Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

its going to be one hell of a tough season

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pompey are BROKE and look like letting even more players go. I tip them to go DOWN.

Agreed. If they suddenly start flashing the cash, some SERIOUS questions will need to be asked.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Poyet knows he needs to strengthen the squad and has already stated that he wants six new players.

I,m sure we will not be fighting relegation, lower mid will be realistic.

Don't understand all the fuss regarding Murray, he was offered a contract that Gus thought he was worth and chose to go else where. We have allready signed one new forward and I'm sure more will follow. If we were realy desperate to hang on to him I'm sure the club would have pulled out all the stops, they did'nt and that should be a clue on what we have to come.

We are not at Withdean any more with a very small budget and nothing to actract players to us, better players than Murray will be signed moving forwards. I have no worries about next season as I'm confident the players that Gus and Tony bring in will be of a high standard and fit with the way Gus wants his side to play.

Brighton as a club is now bigger than the likes of league 1 Murray etc

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Its always a tough league, but Millwall, Leeds, and Norwich all proved that a decent team coming up can give a goo bd account. With the 4 or 5 players we are planning to bring in and our style of play I think we have more than enough to stay up.

How many players did Norwich add to their squad to achieve back-to-back promotions? If we can add some good players, who knows what we can do in the Championship next season. Gus managed to get us playing a different, far superior, style in a short space of time. Hopefully he can adapt his tactics again, and you just never know :thumbsup:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Let's look at norwich this season, they went up last season, made a few astute signing without breaking the bank and went up quite easily. Yes its going to be harder, but if norwich can do it am sure we will give it a bloody good go, especially as we will have a packed out atmospheric stadium behind us for the first time for years !

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Teams I don't believe we will better:
Birmingham City, Blackpool, West Ham, Swansea City or Reading, Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Leicester City

Teams I believe we can equal or better:
Burnley, Millwall, Hull City, Middlesbrough, Ipswich Town, Watford, Bristol City, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Coventry City, Derby County, Crystal Palace, Southampton

Teams I believe we should better:
Doncaster Rovers, Huddersfield or Peterborough

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
This...

I was going to post something this morning along these lines, but didn't want to be accused of being overly pessimistic. I do believe that we'll be ok but...

1) Will TB break the alleged wage structure for the right player/s?
2) Will we compete with the other big/bigger clubs in the Championship, financially? not confident personally!

Also...

Can the twats that are visiting other clubs forum sites please stop giving it the bigun. We have achieved so much this season (beyond most expectations) and now some of our fans seem to think we'll be competing against the likes of Barca and Real Madrid in a couple of years ffs.

I don't believe that TB will accept us being a mediocre 2nd tier club after all the money he has put in, but I also think we all have to be a bit more realistic and humble with our achievements. Why do some supporters think that we are a big club? We are not and never have been!!!!!We are a small unfashionable club from a fashionable town/city with a fabulous new stadium and hopefully good prospects, thanks to TB's dosh and a fantastic management set-up! But that does not make us world beaters.

I for 1 hope that we can consolidate a healthy position in the 2nd tier of English football for a while and move on up if merit deserves.

Optimistic, maybe
Pessimistic, possibly
A massive fan, forever
Realistic, definatley

Rant over
Regards to all proper realistic fans

Totally agree with every word you say here. We need to be realistic. And yes it is getting a bit embarrasing with people giving it the bigun.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I think the primary objective of Brighton next season is to come out higher than both Pompey or Southampton,

the fact that these two are both rivals in terms of the fact we are all south coast clubs and because we are all now in the championship, will mean that there will indefinitely be a battle for supremacy of the south coast. A battle I would like us very much to win, no offence or hints at bigotry to both the very talented Southampton and Portsmouth, but the fact that both of you have been riding at the top while Brighton had to play by the rules and go down for it, I think its high time that Brighton restored to its former glory.

So I hope it will be this throughout this next season, in hopes of promotion next season.

1. Maintain a strong position on the table, at least higher than both south coast rivalries
2. Build up a potentially very talented fresh team that can help promote Brighton and keep a good standing in the premiership
3. Look at current financial standing and try to keep our advantage of having a relatively stable, though admittedly somewhat modest budget, and hope to boost it
4. eventually, even if we do not get promoted, build up stadium capacity, this will contribute to step 3.
5. Monitor potential rivals, see who the main takers for the champions spot will be and if we are still in the championship next season, keep a close eye on teams that are getting relegated to the Championship and rival teams that are either promoted from league 1 or failed to get promoted in the championship
6. When all this is done, make a big challenge for spot no. uno!
7. Beat palace at any given chance. Preferably in a match where they must win to maintain a place in the championship.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Teams I don't believe we will better:
Birmingham City, Blackpool, West Ham, Swansea City or Reading, Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Leicester City

Teams I believe we can equal or better:
Burnley, Millwall, Hull City, Middlesbrough, Ipswich Town, Watford, Bristol City, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Coventry City, Derby County, Crystal Palace, Southampton

Teams I believe we should better:
Doncaster Rovers, Huddersfield or Peterborough

And how many of those teams have been playing at a run down athletics track, had their home taken away from them and are now entering a new era with a sold out state of the art new stadium ?

This...

I was going to post something this morning along these lines, but didn't want to be accused of being overly pessimistic. I do believe that we'll be ok but...

1) Will TB break the alleged wage structure for the right player/s?
2) Will we compete with the other big/bigger clubs in the Championship, financially? not confident personally!

Also...

Can the twats that are visiting other clubs forum sites please stop giving it the bigun. We have achieved so much this season (beyond most expectations) and now some of our fans seem to think we'll be competing against the likes of Barca and Real Madrid in a couple of years ffs.

I don't believe that TB will accept us being a mediocre 2nd tier club after all the money he has put in, but I also think we all have to be a bit more realistic and humble with our achievements. Why do some supporters think that we are a big club? We are not and never have been!!!!!We are a small unfashionable club from a fashionable town/city with a fabulous new stadium and hopefully good prospects, thanks to TB's dosh and a fantastic management set-up! But that does not make us world beaters.

I for 1 hope that we can consolidate a healthy position in the 2nd tier of English football for a while and move on up if merit deserves.

Optimistic, maybe
Pessimistic, possibly
A massive fan, forever
Realistic, definatley

Rant over
Regards to all proper realistic fans

Couldn't agree more - though if I was being a little pedantic, your spelling of definatley should be definitely!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
And how many of those teams have been playing at a run down athletics track, had their home taken away from them and are now entering a new era with a sold out state of the art new stadium ?

I don't believe that is at all relevant. If we're going to talk about the football - which is ultimately what this conversation is about - explain to me why we should expect to automatically achieve more than well established Championship/top-flight clubs?

Some people really need to get a grip on reality about Falmer. It's a nice ground which brings us back onto a par with many of the clubs we hope to compete with. It is not a Norman Foster inspired redesign of the Nou Camp however (n.b IF this happened, this would be 'state of the art').

Foster + Partners

Last edited:

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Will definitely be very tough. Having watched the four teams in the Championship play-offs, we don't have (m)any players who would get in any of those teams.

Should be exciting :)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It seems that there are a few sensible, realistic fans online at the moment!

Does that mean that all the kids are at Sunday school???

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Last time in the league was about 94/95. They PACKED out the east terrace at the Goldstone and made a lot of noise. I think we played them in the league cup in 96?

Drew 3-3 at their place in one of the best Albion games I've seen. Stuart Munday scored an overhead kick.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
My Watford chum who has watched us a few times this season (& a Watford season ticket holder - reckons 16th-19th).
Coming from a Watford team who we ran rings round with our passing football in the 4th round of the FA Cup and comfortably beat them?

I reckon we could easily finish around 10th-14th place. Like other posters have mentioned, I'd just like us to stay in the Championship for a while and cement ourselves as a solid second tier football club.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Seems that some people think that we will be challenging and others grubbing around at the bottom worring about who is going to leave. The reality I think is somewhere in between and with the infrastructure being planned along with a strong scouting network should see us establish ourselves as a solid championship side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here