Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
“He's actually still useful for us off the bench to see games out would be a good experienced pick up for a season.”

“Would prefer to keep him tbh. Impossible to replace his experience and professionalism.”

“Milner's an incredible professional & still a standard setter. Also still got enough about him to be useful to see out games or even as emergency type cover, we've just relied on him too much at times at this stage of his career. I wouldn't be averse to keeping him on at all.

If he does decide to leave I'd wish him all the best, he's been nothing short of a fantastic servant for us. I'm sure he'd be an invaluable experienced presence in any young squad looking to progress on, so Brighton would seem an ideal fit.”

“Yeah absolutely, should never be starting games for us, but massively useful off the bench in numerus positions, especially if we're being bullied, you can rely on Milly to come on the pitch and give some ****er a sly kick or ten. As you say, been a tremendous servant to the club. Still as fit as anyone in the squad.”

All taken from Liverpool fans here: https://www.footballforums.net/threads/next-transfer-window.275170/page-1139#post-9904615

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not one I'd be clamouring for but if the recruitment team see value in him it's difficult to argue against.

We're going to have to sign some really young players to balance out the squad age. One Milner = An Enciso and a Buonanotte.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
He’s a player I’ve always admired. Seems to have kept his feet on the ground, never gives less than 100%. Also loves cricket so that can’t be bad.

there are questions about his ability at this age but if he wants to move into coaching, I can see the attraction for both us and him. We’ve seen the benefit of having good older pros In the squad

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Would’ve preferred the Ox, but wages would’ve been too high but good alternative. Experienced Pro, good roll model for the youngsters, right balance of old and new. What’s not to like about this.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
A midfielder/full back hybrid would suit us well and we definitely need depth there. 37 feels very different to a 32 year old but I mean if he’s coming in to play regularly but as cover then sure. I’d still rather drop 30M on Alex Scott and do no other business though and have him for years plus sell on value.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
He's so versatile. It'd be like signing backup players for 6 or 7 different on-pitch positions. Having him on the bench means we have someone to bring on if any of our LB, RB, LW, RW, or CM players get injured or tired (and those are just the positions I can remember him playing in, I'm sure I'm forgetting some).

We've all seen how much Lallana's wise old head adds to the team when he's fit. Milner would add the same. I'm guessing part of this involves hoping that both aren't injured at the same time too frequently.

And last, but definitely not least, he'd be a great role model for our young wonderkids. As with Lallana, he's won it all at club level, he's had his hands on the trophies our kids dream of lifting. And he's done so without ever being a petulant prima donna at any stage of his career. Our young players need to see that and be around that.

For those reasons, I'm IN.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
As others have said, cracking signing if it pays off. A versatile back up player that can come on and help calm a game down and also be a terrific role model to the younger lads coming through. Absolutely a place for him at the club.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No thanks. Come on, he’s 37 for god’s sake. This is the PL, not an episode from Scully.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like this is a Lallana type signing for the European age. Valuable experience and the odd cameo. Why not?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I remember watching a YouTube piece by Liverpool about preseason must have been 2 seasons ago. They all had to test their fitness. Klopp was asked who’d he think will be the fittest first day back? Without hesitation Milner.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Remember seeing his debut against us for Swindon,had a great game.

I've been thinking we may sign Milner for a while now, I think he'd be a decent addition, plenty of experience and would be a good option off the bench with injuries or if we're trying to see a game out.

It's a yes from me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No thanks. Come on, he’s 37 for god’s sake. This is the PL, not an episode from Scully.
What is this a resting home for Liverpools old and crocked players by the sea 🤔 Lallana is a quality player for the five games a season, Milner isn’t in the same league quality wise can’t see what he will bring tbh apart from a pal for Adam.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Several times this season we’ve said about game management, and seeing the match out. Signing Milner would be a huge step towards that, even if it’s just to help portray calmness for the last ten minutes, coupled with the experience and versatility, add in the fact wages possibly wouldn’t be the highest, I think it could be a very astute piece is business. The question should be, why would he want to uproot to the other end of the country just for a season? He’s obviously got a few options more local to him, so maybe it is about his post playing career as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here