Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its all starting to go horribly wrong for Reading !.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Guinness Boy said:

I don't know what you're on about with the rest of it. We hardly ever got 30k plus at the Goldstone. I can remember clearly gettting 33,000 against Blackpool in 78 when those Spurs and Scummers stiched us up for a place in the third. We had 26,000 against Arsenal in the Cup in 88 though they brought about 6,000.

Exactly. As a wee bairn, I can remember standing on the East Terrace for the visit of Nottingham Forest (no small draw in those daze) in the top flite circa 1980/1 and thinking how much room there was to move around on the terrace. Far too many 18,000 crowds when we were in the top div, although you could argue that hooliganism was in it's prime at the time. As for the Arse, they may have bought about 6,000, but there was prob a good few thousand more 'Sussex Reds' in the crowd, on their first visit to the Goldstone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RoyalAli said:
No, it took 1 page for you to take delight in the downfall of Reading
and another 8 for you to try and convince me you are a bigger club than Reading.

keep typing, I'm still listening :lolol:

Mr Pendant says how can you listen to typing? :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Since you're reading and not listening now....

In my posts, if you read them, I never once said we are currently bigger.

You ponced Sidwell and Steve **** off us. You have a bigger ground. You are in the first division. We play at an athletics stadium.

What we have IMHO is better potential. You can no more prove that than the existance of aliens. It's why some venture capatalists retire to Bermuda at age 30 and others are currently asking "do you want fries with that".

But if we get Falmer come back in 5 years time and we'll see where we both are...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Ali... good skills flying the flag for the South East's premier football club matey. Just don't post too much or you'll end up with more than me! :lolol:

Good fun in this post, but you'll never convince us to be rivals with Brighton. Nobody gives an arse on our side. Only bit that was bemusing was the "new town" bit. A place the size of Reading with all its history isn't even touched by the likes of Brighton! Everything in Brighton (for all its amazing clubs and quality nightlife) has to be new and "different", whereas Reading has history. Not a gripe against Brighton, being as I love the place.

P.S. 1.8m people living in Sussex?!? Is that it? We've about 4 million people living within 30 mins of the Madejski, and then there's a place just down the road with 8 million people in it (innit). We have very fairweather supporters but the potential is definitely there in the top flight. We could do 30,000+ no probs as our record in recent years shows. It just takes a hell of a lot to get our fans excited!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Wilts said:
Ali... good skills flying the flag for the South East's premier football club matey. Just don't post too much or you'll end up with more than me! :lolol:

Good fun in this post, but you'll never convince us to be rivals with Brighton. Nobody gives an arse on our side. Only bit that was bemusing was the "new town" bit. A place the size of Reading with all its history isn't even touched by the likes of Brighton! Everything in Brighton (for all its amazing clubs and quality nightlife) has to be new and "different", whereas Reading has history. Not a gripe against Brighton, being as I love the place.

P.S. 1.8m people living in Sussex?!? Is that it? We've about 4 million people living within 30 mins of the Madejski, and then there's a place just down the road with 8 million people in it (innit). We have very fairweather supporters but the potential is definitely there in the top flight. We could do 30,000+ no probs as our record in recent years shows. It just takes a hell of a lot to get our fans excited!!

Right now you're having a f***ing tin bath. How many protected or listed Regency buildings are there in Reading?

Perhaps we should start preserving Whitely or those quaint Army housing estates to the West as "historical" :lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Wilts said:

Yeah and we have london aswell wilts which is 30 mins away,but we don't have our club surrounded by other clubs.:p

Personally i can't see whats wrong with places turning modern as its just WELL the future and i find reading a tidy plave although a pathetic night life.:D

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Guinness Boy said:
Berks mate - I was sort of making the same point you were - that by potential we are bigger than Reading but we have to get in to the Prem to realise that potential. I reckon the glory hunters are the difference between 15000 and over subscribed at Falmer. The same glory hunters applied for Mansfield tickets but were f*** all to be seen later in the season.

I don't know what you're on about with the rest of it. We hardly ever got 30k plus at the Goldstone. I can remember clearly gettting 33,000 against Blackpool in 78 when those Spurs and Scummers stiched us up for a place in the third. We had 26,000 against Arsenal in the Cup in 88 though they brought about 6,000.

Falmer's plans should (and I think do) allow for extension. But to suggest we build bigger on the off chance we become top ten Prem material on the opening is the sort of business logic that gets teams bust. You don't start an airline with Concorde and a couple of 747s, you start it with small local routes and build up.

Have no doubt. The Albion has potential. We are potentially a bigger club than Reading. Falmer will help. But we can hardly give it the large one on crowds of 6000 in an athletics stadium. The transition will be tough but, like you, I think once made we have to think big. Let's not run before we can crawl though eh?
Have to disagree as we certainly don't need the premiership to show our potential!
How do we show our potential then with a 23k capacity enlighten me???
Sorry bud,but potential does not come from getting into the premiership it comes from a club with a great fan base and a new stadium etc.:drink:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Guinness Boy said:
Right now you're having a f***ing tin bath. How many protected or listed Regency buildings are there in Reading?

Perhaps we should start preserving Whitely or those quaint Army housing estates to the West as "historical" :lolol:

Statues on the Miawand Lion in Forbury Gardens and of Queen Victoria in Friar Street.

Got any Kings and Queens buried in Brighton?
Got anything that looks as good as the Royal Berks Hospital?
Got the biggest cathedral in the UK described as possibly the finest piece of architecture of its time (until it was burnt down by Henry VIII)? :p

Hundreds of listed buildings eyethankewe.

Berks, you and I know all too well about the crap nightlife! You remember my letter in the paper! :lolol:

Wilts said:
Statues on the Miawand Lion in Forbury Gardens and of Queen Victoria in Friar Street.

Got any Kings and Queens buried in Brighton?
Got anything that looks as good as the Royal Berks Hospital?
Got the biggest cathedral in the UK described as possibly the finest piece of architecture of its time (until it was burnt down by Henry VIII)? :p

Hundreds of listed buildings eyethankewe.

Berks, you and I know all too well about the crap nightlife! You remember my letter in the paper! :lolol:

Three words.

The Royal Pavilion.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
I think you'll find it had it's name long before Reading FC!

There are hundreds of listed buildings in and around Brighton. I can't be arsed to start listing them. The fact is that Brighton has a better mix of culture, history and modernisation than Reading will ever have.

Brighton has pretty much no history, but that's probably one of the only bad points. Also, "culture"? In what way!??! Reading has millions of different nationalities and races unless you mean "culture" in the way that there's gay pride festivals and stuff like that. A beach full of pebbles and some hotels. Basically Blackpool, which again isn't a bad thing.

To be honest (and not intented to sound condescending) its a nice small place on the coast with a good conurbation around it, not rough and generally friendly for meeting people. Places like Littlehampton, Hove, Shoreham etc are far better looking places than the likes of Bracknell which we have to put up with.

In a nutshell, Brighton is friendlier and doesn't look like a shithole, which unfortunately Reading does in parts. But don't start me on history! ;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Having said all this Reading beat Forest today.

Is the ship starting to steady?

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Yorkie said:
Having said all this Reading beat Forest today.

Is the ship starting to steady?

Hope so, thought I'm not getting carried away because Forest are absolutely awful at the moment! Though that's a good sign, because we usually lose to bad teams so any sign of us changing that around is good.

Still can't believe we're as high up as we are. Nearly back in the playoffs now! Hopefully we'll do a Wolves, because they were about 8th this time last year and eventually got up to the Prem. Time will tell...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here