Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV offends with coloured remark

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Is it really that much of an imposition on you to be referred to as "chav"? Does it REALLY impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we?
In your eagerness to display your right on credentials you've overlooked the fact that "chav " is a derogatory term, and exclusively used as such, " coloured " isnt, its nit picking at best to complain about it, i could understand if the terms used were rude or derogatory , but they aren't, and you and people like you get laughed at by blacks , who cannot understand your eagerness to rush to their defence over meaningless causes.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In your eagerness to display your right on credentials you've overlooked the fact that "chav " is a derogatory term, and exclusively used as such, " coloured " isnt, its nit picking at best to complain about it.

I think this is the crux of the argument here Bushy. It think that it is a derogotory term when used to describe black people.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This entire argument aside: is it really that much of an imposition on you to not use the term "coloured"? Would it REALLY be such an effort, or impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we? I have no idea why people seem to be getting so wound up by someone simply saying "we'd rather you didn't use that word". Don't use it. Simple.

But who is saying "we'd rather you didn't use that word?" Is it black people or is it white people saying it in some misguided attempt not to offend anyone.

I've never ever heard that used in a derogatory way, in fact the only time I've heard people say coloured it's because they're shitting it about what words they're allowed to use to describe black or asian people and that seems like the least offensive.

In this day and age where casual racism has been largely eradicated in this country we need to stop focussing on single words, and put the entire emphasis on intent. Words like coloured might have been derogatory in the 70s but they're not anymore, so it's time for everyone to stop getting their knickers in a twist if there was no intent to offend.

That is far far better than trying to telepathically maintain a list of what we should and shouldn't use.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I've just read an article where ITV producers have been reprimanded for using the term coloured to describe football players and coaches. The news item concerned racism in football and how it has changed but stated even now there are only three coloured managers in the game. Excuse me for being thick but what is the acceptable description of someone who isn't white.

The worlds gone f***ing mad,what should we say Fuzzy wuzzies?ffs

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
But who is saying "we'd rather you didn't use that word?" Is it black people or is it white people saying it in some misguided attempt not to offend anyone.

I've never ever heard that used in a derogatory way, in fact the only time I've heard people say coloured it's because they're shitting it about what words they're allowed to use to describe black or asian people and that seems like the least offensive.

In this day and age where casual racism has been largely eradicated in this country we need to stop focussing on single words, and put the entire emphasis on intent. Words like coloured might have been derogatory in the 70s but they're not anymore, so it's time for everyone to stop getting their knickers in a twist if there was no intent to offend.

That is far far better than trying to telepathically maintain a list of what we should and shouldn't use.

It wasn't derogatory in the 70s because that was common parlance then. It is seen as condescending now. Queer was the usual term for homosexuals in the 70s but it isn't seen as acceptable now. Language moves on you see.

It isn't difficult to ask others to try and pay attention to current sensitivity...or maybe it is. In fact it clearly is.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Both, I think. I remember a conversation a few years ago at Brighton Youth Centre, when someone used the term 'coloured people' and my friend, the black guy he was talking to, made it clear he didn't consider it the term he wished to be called. He said something along the lines of, 'What's this? The 1970s?'

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's interesting the tactics being used here. First, it's made out that it's just black people being 'over-sensitive' for not wanting to be called 'coloured' any more. When that doesn't work on this thread, it's made out that black people don't care what they are called, and it's presented as just guilty white people getting over-sensitive and taking offence on other people's behalf.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
It's interesting the tactics being used here. First, it's made out that it's just black people being 'over-sensitive' for not wanting to be called 'coloured' any more. When that doesn't work on this thread, it's made out that black people don't care what they are called, and it's presented as just guilty white people getting over-sensitive and taking offence on other people's behalf.

Exactly. I am not a liberal or bleeding heart but white people saying "you are coloured"to anyone who isn't white is f***ing stupid. There is a right and wrong argument here and, it doesn't happen often believe me, I am right.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We need some coloureds to come on here and tell us what THEY think.
It's going to be far to hot in the fields today.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In your eagerness to display your right on credentials you've overlooked the fact that "chav " is a derogatory term, and exclusively used as such, " coloured " isnt, its nit picking at best to complain about it, i could understand if the terms used were rude or derogatory , but they aren't, and you and people like you get laughed at by blacks , who cannot understand your eagerness to rush to their defence over meaningless causes.

Not quite. Chav is not exclusively an insult. You may only see it as offensive, but there are plenty of people who see it as a compliment, people who see it as an accurate way of describing them, people who view it as something to be proud of, there are some people who simply use it to describe a culture more than as an insult. Some people use it without realising there are people like you who find it offensive, because they don't mean it with any offence.

Just like 'coloured'.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Difference.... black people are called black,would you call a half caste black?...might be offended if you did....so they're not black....they're not white...what is wrong with calling them coloured....jeez half the white folks top up suntans when ever possible...we are all human under the skin...if I wanted to insult anyone I'd use swear words...some people are so...'Look at me....I'm so PC.'

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Difference.... black people are called black,would you call a half caste black?...might be offended if you did....so they're not black....they're not white...what is wrong with calling them coloured....jeez half the white folks top up suntans when ever possible...we are all human under the skin...if I wanted to insult anyone I'd use swear words...some people are so...'Look at me....I'm so PC.'

A half caste? Are you shitting me?

If you think calling black people coloured is great I definitely think you should walk up to the next mixed race person you see and call them a half caste....go on..I double dare you.

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
I think everyone just needs to calm down. To many people getting uptight about words,I could understand if for instance someone in a white hood running around with a banana is called racist, but they are just words that unfortunately are surronded by controversy,

Black,coloured,half cast who bloody cares, we are all humans at the end of te day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think everyone just needs to calm down. To many people getting uptight about words,I could understand if for instance someone in a white hood running around with a banana is called racist, but they are just words that unfortunately are surronded by controversy,

Black,coloured,half cast who bloody cares, we are all humans at the end of te day.

I don't think anyone needs to calm down. We're just having a reasoned discussion, teasing out the different meanings that people associate with words. It is clear that for some people, some terms (such as 'coloured') are neutral, descriptive terms whereas for others, the same terms are ones that carry negative meanings, and they don't wish those terms to be applied to them, even if no malice is meant.

That we are all humans at the end of the day is not in dispute.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Just so we are all clear. The term "half caste" dates back to the Raj where the British army interbred with Hindu women and produced offspring who were neither British nor Indian. These kids were not part of the Hindu caste system and were certainly not acceptable to the Brits as equals. The British ended up classifying them as a sort of Eurasian subspecies and gave them jobs as junior civil servants who (when the Raj ended) were thrown out of their jobs and viewed with a mixture of contempt by the Hindus and Muslims and indifference by the departing Britsh.

There are many of them still in India today where they cling to their European heritage with a pitiful loyalty and hark back to the good old days when the English sahibs protected them and gave them jobs as sort of middle managers...higher than the wogs but lower than the whites...so, I say again, it may have been ok to use this term in the past but surely there are better ways to address each other now?

It doesn't take much to stop using lazy terms for people. In this case I imagine that most people of mixed race do not necessarily know where the terminology comes from, but if they do they will certainly object to its connotations. I would. Wouldn't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here