Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It looks like we are in for a formation change.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I like the look of that formation to start a game and then when we get in front by a couple of goals perhaps close the game down by taking off one of the front 3 for a more defensive man in the likes of Barnes or perhaps even Dicker. The square peg for me is Croft I canot see what he offers us at the moment that others do not offer more of. That formation plus perhaps VVD or similar will see us home and dry to a play off place.

That formation PLUS vvd?

You want to play 13 players - that should beat most teams I agree

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's the cautious approach that is the problem. How many times in the past have we got ourselves on a good footing, only to come unstuck in the really important game, because we have flooded the midfield with defencive minded players and tactics. If you go into a game with your primary goal, not to lose it. Chances are you will lose and it's hard to change the players mind set and game plan once you have gone behind. This could go some way to explaining why we haven't won a game, coming from behind since Noah and his ark. This has got to change, otherwise we will go on little runs, only to end up disappointed time and time again. Firstly and foremostly we have to go out and try and win games, not go out and trying not to lose them. And that means, when you do go one nil or two nil up, don't drop off and contain, go for the kill and get three or four....If we end up losing, so be it. But go out on your sword, not with a whimper and an excuse.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Vicente was crap last night and i would played barnes or cms up top with vicente behind the striker that's what i would of done yesterday against Blackburn

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Vicente was crap last night and i would played barnes or cms up top with vicente behind the striker that's what i would of done yesterday against Blackburn
I agree, Vicente is best served threading those passes through to a forward. He's wasted up top.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

It was the mans first game in 5 months, what exactly were you expecting ?... him to rip them to shreds and score 2 everytime he walks on the pitch !

There is no doubt he operated better from a deeper position, but I didnt hear anyone whineging when he ran the Chelsea game from that position.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It was the mans first game in 5 months, what exactly were you expecting ?... him to rip them to shreds and score 2 everytime he walks on the pitch !

There is no doubt he operated better from a deeper position, but I didnt hear anyone whineging when he ran the Chelsea game from that position.

I was surprized he didnt feed the five thousand - turn water into wine and walk on water - i thought a couple of goals and a few assists wouldnt be beyond him....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We were lucky last night,just like we were unlucky on Saturday, but we have got to start making are own luck. Talk like a loser and I will show you a loser. We should adopt the "f*** um" attitude a bit more, with the players we have got we should fear no one at all in this league.

Now that's more like constructive criticism as opposed to 'sack him and him, fire him' etc. I like the thought of adopting the 'f*** 'em' attitude, let them worry about us. When you watch/listen to teams like Blackburn that just foul to break up possession it shows they do have a degree of fear about us anyway, we should build on it.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Christ, people seem to forget just how long Poyet has been a manager. Managers way more experienced than Poyet get team formation or personell wrong every now and then

The only other person I know who tinkers and makes bizarre team selection and formation is Rafa Benitez.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I know when Poyet tried three at the back against Millwall(I think it was) it failed miserably. Was this down to lack of working on the formation or lack of the proper personal. Seeing as almost everyone wants to see two up front and we need to attack teams more, how playing three at the back with Greer/EL Abd and Bridcutt just a little bit advanced of them in between them. Two wing backs to provide the width, Bridge has got the engine for that and I think Bruno would excel in that position and Calderon would equally be happy playing that role. Vicente just behind a front two of Cms and Ulloa. With two of Lopez/Buckley/Orlandi just tucked in, something like this.

-----------------------------Greer----------------El Abd----------------------
---------------------------------------Bridcutt-------------------------------
Bruno/Calderon----------------------------------------------------------Bridge
-------------------Lopez/Buckley-------------------Orlandi/Lualua-------------
---------------------------------------Vicente--------------------------------
-----------------------Ulloa/Barnes-------------Cms/Hoskins-------------------

Subs......Hammond, Crofts, New cb, and others as listed above.
With the players we have in the squad, I think that could be our best and most attacking formation.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing

i wasnt haveing a dig at him i would play either barnes or cms up front with vicente behind the front man

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good idea. If we want to lose 6-0.
We could conceivably lose 6-0 anyway, against a seasoned Champs League side full of internationals.
It certainly wouldn't be a Villa-esque humiliation.

Gus can't have it both ways, he can't complain about drawing too many games, while playing a defensively minded team.

In the same way he can't complain about giving up leads when he almost always removes our attacking options, on 70 mins in favour of Dicker and Crofts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here