Milner (along with their on the pitch class).

Hasn't Miler been playing right back at times too? So along with speaking Spanish he's a versatile player. As long as we're not breaking the pay structure it's a decent deal imo.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Except at this moment in time, Brighton, in every conceivable way, are superior to Leeds both on and off the pitch. The comparison is very unkind.
Given a straight choice between Brighton and Leeds Milner would chose Leeds. It’s his final move and he’s always talked about finishing his career at his boyhood club.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He lives in Cheshire and has done for some time so can’t see him wanting to up sticks and move here.
Famous for the fitness and professionalism.
Also a ‘great guy, no?’ ... wife holds an annual charity bash in Manchester which has probably raised millions over the years.
Has looked after his own money very well too by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here