Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Wight Visible From Brighton?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fascinating - I've never seen a map showing the location of the workhouse. I was born there!

(The maternity ward was closed down due to an outbreak of something deadly - diphtheria I believe; several babies and a couple of nurses had died, so I've been told - so the workhouse was dusted down and re-opened and expectant mums hustled to safety in there). Nice easy journey from there downhill to Whippingham Road and (then) home!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fascinating - I've never seen a map showing the location of the workhouse. I was born there!

(The maternity ward was closed down due to an outbreak of something deadly - diphtheria I believe; several babies and a couple of nurses had died, so I've been told - so the workhouse was dusted down and re-opened and expectant mums hustled to safety in there). Nice easy journey from there downhill to Whippingham Road and (then) home!
Ironically a road with an IOW name again.

I took a picture of the old hospital last night. Imposing as ever

1717766775562.jpeg

Wrote some more stuff about the history here. Very haunted by all accounts. Feeds in to what you said.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was 10 years ago this month, on the day of the dead rubber against Costa Rica, that it appears I last visited the IOW.

It rather looks like it may have been my last from the write up

It's not really a place for adults unless you fancy walking or a bike ride. Some may differ. I do like the trains though.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

View attachment 183624

Wrote some more stuff about the history here. Very haunted by all accounts. Feeds in to what you said.

nice read

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed, a veritable small estate of streets named after places in the IOW (or possibly after small steam engines built in Brighton works around the time they were built!) :)

View attachment 183624

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Used to work on the top floor of BGH and you could see the Isle of Wight but only on very and dry days.
IMG_8395.png

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I always thought it was Bembridge Cliffs which are at the eastern end of the 'diamond shape' island. They are 43 metres high.
I am pretty sure its Culver down/Horseshoe bay that you see as cliffs which are the high bit to the south of Bembridge. If you focus in on the area just above the white cliff you can see a spike which I believe is the The Earl Yarborough's Monument...

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Taken from the top of elm Grove, is this the Isle of Wight? The trees on the right hide the fact that there is a clear expanse of sea between it and the mainland.

Attachments

• 20240912_164159.jpg
    20240912_164159.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here