Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Italy Vs Spain

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Clutching perhaps, but whilst there was a lot of high quality football last night, almost all of it was in the middle third. I felt neither side looked convincing either in defence or attack. Italy gave away a lot of chances, Spain should’ve been 2 or 3 up at half time.

Italy needed 27 shots to score 2 against Austria. We needed 5 against Germany for 2 goals, and 10 v Ukraine for 4 goals.

We don’t create that many chances, but we are very clinical when we do.

Of course, we have to beat the Danes first and that’s going to be tough.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Clutching perhaps, but whilst there was a lot of high quality football last night, almost all of it was in the middle third. I felt neither side looked convincing either in defence or attack. Italy gave away a lot of chances, Spain should’ve been 2 or 3 up at half time.

Italy needed 27 shots to score 2 against Austria. We needed 5 against Germany for 2 goals, and 10 v Ukraine for 4 goals.

Kane’s left foot volley from outside the box that the Ukrainian keeper got a hand to was just insane and gives me a degree of confidence that whatever was up with him in the first two games is now sorted. Every time I watch that I expect it to go in. At his best Kane is unplayable in and around the box and I’m hoping he’s hitting form at exactly the right moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I thought the Spanish defence was excellent last night. Their reading of the game was top notch and usually enabled them to put a leg out and intercept a ball. And their right back was good at getting forward. I think it was more a case of two great teams cancelling each other than neither looking convincing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Started slow but that ended up a superb watch.. The Italians wanted pens and you can see why

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In a tournament blessed with many fine games, this was fittingly the best one so far. Absolutely thrilling to watch.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not said anything I regret or that isn’t true. Won’t be posting on here tomorrow during the game - I’ll be out enjoying the game and the social aspects like normal people do with England games ;) Never post on here during an Albion or England game - way too involved in what’s happening!

(It was a fabulous game last night)
I hope you are not interpreting that I am anti England, far from it, I have not posted anything negative apart from my opinion of what I saw in the first 3 games.
We have improved and I think it will be close tonight but we have a great chance, not going to talk about the final until later tonight.
But I really admire your passion but this is where we differ.
I always want England to win but when it really matters I expect them to lose either by playing really well but going out on penalties or a fluke goal or a terrible ref decision (thank God VAR is working well at this tournament, we may need it with our history, Lampards 'goal') or a totally abject display that we have turned in too many times in the past (Iceland for example)
I am concerned for your blood pressure though, do try and stay calm, this is England in a semi final, I really hope we can break the hoodoo tonight.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
(It was a fabulous game last night)
I hope you are not interpreting that I am anti England, far from it, I have not posted anything negative apart from my opinion of what I saw in the first 3 games.
We have improved and I think it will be close tonight but we have a great chance, not going to talk about the final until later tonight.
But I really admire your passion but this is where we differ.
I always want England to win but when it really matters I expect them to lose either by playing really well but going out on penalties or a fluke goal or a terrible ref decision (thank God VAR is working well at this tournament, we may need it with our history, Lampards 'goal') or a totally abject display that we have turned in too many times in the past (Iceland for example)
I am concerned for your blood pressure though, do try and stay calm, this is England in a semi final, I really hope we can break the hoodoo tonight.

Ha I’m fine and wasn’t getting at anyone in particular I just noticed a few negative comments - def wasn’t you from what I remember! I’m calm, chilled, if we lose I’m used to it and we’ve done well regardless - came across wrong last night I guess…! Come on England!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought the Spanish defence was excellent last night. Their reading of the game was top notch and usually enabled them to put a leg out and intercept a ball. And their right back was good at getting forward. I think it was more a case of two great teams cancelling each other than neither looking convincing.

I thought both were quite poor at finishing when they actually got through - Italy were surprisingly timid early on when they got through a couple of times. Both played some lovely stuff in the middle third, admittedly.

Also, Spain caused them a lot of problems at the back - I thought Italy's defence looked a lot leakier than I expected. If you put Kane and Sterling in that Spain side, they would've scored 2 or 3.

I'm not saying we're going to win it or anything like that - small matter of beating the Danes first - just that I was expecting a defensive masterclass from Italy and that's definitely not what we saw. I'm more confident now than I was before last night's game. Italy can be got at.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kane’s left foot volley from outside the box that the Ukrainian keeper got a hand to was just insane and gives me a degree of confidence that whatever was up with him in the first two games is now sorted. Every time I watch that I expect it to go in. At his best Kane is unplayable in and around the box and I’m hoping he’s hitting form at exactly the right moment.

Put Kane in that Spain team last night and they win the game comfortably. It was painfully obvious how much they were missing a prime Torres/Villa/Costa.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought both were quite poor at finishing when they actually got through - Italy were surprisingly timid early on when they got through a couple of times. Both played some lovely stuff in the middle third, admittedly.

Also, Spain caused them a lot of problems at the back - I thought Italy's defence looked a lot leakier than I expected. If you put Kane and Sterling in that Spain side, they would've scored 2 or 3.

I'm not saying we're going to win it or anything like that - small matter of beating the Danes first - just that I was expecting a defensive masterclass from Italy and that's definitely not what we saw. I'm more confident now than I was before last night's game. Italy can be got at.

I respectfully disagree.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Disagree. Spain's defending has been poor throughout the tournament, which is why they've conceded so many goals, although that has been exacerbated by a dodgy goalkeeper who would send shockwaves through any defence at this level (strange they didn't have alternatives ... oh, wait).
I said after we tonked City at the Amex that Eric Garcia is shit, and last night or this tournament has not disabused me of that view. Laporte has gone downhill, Alba's past his best, but I agree about Azpilehowdoyouspellhisname?

Edit: just seen your recent post, am I allowed to disrespectfully disagree? Or disagree disrespectfully?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Started slow but that ended up a superb watch.. The Italians wanted pens and you can see why

Donnarumma hands.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I tend to agree with this. It was certainly a good game where Italy had fewer chances but their goal was smartly taken. Spain created a bit more but on that evidence we have 3 or 4 strikers who would walk into that team.

Whoever plays Italy will surely have a plan to allow them more possession but attack them directly when the chance presents itself. Both Denmark and England have excelled at this in the knockout stages. If Italy play England, they will be worried that we don't concede as readily as we have done in the past. As such, if Italy fall a goal behind pretty early, I expect them to take risks pretty quickly. If they play Denmark, they'll be more patient if that happens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree. Spain's defending has been poor throughout the tournament, which is why they've conceded so many goals, although that has been exacerbated by a dodgy goalkeeper who would send shockwaves through any defence at this level (strange they didn't have alternatives ... oh, wait).
I said after we tonked City at the Amex that Eric Garcia is shit, and last night or this tournament has not disabused me of that view. Laporte has gone downhill, Alba's past his best, but I agree about Azpilehowdoyouspellhisname?

Edit: just seen your recent post, am I allowed to disrespectfully disagree? Or disagree disrespectfully?

I must admit I don’t think I have seen any of Spain’s other games but I thought they were excellent last night. It’s a game of opinions.

You can disagree how you like….but with an exclamation mark!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here