Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It was Hoskins

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would be happy if we snapped him up for say 500k in the summer...he 24/25 I think, so a decent age and looks like a quite inventive player as well as knowing where the net is.

We should be able to secure him for less than our bid of yesterday i would think at the end of the season, escpecially now he knows of our interest...why wouldnt he want to come....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I didn't say he was a shit player, I said he was a good player. But I'm not convinced he's the sort of player with a stomach for a fight. As you know, he arrived at Rovers on a free from Watford because he couldn't cut it in the championship.

Mind you, if Gus rates him who am I to argue?

Sorry, but which part of scoring 18 goals in a relegation fight, displays a lack of stomach for a fight?

I think your opinion is based entirely on the fact that he bleaches his hair.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion missed out on a big money move for Bristol Rovers striker Will Hoskins before the loan transfer deadline.

The table-topping Seagulls were prepared to shatter their transfer record with a package deal for the former Watford marksman reportedly worth close to £1 million.

But the deal fell through as relegation-haunted Rovers were unable to land a suitable replacement before last night’s 5pm cut-off.

Hoskins has scored 19 goals in 40 games this season for a Rovers side heading for the drop from League One.

He was set to join Albion on loan initially and then permanently in the summer in a deal which would have smashed the £500,000 they paid Manchester United for Andy Ritchie 31 years ago.

Hoskins will instead be leading the Rovers attack tonight at home to promotion-chasing Peterborough but the Championship-bound Seagulls could renew their long-standing interest in the highly-rated 24-year-old during the close season. They were keen on him well before he scored two well-taken goals in Albion’s 4-2 victory at Rovers last month.

Hoskins, sold by Rotherham to Watford when they were in the Premier League, can operate as an orthdox striker or wide on the left.

Championship strugglers Scunthorpe had two bids for him rejected during the January transfer window.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, but which part of scoring 18 goals in a relegation fight, displays a lack of stomach for a fight?

I think your opinion is based entirely on the fact that he bleaches his hair.
I'm basing my opinions on my reading of the Bristol Rovers message board over the past few months. You appear to basing yours on the BBC goalscoring chart page.

There could be any number of reasons why he's scored 18 goals. Firstly, he is obviously quite GOOD at this level. But is he also the penalty taker? Has he been up front on his own for most of the season? (he was played out of position under Penney) Is he a bit of a flat track bully?

I don't think goals scored is the only indicator you should look at. All I'm saying is that I'm not quite convinced that he's the man for a team with striker rotation policy with stiff competition for places. Gus may think otherwise, we shall see...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm basing my opinions on my reading of the Bristol Rovers message board over the past few months. You appear to basing yours on the BBC goalscoring chart page.

There could be any number of reasons why he's scored 18 goals. Firstly, he is obviously quite GOOD at this level. But is he also the penalty taker? Has he been up front on his own for most of the season? (he was played out of position under Penney) Is he a bit of a flat track bully?

I don't think goals scored is the only indicator you should look at. All I'm saying is that I'm not quite convinced that he's the man for a team with striker rotation policy with stiff competition for places. Gus may think otherwise, we shall see...

No, my opinion is based on when I've seen him play myself, for both Rotherham and Rovers.

And no, he doesn't take the penalties - Hughes does.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One thing we do know is that Gus and his team will have done all the necessary research on the player to make sure he is the right type of character as well as player.

I think the last time we left a division and bought the best player we faced in it was when we bought Lawrenson. Or do you think Harley was that player ?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
So what if he can score penalties? He'd have given us 6 more goals this season.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Surely after this season we can't knock a striker for scoring penalties! We would probably already be promoted if we had someone who could score them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In that case, you should have said so instead of pointlessly quoting how many goals he's scored this season.

I'll leave this here, as you're being a dick.

How is the number of GOALS he's SCORED pointless? Ridiculous.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
surely for "close to" £1million we can get a striker that is proven at Championship level?

agreed, £1,000,000 is a lot of money for a player who has previously struggled in the Championship. We should be able to get someone like Leroy Lita who has been scoring goals for a few years in the Championship

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Massive show of intent. We have got to be the most exciting team to be supporting in the country. For the record i think he is an excellent player. He's obviously got something for Watford to take him on when they were in the prem. He's only 24 and i think would prove a good signing for us in the champ.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll leave this here, as you're being a dick.

How is the number of GOALS he's SCORED pointless? Ridiculous.
It isn't, and I'm not. Let's recap: I suggested that I'm not convinced he's the right man because whilst he is a useful league one player, he may not have a stomach for a fight when the going gets tough at a higher level. You responded to this "horseshit" by initially quoting his goal tally, not with your own anecdotal evidence which I would have been MUCH more interested to hear about.

But we shall see - in Gus we trust, and all that.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
agreed, £1,000,000 is a lot of money for a player who has previously struggled in the Championship. We should be able to get someone like Leroy Lita who has been scoring goals for a few years in the Championship

The difference between the 2 is wages though. Its all very wel saying 1mil can be spent better elsewhere but established champ players like Lita must be on wages of close to £20,000 i imagine Hoskins would be half of that. Thats over half a mil difference in one season of wages alone.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If nothing else it shows that the summer is going to fun and Gus and Bloom are not going to be afraid to spend to get the right players in. Relegation fight or mid table nothingness are not going to be an option

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here