Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

its a joke the club have not brought in any strikers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may have started looking at that point but more reasonably, at that stage, we still had 3 strikers available. Would we have qualified for an emergency loan? When does the loan window close?

You've misunderstood the term 'emergency loan'.

They are badly named, because you do not have to be in an emergency situation to take one out.

They were termed emergency loans to sell the concept to UEFA when transfer windows were introduced. UEFA then realised this, and have since made them illegal from 2014.

An emergency loan is just a short term 93 day loan which is available to Football League and Blue Square teams during a certain loan window.

Nothing to do with emergencies.

There is another rare sort of emergency loan which is for true emergencies, requires FL permission, and has nothing to do with this loan window.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
on the other hand they might fail to bring in a striker and that he would have to be a striker who can score goals, they might also think to bring one of the DS squad in and just squeak into the play-offs and we might by then have a refreshed grown-up Barnes back to get us through the finals

just a thought

DS striker would be a HUGE ask at this stage of the season with so much at stake. An experienced head is what is required.

As for Barnes. If I were in charge, he would be shown the door.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
DS striker would be a HUGE ask at this stage of the season with so much at stake. An experienced head is what is required.

As for Barnes. If I were in charge, he would be shown the door.

Why didn't we get rid of Tanno who swore at a ref, or Greer who also got a couple of red cards? We got rid of Sparrow & Vincelot because they were League 1 standard not because of their red cards.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why didn't we get rid of Tanno who swore at a ref, or Greer who also got a couple of red cards? We got rid of Sparrow & Vincelot because they were League 1 standard not because of their red cards.

I see your point, but Barnes clearly has an attitude problem, no self-control. He KNEW we were short of strikers, he had been red-carded in his previous start. Ash just NEVER learns. He is a disgrace IMHO. P45 for him.

Feb 3, 2013
i like this a lot, i can imagine they would be a good partnership, like ulloa and cms but jackson is way more talented than cms, better touch, better technique and has scored a few in the prem.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
has anyone actually seen or heard what barnes did to get sent off? highlights just show him looking aghast (not that that is proof of anything) that he was being sent off.

i just think showing him the door without knowing what he did is a bit harsh. he was fighting hard to save the game for us.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It had better be a Premiership player if the negotiating terms Gus alluded to in the Argus are correct. Guaranteed starting place in the team = Massive Ego. I wonder who we're talking to?

Kenwyne Jones really played 21 league games this season? Surely not had him down as a maybe :/

I heard a rumour of a Villa player and assumed someone had made it up. Delfounesco (already at Blackpool) else Weimean who's had like 25 appearances. SURELY not Darren Bent!!! Is he mates with Bridge or Upson particularly?? They need every player then can to avoid relegation!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
has anyone actually seen or heard what barnes did to get sent off? highlights just show him looking aghast (not that that is proof of anything) that he was being sent off.

i just think showing him the door without knowing what he did is a bit harsh. he was fighting hard to save the game for us.

I am going to assume you are not on a fishing trip.

He tripped or attempted to trip the ref with just a few seconds left, hardly fighting hard to save the game. Infact his childish petulance has made our quest for a playoff place even harder.

Ashley Barnes referee trip red card | Mail Online shows the video footage taken by a fan in the stand and some poor quality stills taken from the video, but you can still clearly see Barnes attempting to trip the ref.

I like Barnes I think he offers enough to our squad to warrant a place in the match day 16 but I feel this may be the final straw for him as far as Gus is concerned and he'll be shipping him out in the summer.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I like Barnes I think he offers enough to our squad to warrant a place in the match day 16 but I feel this may be the final straw for him as far as Gus is concerned and he'll be shipping him out in the summer.

I think Barnes will stay. I also think that the club will try and mitigate the potential elongated FA ban by promising to send Barnes on some kind of anger management programme.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
I really don't think that many quality strikers like our style of play, which is why we struggle to get anyone decent in, despite fantastic crowds and a great stadium. Strikers will always be a problem for Gus I fear, his track record with them is not good and it's not all just bad luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here