Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this art ?

Sep 1, 2010
Portraits? It's just someone painting someone else! It's not Art is it.

The question is not whether it's art, it's what was the artists intention

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's rubbish is that.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I do not buy this 'it made you stop and think' bollocks. A colourful advert in a shop window makes me stop (momentarily) and think.

A recent example was meandering through a Military Defence forest and almost stumbling over a dog poo in the shap of a Walnut Whip. It wasn't conceptual or consequential or inconsequential art, but it made me stop and think. 'Art' is such a minefield now. I produce a Tracy Enim every time I leave home. I produced a Grayson Perry when I was 4 and a I was wearing a dress like thing called a 'smock'.

Sep 1, 2010
Art:
Something that is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

I would argue this satisfies none of the three criteria, so is not art.

Basic definition IMO. The wrong question is being answered at best here.

Art does not have boundary it just exists in whatever the artist wants to create.

Many pieces of art were scorned in its early years only to be revered in its latter form

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if its been placed/arranged/directed by someone educated at a recognised art college who has some meaningful justification for it, no matter how batshit or concieted, then it is art. very simple.

if a couple of 6th formers or undergrads left it their with some lights on it, its vandalism. unless they were art sudents in which case the above applies.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
you could call it art,but then taking a dump on the pavement and sticking a couple of old mobile phones into it could be classed as art, so i guess it is

When we were kids we used to poke lolly sticks in the "Mr Whippy" style dog poos to give the illusion of a "99". Wish I'd taken photo's, could've probably sold them to the Tate.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No, this is art

0.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Did it make you stop? And think what it was about? Then yes.

A very good answer, which I think concisely sums up the way to think about modern art.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A very good answer, which I think concisely sums up the way to think about modern art.

Which also highlights the lack of any real skill involved in most modern art, any idiot can "create" something that makes people stop and think what it's about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here