Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its all starting to go horribly wrong for Reading !.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Bear in mind that Schalke (Gelsenkirchen) is smaller than both Reading and Brighton.

I've been following you wilts and you keep saying about Reading & Brighton being small but you never mention Palarse, Why is that ? Do you think they are a massive club ? They arn't any bigger than us!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Lucky_Boy_Farang said:
I've been following you wilts and you keep saying about Reading & Brighton being small but you never mention Palarse, Why is that ? Do you think they are a massive club ? They arn't any bigger than us!

think we might just be a bit larger than brighton home gates have been a little bigger?

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
My mistake, but I think the stats prove that Brighton are on a par support wise with the likes of Palace, Portsmouth and Charlton when doing well. All of these clubs have had terrible attendances in the past but really pull them when successful. Reading FC never have and never will be on a par with any of the above, they always remind me of Swindon or Peterborough, dull zzzzzzz

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
burrish gull said:
My mistake, but I think the stats prove that Brighton are on a par support wise with the likes of Palace, Portsmouth and Charlton when doing well. All of these clubs have had terrible attendances in the past but really pull them when successful. Reading FC never have and never will be on a par with any of the above, they always remind me of Swindon or Peterborough, dull zzzzzzz

fair point bg ,how the teams is doing makes a big differance on att

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Even Newcastle when they got relegated to div 2 in 1991 only got an average of 16,000 and they are supposed to be massive. My argument over the 'my clubs bigger than yours' thing always rests on whether you've ever had top flight footy, average crowds of over 20,000 at some point and at the very least a Cup final appearance. Albion, Palace, Pompey and Charlton all fit this bill, the only trouble is Albion can't match them at the moment, we will when we get Falmer and the playing field is level again.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
burrish gull said:
Even Newcastle when they got relegated to div 2 in 1991 only got an average of 16,000 and they are supposed to be massive. My argument over the 'my clubs bigger than yours' thing always rests on whether you've ever had top flight footy, average crowds of over 20,000 at some point and at the very least a Cup final appearance. Albion, Palace, Pompey and Charlton all fit this bill, the only trouble is Albion can't match them at the moment, we will when we get Falmer and the playing field is level again.

they will at first because of the new stadium, but the numbers will soon begin to drop off if the players on the pitch don't do the biz and the fans are paying big money to finance falmer?

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
True because when Falmer is built it is going to generate huge interest in Sussex because there simply won't be a stadium like it for miles. I even think at the moment we would be getting 12,000 to 13,000 if we had the ground. Falmer is going to encourage a whole new generation of support for the club, the area has been crying out for this for years. If Dick Knight gets it right the potential is massive because the catchment area is huge and the floating support is even bigger.

Albion Rob

El Presidente said:
Not so sure LBF

1990/91 with Albion in a play off position in the old second division, two home games to go, chance of going up to the Premiership, late April, and the team run out to a crowd of ...........7,738 v Bristol City :ohmy:

Just to drag this up, I think this was also about the time when Newcastle were getting crowds of around 8,000 for home games, and look at them now.

It was a time when football still had a serious hooligan tag and we had a rubbish ground that, at the time, we weren't all that proud of.

Oh hindsight...

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Ali

It's good to see your "we need away seats" response to the Falmer question. Shows your faith in our ability to get promoted cos I am sure that you're not suggesting that URs will be coming down - are you?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
i went to see Chelsea in 85 in div 1 against leicester and there was about 10,000 there.they got crap crowds then but look what they get now their grounds done.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Always makes me laugh when Reading zzzzzzz... fans bang on about crowds in the 1930's like it's really recent!! The facts are that even with their shiny new stadium they have NEVER averaged more than 20,000 in ANY season since the end of the 2nd world war. They are the Swindon and Peterborough of the 1st Division, small potatoes in the big scheme of things nobody really cares about them which is why so many of their lot post on NSC.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
El Presidente said:
I am sitting here with my copy of 'Seagulls' and the last three home games in 1990/91, when we were within a gnat's bollock of going up to the Prem, were as follows

Oxford United 8,118
Bristol City 7,738
Ipswich 12,281. (Biggest crowd of the season!!!)

We needed to win this final game to cement our play off place. Two minutes left and the score is 1-1. John Byrne is brought down outside the box. The crowd go strangely quiet as Dean 'Wendy' Wilkins floats a 22 yarder into the far corner, and then we go nuts.

Big crowds and the Albion are a bit of a myth. In the good years we have excellent support, but there is a huge fairweather element at the Albion historically. It's down to your generation to stop this trend!
Actually millwall was the biggest in the playoffs 16k.:smokin:
Yes that was anawful season at the crumbling goldstone,but lets not judge anything on that season as the club was on a downward spiral through-out the 90s in which is stated very clear on our attendances.

Yes reading only get big crowds with a big away following in which brings out there part time support.

I don't care what anyone says as i no this club with a new stadium will be booming with big crowds and it won't be big enough trust me.

Remember and look at the whole 90s it was terrible all the way and certainly not a pointer of our ambition.

Can you honestly see us getting 11k-12k in a new stadium up the top half of the 1st division absolutley no chance.
Lets not forget the huge demand last season at the withdean in which ticket applications reached huge numbers of 20-30k and thats a fact and that was at the withdean for christs sake.

Although a skint chairman the club is on the brink of huge potential for sure.:drink: :drink:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
to really see the Reading fans in full voice, you need to catch us when we're away from home

Not the Reading home fans then you were apparently cheering Preston passes towards the end of the cup game then.

Now that's support.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Spot on Berkshire, Reading won't touch us when we get Falmer. You can totally disregard the whole of the 90's because the club was in a terminal decline. I even go as far to say the turning point for the club was losing the 83 cup final and getting relegated the same season.
Apart from the promotion in 1988 and a couple of FA cup runs the club was dying because it was run appallingly. The last time the club got it right was when Mike Bamber was in charge, he like Dick Knight was Albion through and through. I have total faith in this man to bring the good times back again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I SAID....

Not the Reading home fans then you were apparently cheering Preston passes towards the end of the cup game then.

Now that's support.

I'd rather have 7000 behind the team than that.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Take away the dreaded 90s we have had massive support!
Anyone no readings biggest averages mmmmm:lolol:

Every time i got the evening post before the brighton game they state the div 2 game where 32k at the goldstone see us beat reading 2-0.:)

Also in the late 70s we was huge and was stated that every club got there biggest crowds against us etc.
Even though our crowds have been disasterous for 14+ years due to many probs we still are 4k higher than reading on average.???

Reading averaged 9-10k at elm park in the 90s once and that was there biggest average for many many many years.

Personally i have never checked there stats on average crowds but shall try and find them somewhere.:rolleyes:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I have a programme here which also states league cup 1st round 1st leg v oldham 22k wow how about that then and its the old 2nd division season.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here