Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Wight Visible From Brighton?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From Warren Road. Isle of Wight on the left, Worthing Pier clearly visible on the right. Would love to know what’s between. Chichester? Dorset?View attachment 183595
I accept what is shown but it means the online horizon calculation (which makes the horizon only 50 miles away) must be incorrect. Perhaps this also means that the longevity calculator (which predicts my lifespan to extend into my 120s) may also be incorrect. Bloody internet!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't know why but I read that as Ian Wright visible from Brighton.

Must make a coffee and pull myself together!

TNBA

TTF
1717752921028.png

Only just visible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Using your calculations you’re referencing the ocean surface at the IoW as being out of sight (which it is) and not accounting for the land height
Ah! That explains it. Can you check the height of Ventnor and redo the calculation? I'm a bit busy this morning. Thanks :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You'd be better off going to the old Roman Fort on the edge of Hollingbury Golf Course to see it - does require a clear day though.
Aye, I live just round the corner from the woods, and go up there regularly, often seeing it on a clear day. Early yesterday morning it was delightful up there, lovely clear sky but just too much haze for the IoW

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I reckon the bit that you can see from the race course area is Bonchurch and St Boniface Down near Ventnor and Shanklin and probably further back too where the Rowridge TV transmitter is situated. I often wonder if the Victorian Brighton road planners were inspired by this view to give the streets on one side of Elm Grove Isle of Wight names. An additional set of streets, also with IOW names, was originally planned to extend northwards over what is now the Brighton and Preston cemetery but were never built, but weirdly appear on old maps of the area as if they had been.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hardly likely to be Dorset, surely - that's further away the IOW.

This picture was taken on an exceptionally clear day. The bit between Worthing and the IOW is not usually visible and if you look at the photo it looks beyond the IOW, not before.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I reckon the bit that you can see from the race course area is Bonchurch and St Boniface Down near Ventnor and Shanklin and probably further back too where the Rowridge TV transmitter is situated. I often wonder if the Victorian Brighton road planners were inspired by this view to give the streets on one side of Elm Grove Isle of Wight names. An additional set of streets, also with IOW names, was originally planned to extend northwards over what is now the Brighton and Preston cemetery but were never built, but weirdly appear on old maps of the area as if they had been.
That is EXCITING. I need the proof though. Show me the maps !

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I accept what is shown but it means the online horizon calculation (which makes the horizon only 50 miles away) must be incorrect. Perhaps this also means that the longevity calculator (which predicts my lifespan to extend into my 120s) may also be incorrect. Bloody internet!
Harry... I know with one of the calculators it assumes you are at sea level where as once you add the 400 feet of the race course the horizon can be further away.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This picture was taken on an exceptionally clear day. The bit between Worthing and the IOW is not usually visible and if you look at the photo it looks beyond the IOW, not before.
If you go on to Google maps and draw a straight line from Brighton, it can reach past the IOW to get to Dorset without going over Selsey Bill. I reckon that is what you can see - I know it's quite flat, but Dorset isn't mountainous either. It does look further away, I know, but I think that's just the way it looks.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
That is EXCITING. I need the proof though. Show me the maps !
Yes its interesting. It was an official OS map too! Cant find the map at the moment. I was hoping it would be one of the ones on the Library of Scotland site. They have one at the Keep and I took some photos of it whilst researching the history of the area about six years ago. I`ll look for it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If you go on to Google maps and draw a straight line from Brighton, it can reach past the IOW to get to Dorset without going over Selsey Bill. I reckon that is what you can see - I know it's quite flat, but Dorset isn't mountainous either. It does look further away, I know, but I think that's just the way it looks.

I think @Wardy's twin has answered the question, it’s the IOW in two parts!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think @Wardy's twin has answered the question, it’s the IOW in two parts!
if you zoom in on the pics you can see either radio masts above ventnor or the tower at whitecliff and the yacht in the middle. These pictures were taken after a heavy rain burst and before another bout of heavy rain , hence why they are dark but under those conditions you get very good viewing i.e. no haze.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not Selsey that's the cliffs from Whitecliff bay on the IOW and is high enough to be seen behind selsey.
I always thought it was Bembridge Cliffs which are at the eastern end of the 'diamond shape' island. They are 43 metres high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here