Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this art ?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
If some PRIVATE investor wants to pay money to buy or exhibit it then it's art, if the council hands someone public money for putting lights on a skip it's a con and a disgrace.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Which also highlights the lack of any real skill involved in most modern art, any idiot can "create" something that makes people stop and think what it's about.

I suppose the quality of the art is in how long it stops you for, and how long it stays in your mind. Or, perhaps, the quality of the thoughts it gives you. I'm not really sure, but I think Lush's post is a good place to start from.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Does that mean a suicide bomber is a misunderstood artist then?

I believe protocol upon spotting a suicide bomber is not to stop and think, but rather, to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Personally, I can't see anything but a skip, if it's generated this much debate though, then it's served its purpose so I'd say that it worked. Couldn't care less if it's actually "art" or not, but it got a buzz going and that's essentially the point. I don't buy this whole "but anyone could do that" nonsense, if anybody really COULD then why are the people that say that never making money from modern art themselves? If it truly was that easy then everyone would be doing it, especially the "easy money by selling junk to mugs" brigade.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I do not buy this 'it made you stop and think' bollocks. A colourful advert in a shop window makes me stop (momentarily) and think.

Marketing is arguably the greatest art form of the 20th Century. There is a hell of a lot of advertising which I define as "proper" art rather than a chuffing skip with lights on it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Marketing is arguably the greatest art form of the 20th Century. There is a hell of a lot of advertising which I define as "proper" art rather than a chuffing skip with lights on it.

The skip is chuffing? Oh, well that changes everything.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
at night its art,during the day a nice looking skip. If it were in St leonards it would have been full up by now. You are lucky to have such a nice looking skip. :love:

May 17, 2011
1066 country
also it was on tv last night so you'll have a lot more people visiting Brighton spending their money & helping to pay alot of peoples wages to see what it's all about. What a skip. :clap:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's definetely art. It might not be good, or you might not like it, but if someone calls it art, it pretty much is art.

Also can anyone imagine the piss-taking this site would subject a modern art forum to, if they started discussing football in such a misunderstood and clueless way?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
You have to look beyond that, Its a skip with lights on. :lol:
i say again, it's a skip. the lights were probably added by a person with impaired vision who unfortunately walked into it when it was just a SKIP. They then added the lights to ensure that nobody else did the same. I fart at your art. :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
when we were bottom of the fourth division, were we a team that you could say played 'football'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here